Thread: ACA registered?

ACA registered?

American Canine Association (aca), does anyone know anything about their registration process? Is it better or worse than AKC?

I looked on their site real quick but it wasn't too informational and I'm strapped for time so that didn't help any either.

My brother just called & he's looking at the paper & found some pugs that are ACA reg. & he wants one.

Does anyone have a aca reg. dog?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

ACA - American Canine Association is not recognized by AKC.
    I might be wrong but from what I understand,
    they are not recognized as a legitimate registry.

P.S. when you first said ACA, I thought your were talking
    about the Akita Club of American.

----<---<--<{(@

This faq has a little more info: http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-15626.html

ACA is not legitimate, imho... I believe they're one of the "registries" that accepts trendy mixes (like Shorkies) as "breeds". And they don't require pedigrees, which is a HUGE no-no.

My advice would be to call up your local Pug Breed Group and ask for phone numbers/email addresses of all of the recommended, reputable Pug breeders in NY. You'll probably be able to find a good breeder that screens their breeding dogs (I think the most important issues in Pugs are breathing problems, eyes, and elbow/hip dysplasia), and that either has a litter available soon or an adult Pug available. Maybe a good breeder could talk to your brother and let him visit their dogs so your brother can really get a feel for how much effort and time good breeders put into their dogs. Have you reminded him that they will have this dog for up to 15+ years from now, so it's a really bad idea to rush such a huge commitment?

Is money a big issue for them? A well-bred Pug will cost a lot, because of all the health tests needed for the parents and a high rate of C-sections. Then again, you need to remind them that a badly-bred BYB Pug will cost MUCH more in the long run, and their health issues will start piling up as they age.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    ACA is not legitimate, imho... I believe they're one of the "registries" that accepts trendy mixes (like Shorkies) as "breeds". And they don't require pedigrees, which is a HUGE no-no.

My advice would be to call up your local Pug Breed Group and ask for phone numbers/email addresses of all of the recommended, reputable Pug breeders in NY. You'll probably be able to find a good breeder that screens their breeding dogs (I think the most important issues in Pugs are breathing problems, eyes, and elbow/hip dysplasia), and that either has a litter available soon or an adult Pug available. Maybe a good breeder could talk to your brother and let him visit their dogs so your brother can really get a feel for how much effort and time good breeders put into their dogs. Have you reminded him that they will have this dog for up to 15+ years from now, so it's a really bad idea to rush such a huge commitment?

Is money a big issue for them? A well-bred Pug will cost a lot, because of all the health tests needed for the parents and a high rate of C-sections. Then again, you need to remind them that a badly-bred BYB Pug will cost MUCH more in the long run, and their health issues will start piling up as they age.

Thanks for the info. Now that I read more & heard more about ACA I hate them!

My brother is one of those semi-idiotic pet owners.
    He already knows the basics about dogs, he already has a dog, a mix that it is about 5 years (they had him since he was a puppy). Well he doesn't know ALL about them but knows enough to keep them alive & pretty healthy their whole lives.
    He's not the best dog owner but at least since he is stubborn (or whatever ) he is going to get one no matter what I or anyones else does or say so at least I can try my best to better the situation.

He takes his dog to the vet every year (more if needed like for anal glands etc...) but gets just the basics. His vaccines, flea meds (only if needed) and gets heartworm tested but no preventative. He doesn't feed really bad food but not the best either, I think he feeds maximum nutrition from walmart (or something similar). And at least the dog is in an inside dog and the like. He is well loved though.

And I have tried for a YEAR to tell them that since they don't treat their current dog with the best of care a pug is not the breed for them (just because they are known to have so many problems therefore causing more neccasary vet appointments, foods etc...) but they still incist that this is the dog for them & they will get one.

I guess they really don't want to spend over $350 but will spend up to $500 if they find a good enough "deal" & in terms of a healthy well bred pug that doesn't say much at all.

Hey I am doing all I can. One can only do so much.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    My brother is one of those semi-idiotic pet owners. .

well if he is then why are you helping him? lol. let it go. itll be another lunatic previously abused/neglected 9 month old puppy with no training whatsoever in the shelter, and he wont want another dog for atleast 1-2 years later (average).

Quote Originally Posted by LKPike
    well if he is then why are you helping him? lol. let it go. itll be another lunatic previously abused/neglected 9 month old puppy with no training whatsoever in the shelter, and he wont want another dog for atleast 1-2 years later (average).
    Well he's not THAT idiotic of an owner. he's better than some shelters or no home at all. He'll train the dog, keep the dog, care for the dog etc... He'll just complain a little here & there.

If I let it go then I know that another puppy mill or BYB is getting supported.

Sorry but I do everything I can to help when it comes to animals.

I totally respect what you're doing, lv4dogs... a LOT of people would let it go, but you obviously care enough about your brother and about not supporting BYB's to help him out. I honestly could not find a decent kennel around here that sells Pug puppies for less than $750. You might be able to find a retired show dog or a young adult that didn't succeed in the show ring from a good kennel for under $500, though. I would just call around like MAD! good luck

meh.. also, just an FYI, flat-faced breeds usually require tons more than the average dog in vet bills. You should let your brother know about that, too. My sister and BIL had to pay almost $1000 to laser their English Bulldog's throat (or pallet... or something like that) because it was interfering with his breathing, this happens OFTEN with flat-faced dogs. Also, the pup will need religious yearly kennel cough/bordatella boosters because flat-faced breeds can literally die from kennel cough... not to mention how many die every year from over-heating, so he'll probably need to be inside almost the entire day except for short trips outside and exercise in the morning and evening. I'm sure you've told him all of this, though! ... I really hope he makes the right decision, my BIL is totally stubborn too.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz