Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December's book

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

December's book

Chosen by Almita, the book for December is going to be The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares. It is the sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but, I don't think it will be the type that you have to read the first to enjoy the second. I, personally, though, am probably going to go ahead and get both. So, the book has been chosen. I will post the schedule for the chapters and discussions here in the next week or so. We will be having weekly discussions! So, a lot of us will have to seriously slow down and pick up another book or something so that we don't read ahead. Anyway, happy book hunting! And, thanks Almita, for choosing what's sure to be a fun read!

Schedule for December's chapters to be read and discussed...

now (November 27) through December 4...read prologue and chapters 1 - 5

December 5 through 11...read chapters 6 - 14 (discuss 1 -5)

December 12 through 18...read chapters 15 - 22 (discuss 6 - 12)

December 19 through 25...read chapters 23 - 27 (discuss 12 - 19)

December 26th through 31...open discussion for chapters 23 - 27 and final discussion on the book.

Members and Rules

My apologies for letting November go by the wayside...I don't really have much of an excuse except that I didn't feel like people were still interested. My fault, completely, and, we will give December a real go, and, see how it all works out.
    Last edited by finn's mom; 11-28-2005 at 12:59 AM.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Cool! I recently read a review of that book. I think if you know the basic oremise of the first book, you'll do fine. (Haven't read either, promise not to read ahead this time!)

your welcome Kari, I just love reading books when I get the time!
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

We actually already have both of those books!!! Helen has read both of them and I will enjoy reading them too!!!

Wonderful! I read the first one a while ago and loved it but my library didn't carry the second one so I didn't get a chance to read it. Now, I'll have a good excuse when I ask to buy it from the bookstore
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Oh cool!! I will probably get both of them too.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I've already read it but it was great! I'm looking forward to reading it again....I personally think it is a book that people would understand more by readig the first too..

I'm going today to get both of the books!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Is there a 3rd one too? I thought I saw one at the store, but maybe it was just the first one in a diff cover..?? I saw the movie and will assume I know enough to read #2 hahaha.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    Is there a 3rd one too? I thought I saw one at the store, but maybe it was just the first one in a diff cover..?? I saw the movie and will assume I know enough to read #2 hahaha.

Yeah, I think there's a third one. I just got the first one last night. I'll read it and then go get the second one.

I bought my copy of the book! I'm starting the first one tonight, though. I hope to be able to finish it before we start discussing the first set of chapters after the first week next month. I hope everyone's gotten their copy, or has one on hold or ordered!

Just bumping this up...I read half of the first book last night, it's really cute. I like the author's style a lot so far. It's a young adult book, but, it's fun. Hope you guys are able to get November's book! I made it so that the first week is a light one, only about 80 pages. That way, if folks still haven't gotten the book, as long as they get it before the fifth or sixth, it won't take long to read the first five chapters.

I haven't finished the first book, yet, but, I plan on to tomorrow or Monday. Don't forget that we'll start reading November's book on Tuesday!

I've requested both the first and second fromthe library...hope they come in soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom
    I've requested both the first and second fromthe library...hope they come in soon!

We're only really discussing the first five chapters on the sixth, so, as long as you get it by the fourth or fifth, that should be enough time to read those few pages. I hope you're able to get it. We chose the book on the 17th, so, I'm hoping that's enough time for everyone!