Thread: From the Houston SPCA - Katrina

From the Houston SPCA - Katrina

Since Sunday, the Houston SPCA has received more than 600 animal victims of Hurricane Katrina. On Sunday morning, we opened our doors to 263 canines and felines from the Louisiana SPCA. On Thursday, we accepted almost 400 animals from refugees at the Houston Astrodome and Reliant Arena. And, we anticipate hundreds more in the coming days and weeks.

We will continue to make space for the animals of our neighbors to the East. The Houston SPCA is offering free temporary board, shelter, and care to the pets of people streaming out of those states hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. To make room for the anticipated flood of refugees, we are working with our dedicated adoption partners throughout the area, state, and United States to place our adoptable animals in other shelters. All owned animals will remain with the Housotn SPCA to offer a central place for their famialies to reclaim them.

People needing pet-related information are urged to call the Houston SPCA Hotline at 713-802-0555 from 9 am - 5 pm daily. Volunteers are standing by to take calls and assist pet owners.
    The Houston SPCA will also provide free pet food to anyone needing assistance. Pet owners can come by the shelter at 900 Portway Drive, Houston, TX 77024. Pet owners must show photo identification.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A friend and I are going down there tomorrow with supplies to donate and we're going to see if they need anymore volunteers, with it being a holiday and all. They were doing okay volunteer wise on Saturday, when my friend called them about it. I'll report back tomorrow with news of what I see.

Par....

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Will keep you in my prayers, Par. Bless you for going and volunteering.

Thats' the First Good news I've heard for these poor animals...Please Thank Yours and the other shelters...and of course Thank You for helping!!
    Please keep us posted!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Thanks so much for helping!! God Bless You!!

Terry

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thank you for doing this. I wish you the very best Par.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Way to go, Par!

Bless you Par!! And Bless the Houston SPCA!!!! I only wish that other shelters in other areas would follow suit!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It's great to know that there are still so many good people in the world...
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

Hey guys,

We went out to the shelter with supplies today. You've never seen so many people and donations. There's a major outpouring of love and concern for the animals, so not to worry everybody.

We asked about lending a hand right then, but they said we needed to fill out the online application and go through a Saturday orientation. They did say they needed fosters, so I'm gonna fill out the application and see if I get accepted to be a foster.

Amazing how they're taking people on the spot to volunteer for the folks evacuated to the Dome, Reliant Centers and George R. Brown convention center. Apparently you need more skill to work with pets then people.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Thanks Par for being there and for filling us in. I watch the news and see dogs on rooftops and feel sick.

Yes, the stories are heartbreaking. I can't imagine having to leave my furbabies behind. I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't take them with me. Good to hear that they are getting lots of volunteers to help out. Keep us posted...

I have been waiting to read something encouraging like this! Thank you for posting it and thank you for all that you are willing to do! I saw a woman today who refused to leave her home because they wouldn't allow her to take her dog. I just don't understand that. If dogs are not allowed into the shelters with humans, why not take them to animal shelters. I guess it all seems so easy to those of us sitting here at home on the outside looking in.

Bless you Par and please keep us updated!