Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It turned out to be more then just a Hunting trip yesterday.

It turned out to be more then just a Hunting trip yesterday.

We arrived in QU about 10am (we left at 5am.).

First Gord (the farmer guy we met last thur at a business meeting) took us un a tour or his farm. We saw his chickens, rabbits, hens, ducks & new born Lambs!

Gord was gonna take us on a small tour of the sheep field, when he saw a mother sheep with a foot sticking out of its backend.

He said finally, I've been looking for this one all morning, my daughtor saw her yesterday.

The sheep was laying down & he asked us to give him a hand. Rob held her down (she never struggled anyways) & I patted her face. Gord touched the leg & said yep. its dead.

Gord said the other front leg was in the wrong place, so he was trying to pull it straight & the whole leg ripped off

It was soo gross, it was rotten too. Gord thinks the lamb died days ago fo rhte leg to come off like that.

Gord was not a happy farmer, he said the lambs eye sockets r huge, so he had to gently stretch the poor sheep down there.

He ended up trying to crush the skull with his hands cause the poor sheep couldn't stretch anymore.

We gave her a break & then tried again. 30 mins later or more he finally got the lamb out. Its head was not normal at all, no wonder she couldn't pass it.

So gord took the dead lamb & asked us to keep an eye on her & make sure she didn't get up. Poor thing didn't even try to.

Gord gave her an antibotic shot & tried to get her to stand. She wouldn't even try to stand. so he carried her & prop her up on the side of the barn in the shade to recover. He said it usually takes 30 mins or so after dropping a lamb to be running about again.

Gord took us on a tour of his farm land.. lets just saw WOW!!!

On our way back the sheep still hadn't moved. Poor thing. Nothing can be done but hope she gets up.

Gord then took us on a tour of the area. We went to a flea market & then stopped at a local pub for a late lunch. As we were eating, guess who stopped by?? The hells Angels
    We went back to his farm & got ready to hunt the problem Coyote. Hes known to show up between 4-6pm. However the stupid thing never showed up!!

We sat in sheep poo, pointy rocks & I was attacked by an evil plant that killed some skin on my hand & arm; for 2 1/2 hours.

We gave up & went to have dinner. We were having some of the farms lamb mmmmm.

On our way back to the house we decided to check on the sheep. She was now on her side with her eyes closed. Rob gently pushed her with his foot & she was really hard. We looked at her back end & it was HUGE & there was lots of blood.

Were guessing she had internal bleeding & a really bad infection that caused her to bleed out & die. Poor girl. She tried her darnest to fight too.

Then we were ready to take off & the wife said, what? ur not staying at the Champlain?? We said we should go tonight cause we have to be at another farm by 10am.

She said well, if u guys leave at 5am again, u can be at the other farm for 10am & stay at the Champlain.

So we agreed to stay & Gord took us to the Champlain.

We had NO idea what or where this Champlain was. We pulled up to this nice house & he took us in.. Lets just say we were in HEAVEN!!!!

The place was a dream! It was huge, lovely & comfy. It had a washer & dryer, shower, towels, sattlight TV, & a top of the line Queen bed!!!

Rob & I enjoyed our stay in the lovely place & let at 5:10am.

For someone we only met on thur. have become good friends. They were awesome people & sooooo friendly. They want us back sometime next year or any OFF season (they rent the house out during the winter for skiers) & stay in the CHamplain for free!! We can bring friends or just us. If we fly in they will pick us up at the airport & then all the fun will begin again!!!

So ya, we had a WONDERFUL time

How bizarre. The is the grossest & most incomprhensible
    posting I've ever seen.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think it was just a slice of farm life . I remember days like that. so much life (lambs ) andthe heart ache of the truth not all animals are are not to stay here on this earth for long. Lifes little realitys are hard some time.
    I want to know if the coyotes were killing the lambs or other stock. is that why the hunt?

Corinna,

She left on a tour & lunch break while an animal lay in distress?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by lizbud
    posting I've ever seen.
    Ditto. I felt the same way.

One thing....

CITY FOLK!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Corinna,

She left on a tour & lunch break while an animal lay in distress?

Nothing more could be done to help her any further. it was all up to her. She was given a few shots to aid, u play the waiting game & hope she'll pull through.

Re: One thing....

Originally posted by Scooby4
    CITY FOLK!!!
    Tell me about it. It doesn't make sence until u work or live on a farm. I grew up around farms & know how things work, esp the more natural farms, like Gord's. All the sheep r wild animals & being near them stresses the life right out of them. U gotta be quick like a bunny to give little aid & hope for the best. & if a bad animal like that sheep survived, it would mean more problem births in the heard. Its the strongest of the fittest. Thats what makes a healthy animal.

