Thread: Motherless newborn kittens? HELP

Motherless newborn kittens? HELP

Ok - I am not a cat person and I don't really know much about them but - my neighbors have strays every fall & spring. they ususally have litters and fend for themselves etc. this weekend we heard crying - walked over and in the bushes we saw 2 newborn kittens - they were dry - but didn't even have their eyes open yet. They were snuggled up trying to stay warm. We heard more crying - at a different location across the way but couldn't find the source. I thought maybe the mother kitten was moving her young. Well 2 days have passed and the kittens are still in the same spot, crying and trying to keep warm. Should I be worried? Would the mother leave her young there? Is she feeding them? I haven't touched them because I always heard that if you touched wild baby animals then the mother wouldn't care for them. Is this true? Should I call a local vet? I dont' want them to starve to death! Help!

Yes you should be worried if you haven't seen mom cat for days. Something could've happened to her. The kittens will die if not kept warm and fed every couple hours. They need to go where someone can feed and care for them.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I agree, if the mother hasn't been there in two days, the kittens could be in critical shape! I don't know that much about such young kittens either, but to me it seems possible that the mother cat has been around because these kittens might actually be dead already if she hadn't been there in two days.

Gee, I sure hope somebody with more tiny kitten knowledge responds before it's too late.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Me too! I thought for sure they would have died by now if there indeed was no mother cat around. Every time I go to check on them - it's just them laying there - all alone! The neighbor has 3-4 stray adult cats - one of them could be the mother - but I just would think she would be w/ her young. I don't know!!

Motherless newborn kittens? Help

I will have to say I have rescued tiny new borns before.. Ok need to know are they still there & if so they are prob in dehi now.. Get them & put on a heating pad on just a tiny bit of warmth.. If no heating pad then put warm water in a hot water bottle & wrap with blanket.. Then go to your Walmart or pet store or Vet & get newborn feeding bottle & some newborn can milk.. Warm milk with warm water lightly & try to feed each baby.. Then put baby tummy down in palm of hand & rub gentle on back to burp & have warm cloth to rub the bottom area to stimulate for them to pepe & popo.. Within 8 to 10 days eyes will try to open & you may need to help with damp warm cloth & rub just a littlebit.. Oh I wish I could be there for these babies.. Please update on them ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I'm afraid I don't know much about newborn kittens, except when we moved 5 from the place they were born and took them to a kitty house nearby we had built (making sure the mother saw it), the mother didn't want to have anything to do with them Perhaps if you do move them, take a clean pair of gloves on.

Best of luck saving the poor kittens!

I found this article:

Article Printed From: AnimalHelp.Com

Raising Orphaned Kittens
    Author: Pet Encyclopedia

Raising an orphaned kitten can be a very heartwarming and rewarding experience. However, it takes a great deal of care and commitment. This fact sheet begins by discussing the care of orphaned newborn kittens.

What problems am I likely to face with an orphaned kitten?

Three common and potentially life-threatening problems in orphaned newborns are chilling, dehydration, and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). All three may be present together in a kitten that has been abandoned and exposed to the elements. These problems can also develop in a kitten under your care unless you are paying close attention.

1. Chilling

Newborn kittens cannot regulate their body temperature very well. They quickly become chilled, or hypothermic if their mother, their siblings, or their environment does not keep them warm. It will be necessary to provide a heat source for your kitten for the first few weeks of life. Suitable heat sources include hot water bottles and heat lamps. Heating pads can burn the kittens and should be avoided. Whichever heat source you use, make sure the kitten doesn't become overheated or burned. In addition, avoid drafts by placing the kitten's box away from windows, doorways, and air-conditioning vents.

During the first 4 days of life, aim to keep the temperature in the box at kitten-level between 85°F and 90°F. Gradually decrease the temperature to about 80°F by day 7-10. If you are raising a litter of kittens, the temperature can be a little lower, as the kittens will huddle together and keep one another warmer.

The normal rectal temperature for a newborn kitten is 95-99°F. If its rectal temperature is below 94°F you are dealing with a potentially life-threatening case of hypothermia. The kitten needs to be warmed immediately. Take care not to overheat the kitten or warm it too quickly; this can be fatal in a weak kitten.

2. Dehydration

Newborn kittens quickly become dehydrated if they are not nursing. They can also become dehydrated if their environment is hot and dry. Two indicators of dehydration are loss of elasticity in the skin (the skin stays tented when gently pinched up) and decreased saliva production (the gums and tongue feel tacky or dry).

In addition to providing adequate nutrition, you may need to humidify the kitten box or room if the kitten is small or weak. Be careful not to make the box too hot and humid; this can cause respiratory distress. A home humidifier should be adequate.

3. Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia quickly develops in a newborn that is not nursing frequently. As hypoglycemia worsens, the kitten becomes progressively more depressed and weak. Without treatment it may develop muscle twitches or seizures (convulsions) and then it becomes unresponsive and comatose. If it is showing any of these signs place a few drops of corn syrup on its tongue. This simple procedure is often sufficient to revive a hypoglycemic kitten. Also watch for signs of hypoglycemia over the next several days, as you adjust your kitten's feeding schedule.

What should I feed the kitten?

Until the kitten is old enough to start eating solid food (about 3 weeks of age), you'll need to feed it a milk replacer. The best milk replacer is a commercial formula that is specifically developed for kittens. There are several good products available. In an emergency, use canned goat's milk or the following recipe:

-1 cup of whole milk

-1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

-1 pinch of salt

-3 egg yolks

-Blend the mixture well.

