Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new puppy- help

BCKrazy, why must the dog be AKC registered. The AKC registers puppy mills. My cocker is registered and we picked her up at the puppy mill where she was bred. I'd never look for a quality dog just by the fact that they are akc registered. In fact, I'd like to find breeders that don't bother handing out registrations left and right as their puppies go to god knows who. Then the new owners are less likely to breed their pets because the breeder didn't give them a registration. As for cockers, having a 14 years old puppy mill cocker and seeing many many other cockers from both breeders and mills, I'd never buy one from a reputable breeder. I'm not saying I'd flat out support bybs but I'd find one in a shelter or rescue that I knew came from a puppy mill or byb. For cockers, the conformation breeders seem to produce the poor quality dogs in health and temperment, they need to get their heads screwed on right and stop breeding for conformation because they are the ones ruining the breed.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

And dab_20, I'd buy this dog if I were looking at it. CHances are they are a person who bred their female once and are now finding out the hard way that they can't make a profit and that its also not easy to find homes for the dogs. But if I couldn't affford it currently, I'd wait.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

thanks irescue425. my mom decided she does have enough money for everything. when we went to go look at the puppy, my friend answered the door! apparently its my friends cocker. the dad was a handsome chocolate and white, and the mom was a cream color. the parents were both friendly and healthy. the puppy is soo cute! black and a white strip on the back that looks like lightning. looked very healthy. so we got him. he is a sweetie.

a couple questions. the new puppy 'humps' my female dog (whos in heat)
    should i allow that??
    and the puppy grabs ahold of mollis fur and pulls it. molli has yelped a couple times. should i just let them sort it out?? i cant tell if molli likes him or not.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

As far as the humping goes, theres really nothing you can do to stop that... its instinct kicking in, and yet ANOTHER reason why you should fix both animals asap!

facebook

all animals bite near the neck area or whatevr they can grab when they are hmpin or mating so they can keep there balance except rabbits dont do it thats prob why you havnt seen i before , umm id personally squirt him with a spray bottle or something when he tries to hump her and tell him no incase he dose in in the near futur and jessika getting him nutered wont stop him from humping i know male dogs that are fixed and still hump she also said she has enough money for him and molli to be fixed, but it dose help and by squirting it stops him from doing it when hes older and nutered. congrads on your new pup lol steal ur cam from your dad so you can take pictures
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    all animals bite near the neck area or whatevr they can grab when they are hmpin or mating so they can keep there balance except rabbits dont do it thats prob why you havnt seen i before , umm id personally squirt him with a spray bottle or something when he tries to hump her and tell him no incase he dose in in the near futur and jessika getting him nutered wont stop him from humping i know male dogs that are fixed and still hump she also said she has enough money for him and molli to be fixed, but it dose help and by squirting it stops him from doing it when hes older and nutered. congrads on your new pup lol steal ur cam from your dad so you can take pictures
    I never said it WOULD stop him from humping, but it WILL stop the urges to do so. If she isn't in heat, he won't want to hump her. Likewise if HE get neutered it will greatly reduce the chances of him roaming or wanting to roam if there is a female in heat nearby.

On the completely opposite end though, humping is not only a sign of "horniness" but a sign of dominance. Since he is new he might try humping her to display dominance. I know Jamie humped Charlie at first and they're just getting used to each other. Neither one has humped the other since they've been fixed, and now that they've gotten the dominance straightened out and know each other.

facebook

Nope she wont get pregnant males arent usaully ready to mate till aleast 6 months so watch out then.

ok thanks everyone. i know 'humping' is a display of dominence, as molli has been doing that to my puppy. (now named sammy)

but another problem. today molli bites sammy when he gets close to her will she is eating or playing. i picked molli up and she bit me!! she barks at me when i play with sammy. (although i pay equal attention to molli)
    and she wont listen to me anymore. i will yell her name but all she does is try and chase the new dog. its like since i got sammy the 'devil' is coming out of molli. will she stop being so mean when she gets used to sammy??

