Thread: Help! My gerbil wont stop SCRATCHING

Help! My gerbil wont stop SCRATCHING

My gerbil wont stop scratching. She goes in her tube and all she does is scratch the sides of the tubes. She does this several times a day and it drives me NUTS! she also chews alot too. I was thinking she might be lonley, but I cant get another gerbil

Well, I guess I will be the fist to reply to this post too! lol
    Anywho, there's nothing to worry about this time either.
    Gerbils are just very curious, so they like to dig and scratch alot.
    And for the chewing promblem, there's nothing wrong...gerbils just chew on things to keep their teeth chewed down.(to keep them from getting to long)
    I hope this helps too!

P.S.- I don't think your gerbil is lonely, my gerbil is also alone but loves it!
    Oreo's scratching and chewing drives me nuts too!!!!!!!!!

Thanx that helps. I really thought she could be lonley. She is really hyper-active sometimes and she goes running like crazy all around the cage. Right now I have corncob bedding, but next time I am going to get pine cuz she cant really dig in corn cob, so maybe that is why she is scratching all in her tubes. I also brought her over to my friends house (her gerbil is my gerbils mother) and we let them play with eachother and my gerbil didnt seem to be that happy to be with her mom LOL her mom also attacked her when we put them in her cage! So we decided never to put them together again.

For the chewing problem go to your local pet store and they should have little blocks of wood for them to chew for about $4.99. Anyway you can buy flavoured or non-flavoured but I don't think it really matters. Anyway I have never owned a gerbil but I used to have a hamster and right now I have two rats and they all loved to chew. I would try the wood blocks if I were you.
    Good Luck!!!
    I love Irish Wolfhounds!

I have already bought those little blocks from the pet store. The only thing is they are too soft and my gerbil can chew one in like 5 minutes I give her lots of other things to chew too, so she wont start chewing her cage (cuz its plastic)

[so she wont start chewing her cage (cuz its plastic) [/B]
    Oreo is on a roll...this is her second cage and fixing to be her third!!!!!!! She chewed up her first, and I just bought her second...it's already chewed up!!!!!!!!

WOW
    I give lotz of thingz she can chew to my gerbil so she wont start chewing her cage.....Although she has already chewed up most of those rings that are inside the tubes that help them get around the tubes...Someday I think i am going to find a hole in her tubes cuz she scratches and chews them 1,000 times a day