For very young kittens, warm the milk replacer to 95-100°F before feeding it, and test the temperature on the underside of your wrist as you would a baby's bottle. In older kittens, the milk replacer can be fed at room temperature.

How do I feed the kitten?

There are several methods of feeding milk replacer to a kitten. Probably the easiest and safest way in an emergency is with a medicine dropper. Spoon-feeding is slow and messy, and there is a risk that some of the liquid will trickle into the kitten's lungs.

Baby bottles made for kittens are excellent if the kitten has a good suck reflex. Take some time to check the hole in the nipple before using the bottle the first time. The hole is the right size if, when you turn the bottle upside down, milk replacer drips from the nipple with only a gentle squeeze of the bottle.

If milk drips or streams from the nipple without you squeezing the bottle, the hole is too large. In this situation, too much milk may enter the kitten's mouth and some may be inhaled rather than swallowed. If when you upend the bottle, you must squeeze it firmly to get milk to drip from the nipple, the hole needs to be enlarged. Otherwise, the kitten will become discouraged or exhausted when nursing and may even refuse to nurse. To enlarge the hole, heat a needle and then pierce the tip of the nipple a few times.

If the kitten is weak and has a poor suck reflex, it is necessary to feed the kitten through a tube inserted into its stomach. Your veterinarian will place the tube and instruct you on how to maintain it for feeding.

How much and how often should I feed the kitten?

Follow the directions for feeding amount on the commercial milk replacer packaging. First, weigh your kitten using a scale that is accurate to the ounce or gram. Unless the milk replacer package gives amounts per feeding, take the total daily amount recommended and divide it by the number of feedings per 24-hour period. If the kitten is small or weak, we recommend feeding it every 3-4 hours. That means 6 meals (every 4 hours) or 8 meals (every 3 hours) per 24 hours. With older kittens, feeding four meals per 24-hour period, equally spaced every 6 hours, is adequate. By the end of the third week, you should be able to start weaning your kitten.

I've heard that orphaned kittens need help defecating. Is this true?

Mothers stimulate their kittens to defecate (pass stool) by licking or nuzzling around it's anus. To prevent your orphaned kitten from becoming constipated, you'll need to mimic this action using a soft cloth or cotton ball moistened with warm water. Gently stimulate the kitten's anal area after feeding for the first 2 weeks of its life.

When can I start weaning my kitten?

Your kitten will be ready to eat solid food by 3-4 weeks of age. A simple way of weaning kittens is described in the article, Feline: Raising Kittens. Also discussed on that sheet is a suitable diet for your weaned kitten.

When should I bring my kitten in for its vaccinations?

The usual recommendation is to start kittens on their lifelong vaccination program at 6-8 weeks of age. If your kitten did not get to nurse from its mother in the first few days of life, its vaccination program should start earlier, at 2-4 weeks of age. The reasons are discussed on the fact sheet, Feline: Raising Kittens. Also on that sheet is a list of the vaccinations commonly recommended for kittens. Your veterinarian can recommend what is best for your kitten.

Does my kitten need to be treated for worms?

Internal parasites (worms) are common in kittens. Some of these parasites are passed from the mother to the kittens; fleas transmit others. Routinely deworm kittens every few weeks. Your veterinarian can advise you on an appropriate deworming program for your kitten. Avoid over the counter deworming products. Many of these products can be useless and even dangerous if improperly given.
    Last edited by Randi; 10-17-2005 at 10:42 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

If you cannot help them yourself,and I am in that same boat,keep them warm and fed,and call your nearest shelter,as they quite often have Nursing Mothers,that they could put those poor Kittens in with.
    We are praying for those Little Ones!
    Please keep us informed!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Please don't leave them if you haven't seen the mama cat. Find some help nearby, like everyone else has said. Our little Cleo was all alone when she was found -- she was estimated to be about 5 days old and yowling her head off. Mama cat was nowhere to be seen and hadn't been, so something probably happened to her. And all Cleo's littermates were found dead so Cleo was probably not far off if she hadn't been found when she was. Now we are the lucky ones to have her. Good luck and keep us posted!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    In order to save the kittens lives (if it's not too late) you really should get them! Bring them to your vet if need be, but please don't leave them to die. There must be shelters in your area, call them as well. Chances are they may have a lactating female willing to take on the kittens, or at least a person willing to bottle feed them. Starvation is a brutal way to die. And it's a complete myth about handling them...just as it is with baby birds. Please keep us posted...and hopefully it's not too late. And as an afterthought...if you contact shelters willing to help, perhaps they have people willing to TNR the adults in your neighborhood, to prevent further litters. It seems as though your neighbors really don't care....*sigh*
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Good news! We informed the neighbor of the kittens and they are going to take care of them! I will keep you posted on their progress as I learn myself! Whew! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Motherless newborns

How are the babies? Has mommycat returned? Are you sure the neighbors are properly caring for them? PT wants to know.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Yeah, what Momcat said!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    What bothers me most about this entire situation is first you said this "I am not a cat person and I don't really know much about them but - my neighbors have strays every fall & spring. they ususally have litters and fend for themselves etc. this weekend we heard crying - walked over and in the bushes we saw 2 newborn kittens -"
    And then the neighbors took them in? If they are negligent and irresponsible as they sound, why allow them to go into a home where the people don't care in the first place? I'm confused by the entire situation, and wish you had gone with advice we'd given. If they even survived, they'll be the next ones fending for themselves, and reproducing everywhere.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~