Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Carting

Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
    the harness is being attached to the harness...that's enough of a clue for me to think he is being asked to pull the cart

the dog certainly doesnt need to be attached to a cart to be trained to the feel of the harness....that is done by attaching something like a mlik jug for some rocks in it and then slowly working your way up to pulling a cart
    Well, I have to agree with Finnsmom on this one...and we will probably have to agree to disagree....but at the Swissie/ Bernese events I have been to...they often sell these carts, and the dog sometimes tries the harness/cart on before buying one to take home. I can tell you that the dog in that pic is a Swissie and if it was at a true Swissie event, it WOULD NOT be allowed to pull yet...they are adament on that rule...I believe 18 months is the youngest. I say it is just being fitted and getting a feel for it...that's all Swissie breeders are very responsible...protecting the breed and bettering the breed is all they are after...so I really can't see that this dog was being harmed. JMO.

not cruel at all if the dog wants to. Niño hated it so he never went it the harness again.

Niño & Eliza

I don't think it's cruel, my friend is teaching her Great Pyrenees how to pull a cart so her kids can ride them in fairs(she knows what she's doing so they won't be hurt). I taught my RB German Shepherd, Hannah, to pull a wagon because we have a wood burner and I had to go in the woods to collect wood and trust me it was not fun! It was so much easier having Hannah pull the cart and she loved it! I would know if she didn't because I tried it on Maggie and she hated it so I didn't do it to her again.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

i dont think its cruel.Most dogs that i've seen doing it seem to really enjoy it!
    agreed with finns mom!

I think it's ok if it's done right.

However i do think that in some of the pictures the dog looks like he's pulling too much.

I can't see having a dog pull if there all the way down on the floor to be able to pull it. that i think is alittle much \

But i'm no expert on the subject. It''s just my opion.

this discussion seems familar like every time I remind people its getting close to the Iditarod. Some folks don't get that a working dog isn't happy until he's doing his job.

My Aunt used to do carting with her Rottie, she had a little cart and her dog (Tugger) would pull things, nothing heavy but he really loved it! I tried doing it with Shadow when she was much younger and she absolutely hated it!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I've been to Horse Pulls but never a Dog Pull. Sounds fun!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Now lets see, what's more unfair....giving a "job" to a working dog bred for pulling, or keeping it couped up all day bored out of it's mind and possibly being destructive out of boredom? Hmmm.....

As Glacier has pointed out, you can't MAKE a dog pull that doesn't want to. And some of those pictures show pulling contests. Most owners are VERY concerned about the health of their dogs and watch constantly for signs of stress. They don't want their dogs getting hurt. These are fun events with people that are crazy about their beloved pets.
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 09-30-2005 at 04:14 PM.

i agree that its far from cruel, there are standards and guidelines to follow so no one is hurt.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

It is not cruel

As some people said, most people said, and I agree, it is absouluty FUN for the dogs. Many dogs ENJOY IT VERY MUCH. There are rules to it, where it is probubly one of the rules the dogs have to be a sertain size or breed, and age.