Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book of the Month Club Members and "Rules"

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Book of the Month Club Members and "Rules"

Pet Talk Book of the Month Club

All right, everyone. The way we're going to choose the books is alphabetically by username. The way the names are listed in the original thread will be the way we choose the books. I'll continue to alphabetically add usernames until October 25th. That will be the day we'll aim for as far as choosing the November book, also. I figure we can aim for having seven days to find/buy/check out the next month's book.

After the 25th of October, people can still join, of course. But, I'll just put their name at the end of the alphabetical list. I hope that's an all right course of action for everyone involved. Then, I'll just add people as they join that way.

If you decide you don't want to participate for that particular month, that's all right. Just let me know, and, I'll remove your name from the list, and, if you decide to rejoin, you can be added, but, not alphabetically again. You'll get added to the end of the list, like a newcomer. Does that sound cool?

And, one more thing that's come to mind, if you don't want to be the one to choose the book (as Judy put it, OH, the pressure! ), just let me know, and, I'll put an asterisk (*) by your name. And, by the time it gets to your name, I'll ask again just to make sure you don't want to do it, and, if you don't, we'll just go to the next username.

If anyone can think of any other rules or anything, or has any questions, please don't hesitate to pm me. I think this is going to be the most fun!

And, just fyi, I asked Judy to choose the first book of the month, basically because of her enthusiasm and she was already tossing out authors before we could say "bob's your uncle." i hope no one is upset by that, and, from November on, we'll go strictly by username, and, past October 25th, we'll add new members on a first come first served basis.

And, by popular vote, we will break the book into chapters and discuss weekly. I will figure out the schedule of reading the chapters and discussing them when I get each new book and will post it in this thread (with a link as well, if it's posted in another thread). We will discuss particular chapters each week, though. I know for some, this isn't the preferred way, and, I hope that you're still able to participate and enjoy the club. Yeah, for a lot of us, we'll have to slow down! The last day to read will be seven days before the first of the next month. We're hoping that we can get the title for the next month's book by the middle of the month. If the person next on the list cannot or doesn't choose the book on time, their name will be removed alphabetically and placed at the end of the list, and either the next person on the list will choose it or I will choose the book. We must have the new one for the month chosen - at the very latest - by the last week of the month, though. You may, of course, tell me as early as six months in advance what book you want when it's your turn. As soon as I get the "go ahead" from the chooser, I will post the book for all to see, starting October 25th. By then, I'll be able to post by each username in the members list, which month they'll be responsible for choosing the book. Keep in mind, though, that due to the possibility of people backing out, that may change frequently.

Audio books/books on tape are permitted.

I'm learning as I go, and, I will stumble and fall flat on my face, it's the only thing I can guarantee. Oh, and, as long as we all keep it in mind that this is for F.U.N., the only other thing I can promise is that we will have a good time. We'll read books we wouldn't normally read, and, we'll talk with other Pet Talkers that we may not normally talk to. So, try to keep this positive, because that's what it's meant to be.

Members

Almita ♥
    binka_nugget
    CagneyDog*
    CamCamPup33
    caseysmom
    Cincy'sMom
    Corinna
    finn's mom
    gemini9961
    ILoveMyAbbyGirl
    Jadapit
    k9krazee*
    Karen
    kimboe
    lady_zana
    Logan
    lvpets2002
    mina'smomma
    NoahsMommy
    Nomilynn
    Oggyflute
    RobiLee
    shutterbug0303
    slleipnir*
    tatsxxx11
    MariaM
    .powerful
    Cubby'sMom

♥ has chosen a book
    * will not choose a book

October

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve (Judy aka shutterbug0303)

schedule

discussion

December

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares (Almita)

schedule
    Last edited by finn's mom; 11-28-2005 at 12:54 AM.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    And, just fyi, I asked Judy to choose the first book of the month, basically because of her enthusiasm and she was already tossing out authors before we could say "bob's your uncle." i hope no one is upset by that, and, from November on, we'll go strictly by username, and, past October 25th, we'll add new members on a first come first served basis.

"bob's your uncle" hehehehe
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug0303
    "bob's your uncle" hehehehe

You like that, huh?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Real names...

Hey, I'm sorry that I don't know everyone's real names, but, I'd like to! So, please either publicly or privately tell me your names, so, that I can put them beside your username on my list. I won't publicly put everyone's names, just in case anyone has an issue with that. But, I'd like to know them for my own sake. Thanks ahead of time!

My name is Kristina, just to let you know

Also, I am looking forward to this! This will get me into reading things I usually don't

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36
    My name is Kristina, just to let you know

Also, I am looking forward to this! This will get me into reading things I usually don't

Exactly, that's the whole idea! Expansion of the mind! I'm so excited!

bump

I bet you can't guess what my real name is!
    It's Zana! (hehehe!!! )
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Quote Originally Posted by lady_zana
    I bet you can't guess what my real name is!
    It's Zana! (hehehe!!! )
    Cool! I have updated my list.

So do we start talking about the book next week? Do we speak in vague terms??????
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    So do we start talking about the book next week? Do we speak in vague terms??????

The book will be open for discussion on the 25th. That's the deadline for finishing the book. If you want to have private discussions with a fellow Pet Talk reader who has also finished the book, that's fine!

Okay thanks...I think I missed that part from before.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Okay thanks...I think I missed that part from before.

Hey, not a problem. I'm so new to this, I've had to edit the structure a few times. It's the last paragraph in the first post on this thread. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I just want it to run as smoothly as possible. I'm glad you're participating! What's your real life name, anyway? I'm embarrassed that I don't know...

I think I would like to participate also. I love to read but just haven't made the time for it. Maybe this will be the boost I need. I'm not for sure how good I will be about participating in the discussions though. I've never done that before.

I'll check at the library tomorrow to see if the first book is in.

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee
    I think I would like to participate also. I love to read but just haven't made the time for it. Maybe this will be the boost I need. I'm not for sure how good I will be about participating in the discussions though. I've never done that before.

I'll check at the library tomorrow to see if the first book is in.
    You sound like me! This is why I even suggested the club, I need to get motivated! And, I've never participated in a club like this where you discuss stuff, either. I have no idea how vocal I'll be, or how intelligent my posts will be...but, at the very least, we can at least all say "yes, we liked it" or "no, we didn't."...