EDIT: also all lambs & sheep that pass away become dog food & the wool is removed. The farm dogs r wild aswell. Gord cannot catch them & they may bite if caught. As far as the dogs know, they r the alpha & beta sheep in the heard & find their own meals (alot of food is just left around the fields, raw meats). But there r no bowls & no interactions with the dogs. Gord has learned the hard way if u make the dog a pet, it wont work & they start to kill sheep. He had to shoot 7 dogs several years ago. He had no idea what happened once the dogs became friendly.
    Last edited by king2005; 09-12-2005 at 07:30 PM.

Originally posted by Corinna
    I think it was just a slice of farm life . I remember days like that. so much life (lambs ) andthe heart ache of the truth not all animals are are not to stay here on this earth for long. Lifes little realitys are hard some time.
    I want to know if the coyotes were killing the lambs or other stock. is that why the hunt?
    Yes. There hasn't been coyote problems in years. But this was a yound bold bugger. The wife would run out of the house yelling & hitting the deck with a broom. The kids have even tried to chase him away. They can make it to the 3rd feild & just enter the forth before he trots back into the forest.

Since the coyote was in the hardest field for the dogs to get to, the newborn lambs were an easy target. & since sheep aren't the smartest things around, they kept going to the top of that field to drop lambs & the coyote knew the dogs took too long to run to that field, he had feast after feast after feast after feast of newborns...

The farmer has his own guns, but he had them locked up, like the law states to & he lost the key. He's been trying hard to find the key & no luck. thats why we went out to the farm to aid the farmer.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    posting I've ever seen.
    Add me to the list of those who can't make much sense out of this thread. I think I could have done without the graphic details of lambing on the farm...yup another city folk, and proud of it.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

We gave up & went to have dinner. We were having some of the farms lamb mmmmm

You still had an appetite after that???

She left on a tour & lunch break while an animal lay in distress
    What Lizbud said is what I don't understand. Why didn't this farmer have a veterinarian on hand??? I know farming seems very difficult and different to us city folks, but to leave a poor defenseless sheep bleeding to death while they go out for lunch is despicable. She should've been euthanized and put out of her misery.

I am also confused as to the reason for this post and WAAAAAAAAY TMI in it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by CagneyDog
    Your shooting an innocent animal because he is doing what his instict tells him what to do. Disgusting.
    Do u kill spiders, flies, mice, other pests that may go into ur home?

99% of the population does. There is no difference between a coyote & a bug. Both do what they naturally do & if it interfears with our daily lives, or comes into our homes, we kill them.

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
    Add me to the list of those who can't make much sense out of this thread. I think I could have done without the graphic details of lambing on the farm...yup another city folk, and proud of it.

Why is it ok to show pictures of bloody, dead, chewed up Pit Bulls, but not just a discription of a witnessed birth gone wrong ?

Originally posted by moosmom

You still had an appetite after that???

What Lizbud said is what I don't understand. Why didn't this farmer have a veterinarian on hand??? I know farming seems very difficult and different to us city folks, but to leave a poor defenseless sheep bleeding to death while they go out for lunch is despicable. She should've been euthanized and put out of her misery.

I am also confused as to the reason for this post and WAAAAAAAAY TMI in it.

I sat outside for 2 1/2 hours in a field stairing 500-1000 yards away. Yes I was hungry after that.

There r no sheep veterinarian's around there. its in the middle of nowhere. The farmer is the vet, thas how family farms work.

We had no idea she was bleeding internally. She wasn't bleeding when we checked on her throughout the day. & the last time we checked on her, there was blood on the ground & she was dead.

You don't euthanize (neds) an animal that u don't think is gonna die & that u can use for food & other things, its also a natural farm, meaning no to little interfearing with the stock, it produces healthier & better animals.

The farmer said it'll take hours for her to recover from her ordeal. SHe was lifting her head & looking around, she just wouldn't get up yet, but she had 24hrs to get up so there was no worry. She was the first sheep to die on that farm from giving birth.

The point of this thread was sharing my day & things not everyone gets to see, including the farmers.
    Last edited by king2005; 09-13-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Originally posted by CagneyDog
    Your shooting an innocent animal because he is doing what his instict tells him what to do. Disgusting.
    You are passing judjement on someone who is trying to protect their livelihood. Disgusting.

And to add to my comment, coyotes are one of my favorite animals ever...yet, when there was one going around my old neighborhood killing pet cats, I was not sorry when it was killed.

Thank you Wolf_Q!