View Poll Results: Lab or Flat Coated Retriever?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Labrador

6 50.00%
  • Flat Coated Retriever

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about These Breeds:

Does anyone know anything about These Breeds:

I am looking into getting a

Labrador Retriever

OR

Flat Coat Retriever

Can people give me info on these 2 breeds?
    Save The Seals
    The Massive Canadian Seal Hunt is going on!!
    www.protectseals.org

I thought you where getting another kind of breed in your {what breed next post } Did you change your mind ?

Originally posted by Den Anne Pen
    I thought you where getting another kind of breed in your {what breed next post } Did you change your mind ?
    If I were you I'd go back & re-read her "what breed next" post.
    She is in the process of finding out what dog suits her the best.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I would suggest a lab. They are great dogs, I've never had one, but i know lots about them...
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I was researching the 2 breeds more & come to find out the flat coat is not as loyal to one person as I thought. (thats why we research lol). They are a very friendly dog in general, loves everyone. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that if you choose this breed that your dog won't be loyal & it still may be a breed for you.
    They are very smart, therefore can be taught to do the things you want to do with him (her), like any breed you need to do major obedience work for the dog to be with you off leash but it can happen.
    I am sure that if you treat the dog with respect & do lots of training the dog will be loyal to you.

But after researching I found out that the flat coat may be more loyal to one person than a lab would be.

But again after researching about the breeds & about training that just because it is in the breed to be friendly to everyone doesn't mean that it will be that way with all dogs. Each dog is different.

I'd speak with reputable breeders to see what their dogs lines are like. How do most of their dogs act? Also make sure that they test all their dogs for genetic problems (hips, eyes, elbows, epilepsy, etc....).
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the flat-coat overall is less apt to be overly hyper than a lab would be. I think they are both very similar otherwise in temperment. I think with the flat coat you would probably find better dogs overall since they aren't so overbred, but either way you'd have to look into a quality breeder to get a solid, healthy dog.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Originally posted by IRescue452
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the flat-coat overall is less apt to be overly hyper than a lab would be. I think they are both very similar otherwise in temperment. I think with the flat coat you would probably find better dogs overall since they aren't so overbred, but either way you'd have to look into a quality breeder to get a solid, healthy dog.
    I think you are right!

I don't know if you said this just to point it out or if it was in reference to my post? If it was the later I didn't mention anything about hyperness, I was mentioning loyalty. If you read her other posts, you'd understand why.
    The hyperness of a lab I don't think would be a problem at all for her.

I was just adding some info on the breed. I really don't think hyperness will be a problem for her either. Thats more of a problem for people who can't handle a leash and arm being ripped off at the sight of a tennis ball or for somebody with kids or frequent guests that can't be jumped on. Likewise with the breeding problems, some can handle what byb's dish out and some would rather have a dog who's breeding will offer better prediction on health problems. Both breeds and breeders much be researched carefully but one is likely to find this information holds well. I figured since this is a breed part of the forum that others might look at when learning about breeds I'd add the info.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I like the idea of LABS One of my uncle's has one. And my friend Katherine (Kate) has 2 Choc. Labs, Kiki and Bekon.

PLUS there are many people with one in my neighborhood. At least 20
    Save The Seals
    The Massive Canadian Seal Hunt is going on!!
    www.protectseals.org

its true. more labs are overly hyper than flat coats. but that does not mean all of them are. they are very similar in temperment, so if you would like a dog that needs less grooming get a lab. or vice versa

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

ok guys here is the deal, flat coated retrievers are stubborn and hard to train there nothing like a lab! lab are easy to please. trust me i know i have a flat coat that where my name come in don't get one untill you know alot about the breed, and plus there rare and really expensive.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

y do you like them so much if they r hard to train?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

because thats my dogs breed and their beutiful.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Originally posted by dab_20
    y do you like them so much if they r hard to train?
    A lot of awesome dogs are hard to train. But they're worth it!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

i know. and flatcoatluver, i think they are a gorgous breed too. they are too cute, and i am sure they are very loyal.
    i wish my mom and dad would let me get a big breed. but noo!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*