Thread: How do you keep a dog off furniture?

How do you keep a dog off furniture?

Zoe wants to constantly get up on the furniture, which we don't want because we figured when we come from outside, she's going to jump up on the furniture after she comes back from a walk, all dirty.

Any advice?

Teach the "leave it" command. It will be in valuable to you. Start off with treats-when Zoe goes for the treat, startle her and say "leave it". Don't allow her to eat until she actually leaves it for a second. After a couple of times of doing this, call it quits. The next day you do it again, but wait a few minutes until you let her eat it. Then work up to objects. Toss a ball a short distance and tell her to leave it. She might not distinguish the ball as a leave it command, so be patient. You will eventually be able to tell her to "leave it" when she jumps on the couch. Be very very consistant until she is much older, never allow her on the couch, even just to cuddle. When she's older and able to understand more, you may be able to teach her that it's okay to get up on the couch, but only when you say. (If that made sense.) But for now, don't let her up there at all.

Until she learns leave it, gently push her off the couch. She should get frustrated after a couple trys and go off to find other things to do. Give her a treat when she's calm and not trying to get on the couch. Hope this helps!

Thanks!

What about spraying dogs with water from a water bottle? Is that effective?

Make sure they have their own furniture they CAN get on. Maybe if you're good they will share with you

Spraying animals with a water bottle only works with other corrections, so the water bottle part is not important. Animals just wonder why on earth you'd want them to get wet, the verbal correction is what makes them understand the behavior you want. Try the leave it and for a while you need to be in the room with her so you can say leave it or eh-eh while she's eyeing up the couch but hasn't jumped yet.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

The leave it command is a great command to teach for this & many other things too. It is pretty much only useful if your dog is getting close to the couch, once she jumps up on it I'd proabably use the "off" command.
    The off command is great for when they jump on you or other objects. A lot of people make the mistake of saying down, to the dog down means lay down, so they get mighty confused when you say down to get off of something.

I agree with Irescue as far as the water technique goes. Also some dogs may like to be squirted with water. And also if you do decide to try it you'd have to make sure that the dog does not know that the squirt is coming from you, otherwise she'll know that if your not around or you don't have the squirt bottle in hand she can get up there. That doesn't really teach the dog anything it just prevents things from happening.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Okay... I won't do the water bottle trick. lol

I checked out a book from the AKC on training your dog. Is that a pretty good book?

Matter of respect

I do not allow my dogs on the furniture. However, Scooby will get up there when I am not looking! At one time, I had four dogs and none of them dared got on the furniture except for the bed. I did make the mistake of allowing them to sleep with me. Which only did not work out because Scooby growled if I moved!
    My technique has been to be "Alpha" Dog. They know I am "boss". They get on the furniture I yelled distinctly "Down". I also when petting them did not allow them to come up beside me. They always had to stay on the floor when petted. I also tell my guests to NOT allow my dogs on the couch. That may be the hardest people to train! I've had to yell at my guests to get the dog off the couch!
    All of my dogs were adopted from the pound so they were NOT trained when I got them. I just always let them know that I am their master at all times. Believe me they remind me when a stranger approaches and they hide between my legs barking!!! Just let the dogs know their "pecking order" in the house and things should work out.
    That and try aluminum foil... it works for cats...
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

i found this awsome thing the other day icant remember where i think pet smart let me check but its a invisable pad that you stick whereever you dont want your cat/dog to go and it gives the a quick zap and eventualy they dont go on it anymore
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1129338242894
    yep pet smart its called a scat mat most expensive one is only 64 bucks there pritty cheap! hope it helps
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I have NO idea!! I've never tried!!! I'm usually trying to figure out how to get Duncan to cuddle on the couch with me and not get up when I go to get more popcorn!!

There are certain mats you can buy with raised "nubs" on them that are unpleasant feeling for both dogs AND cats, so they won't want to jump up. It seems a little more humane than zapping them. I'll look in my Drs. Foster & Smith catalog, I know they've had tons in there before when I looked through it. It's cheaper, too. Agg, I can't find it. But all it is, is a plastic mat with raised nubs on it that you place on your couch or anything you don't want your pets jumping on (counters, chairs, tables, etc).

facebook

Smile I wouldnt know..lol..

I allow SammyJ on the sofa..he never rolls in the dirt or such when we go for a walk, I jsut use a wipe and clean his paws and underneath and he's free to go where he wants..And so will Yoley when I bring her home..I have a cover on my Sofa that is washable, but only had to wash it when Samson was here except for regular cleaning..I love to snuggle with sammyj on the sofa and bed..

Constant repetition, whenever she goes to get of the furniture tell her off and make her get down. Like others said the Leave it command is very useful. Good luck, we let our dogs on the furniture and its fine until people come over and 5 dogs climb on their lap I wish we would have been more strict about it when they were younger...anyway good luck!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    A crate is useful in keeping her off furniture while you can't supervise her. Do you have a crate for her? I taught Finn a command for getting on the furniture, and, then, a command for getting off. He will occassionally get up on the couch uninvited, but, for the most part, he obeys the furniture rule.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

i let my dogs on the couch also. i think it depends on the size of the dog. i have a cocker pup and toy poodle mix.
    anyways, everytime zoe gets on the couch gently push her off and say "OFF". (or any other word you'd like to use) if she gets off and goes to do something else, praise her. you have to be consistant EVERY time. if you let her sleep on the couch only a couple times all the training you've done will just been ruined. make sure she has a bed. Good Luck!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*