Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in heat?

in heat?

just to make sure..... my 14 month old toy poodle mix was sitting on my lap today. when she got off there was blood and a wet spot on my pants. (wet spot prolly cuz she was licking 'there') is she in heat??

p.s. we plan to get her spayed this fall.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

The age is right, and if there was blood probably.

Is her vulva swollen, if so, yes...She is deffinetly in heat.
    -Kim and the Serenity Cove Crew!

ok i am pretty sure she is. i wish we couldve got her spayed before her heat! but we plan to get her an appointment this or next week. my mom has to pay bills first.

i was also wondering, when she comes home after the surgerey. can i pick her up? or will she yelp because her stitches hurt? cuz i have to pick her up to do alot of things. (like put her in her kennel, or bring her outside to go potty) and how long is it before she starts to act like herself again?

last time we got a dog spayed, i was 5, so i dont remember any of this stuff.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

After being spayed or neutered we usually wait a couple of hours before we pick them up...and when we do, we make sure to be very carefull. It shouldn't be a problem if you are carefull but I would make sure to keep her from running around, or going up/down steps for the first 3-4 days. All of our dogs that have been spayed were back to "normal" within a couple of days, and since your dog is small it should be able the same.
    -Kim and the Serenity Cove Crew!

ok, she normally isn't allowed up stairs anyway. so i am glad it wont take long for her to act normal again. thanks soo much for the info!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20

p.s. we plan to get her spayed this fall.
    Please please please get your little dog spayed as soon as you can. One of my dogs, Gracie,(the only one not to have been spayed), is currently at the vets and she has been very ill , its still touch and go, and when it comes down to it its because we didnt have her spayed.

I had Ebony spayed last week. She spent the night at the vets. Having her spayed didn't slow her down one bit. It was amazing. Also, a lot of vets wont spay a dog until there heat cycle is finished. I guess their blood vessels are really big when they are in heat and they can lose a lot of blood. Thats what my vet told me anyway. My vet will not spay a dog until their heat is complety over.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Quote Originally Posted by sewmisskitty
    Please please please get your little dog spayed as soon as you can. One of my dogs, Gracie,(the only one not to have been spayed), is currently at the vets and she has been very ill , its still touch and go, and when it comes down to it its because we didnt have her spayed.
    I don't agree. Wait 1 month at least until the end of her heat. If a dog is spayed during her heat, she loses a lot a blood. That can be very dangerous for such a tiny pup.

I also agree, wait about a month then get her spayed. In the mean time do not let her outside alone or unsupervised.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

well we let her go potty outside alone because our yard is fenced in. we did call and made a spay appointment. we cancelled it because is 280 dollars!! i thought vets acctually WANTED ppl to get there dogs fixed. maybe thats why there are so many homeless pets. we called our humane society to see how much it is there and they dont do it! petsmart is over 300 dollars. i dont know what we are gonna do.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

well we let her go potty outside alone because our yard is fenced in. we did call and made a spay appointment. we cancelled it because is 280 dollars!! i thought vets acctually WANTED ppl to get there dogs fixed. maybe thats why there are so many homeless pets. we called our humane society to see how much it is there and they dont do it! petsmart is over 300 dollars. i dont know what we are gonna do.
    They do want the best for people and their animals, it's the anesthetic that costs so much. Call the local Humane Society, they usually don't charge a whole lot for a spay if you're really concerned about money issues. If she was my dog though, I'd just pay the $280. Every female dog of mine has been between $215 & $280 and I've always paid that much because it's benefiting them. But I do understand that some people just can't do that so like I said before, call the Humane Society Good luck with your girl!

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Exactly - call around, the Humane Society, any nearby shelters, they may have a vet program that does low-cost spay and neuter, or be able to work out a payment plan with you.

thank you for the suggestion, but in my last post it said we did call the humane society and they dont do it. my mom really didnt plan to have to pay that much for a spay. when we got missy spayed it only costed 80 dollars. (and we got it done at the same place that now 280 dollars) the reason its so expensive is because they do lazer now.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

thank you for the suggestion, but in my last post it said we did call the humane society and they dont do it. my mom really didnt plan to have to pay that much for a spay. when we got missy spayed it only costed 80 dollars. (and we got it done at the same place that now 280 dollars) the reason its so expensive is because they do lazer now.
    Sorry, I didn't see that part. Is there any other place you can think of that might do it cheaper? Maybe you could try asking your current vet?

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

lol, my current vet is the one who does it for 280 dollars. there is one more vet in town that i can ask my mom to ask. and maybe the st. cloud humane society. (half hour away)

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*