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

If Sammy is rough with Molli, don't pick one of them up right away. When she turns around and growls and nips quickly she is teaching him the dog command "that's enough". He should learn how to interact with dogs and what each correction means, eventually he'll learn to respect her when she's says she's had enough. Only seperate them when you think its getting too rough or when Molli needs a break from this pup.

ok thanks alot. i think they will get used to each other, but i dont know about mollis food aggression. shes been food aggresive since she was a little puppy.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    BCKrazy, why must the dog be AKC registered. The AKC registers puppy mills. My cocker is registered and we picked her up at the puppy mill where she was bred. I'd never look for a quality dog just by the fact that they are akc registered. In fact, I'd like to find breeders that don't bother handing out registrations left and right as their puppies go to god knows who. Then the new owners are less likely to breed their pets because the breeder didn't give them a registration. As for cockers, having a 14 years old puppy mill cocker and seeing many many other cockers from both breeders and mills, I'd never buy one from a reputable breeder. I'm not saying I'd flat out support bybs but I'd find one in a shelter or rescue that I knew came from a puppy mill or byb. For cockers, the conformation breeders seem to produce the poor quality dogs in health and temperment, they need to get their heads screwed on right and stop breeding for conformation because they are the ones ruining the breed.
    Are you SERIOUS? Honestly, are you?.... Wow, thats awesome advice. Just awesome. Conformation people are RUINING the Cocker Spaniel breed, and Backyard Breeders are striving to improve it. It's the BYB's that are running health and temperament tests on all of their breeding dogs and attaining CGC's before breeding. BYB's also work their azzes off socializing and training dogs so that they can be handled with ease by judges. You are sooo right!!!

I'm not saying don't rescue. Did you notice in my post that I asked her to PLEASE rescue OR find a good breeder?! Buying from a reputable breeder is as good as rescuing, in the sense that buying from a good breeder is not contributing to the overpopulation ~ good breeders have a contract with the new owner stating they get the dog back if the owner wants to abandon it, they also have contracts requiring the spaying/neutering of pet quality puppies and are given a limited registration. As far as I'm concerned, any legitimate registry is absolutely fine, as long as the dog has documentation that it is a purebred dog... I can't even count the number of people I've met who bought "purebred" Yorkie or Poodle puppies from BYB's and later found out that their dog was far from purebred. Anyway, it's kind of hypocritical that your SN is "irescue" and you encourage everyone to go out and buy the first BYB puppy ad they see in the paper! No rescue person that I know would dream of saying that, except with complete sarcasm.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

You are always awsome at formulating your ideas! Reputable, responsible conformation breeders are contributing in no way the the over pobulation problem. You can and should neuter dogs at 9 weeks or so and I am pretty sure it is only like $50.

Niņo & Eliza

it doesnt matter how old they are it is still the same price. and my vet refuses to spay or nueter a dog at nine weeks. it is NOT neccessary. my vet and most other vets say around five months is best. and i agree too.

but anyways ppl. stop trying to prove ppl wrong! no matter how much you try and convince them, they are STILL going to believe what they think is right. and i believe its just fine to buy a puppy in a news paper ad. as long as when you go see the puppy, it is as healthy as can be. there is nothing wrong with that. puppy mills are another story. also, if no one got puppies from newspapers, wouldent that mean those puppies will end up in humane societies????

and suki wingy, i love your siggies!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    You are always awsome at formulating your ideas! Reputable, responsible conformation breeders are contributing in no way the the over pobulation problem. You can and should neuter dogs at 9 weeks or so and I am pretty sure it is only like $50.
    *scoffs* $50?? right. I forked over more than $200 to get Charlie fixed, and that was AFTER they knocked off $100 AND it was the cheapest place around (in my area) to have it done. Granted, both testicles were retained, but still, $50 - $200 is quiiiite the difference. If you know of any places that DO perform this operation that cheap, let me know. Because that's amaaazing and I would really be interested

facebook

We got Micki and my RB cat Lucky fixed for free...our humane society does an annual spay/neuter program, granted, we had to drive all the way to the humane society in a snowstorm but it was worth it. For normal neutering they charge $50-$75 and to spay a female its generally a little more expensive. We haven't gotten Kyra spayed yet, our vet told us that he wouldn't do it, he wants us to take her to MSU because she is supposedly at "high risk" because of her cleft palate. We called them and they will charge us over $200 to spay a 8 pound dog! But yeah, there are some places that do low cost spay/neuters.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08