Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on best second dog as companion for my first

Exclamation Deciding on best second dog as companion for my first

Hi All,

This is Ilene (the dog owner from a previous thread about getting a second dog). Well, we decided to get a second dog and are very excited!

We took Smudge (4yr old male flat coated retriever/lab mutt) to the local rescue league shelter, where we met a dog that is a bit smaller (Smudge is 60lbs, this dog was about 1/2-2/3 his size) and 8-10 months old. This dog, "Jet" (another male), was very puppy-like, sweet, a bit hyper (as a puppy) and VERY friendly. All he wanted to do was play with Smudge, wag his entire body at us and be petted, and followed Smudge around the shelter's doggie play area!

My husband and I fell in love with him, but here's the thing -- Smudge (an easy-going, slightly shy dog) let Jet follow him, jump and try to play w/him, but Smudge seemed to be saying "OK I'll tolerate you but I really don't want to play". Smudge was a bit overwhealmed with the whole visiting-a-new-dog thing which could have been part of it.

Now, Smudge does play with very playful BIG dogs (we can't have another large dog) but with the smaller dogs, he tends to tolerate them, at least in a neutral ground in the field.

We'd like to adopt Jet, but are not sure which of the following will happen: (1) Jet brings Smudge out of his shell a bit and Smudge learns to love him and play w/him, OR (2) Smudge is annoyed because this jumpy puppy keeps bugging him to play, OR (worst) (3) Smudge gets agitated and goes more into his shell because this other dog just won't leave him with peace and quiet.

Ultimately, this other dog is to provide companionship for Smudge, who seems to enjoy the company of other dogs but it's difficult to tell how he'd like Jet, since they seemed to get along fine but not perfectly (which is about how he is with smaller dogs).

So, should we skip Jet and wait for a slightly older less puppy-like dog, or bring Jet to the family and know he'll outgrow the puppy phase and Smudge will grow to love his companion?

Sorry for the long post.... we love Smudge and fell in love with Jet, but want to do the best for our Smudgie!

We put in an application to adopt Jet, so I want to make a decision soon so that we can take him home next weekend or leave her for another family.

Thanks SO MUCh for any guidance
    Last edited by ifl; 08-28-2005 at 07:19 AM.

I think Smuge will be very happy with him at first he might have to get used to the the puppy behavior but in the long run i think he will be happy.

Who would'nt like to have a friend there when your mom+dad go out.

good luck

Is Jet (new dog) a male or female pup? I believe a lot of times
    a male/female mix generally works out better, than male/male.
    Not always, but generaly speaking. I had a almost 3yr old male dog
    & adopted a 4 mo old female pup who has a quite different
    personality than the older dog. They get along great. It has
    actually brought out the puppy in the older, shyer dog. I wish
    you the best of luck.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks. Actually, they're both male dogs (I've heard the male/female thing as well).

When we went to look at Jet one more time, Smudge seemed to be more willing to play so they had more fun.

Of course, just as we were about to leave, we saw a really sweet snuggle-bunny of a girl dog (who we couldn't really interact with as she just got neutered and was sore from surgery).

So, the decision will be between (1) a snuggly female who is a bit quiet (and more like Smudge's temperament and (2) a frisky make pup who is a typical crazy pup (and looks exactly like our dog - funny). I am a sucker for the snugglebunny pup but perhaps Smudge might actually prefer the hyper pup because Jet will bring out the puppy in Smudge whereas the other dog may just be the same quiet shy dog as Smudge. Not sure what to do.

Will have to see Smudge and the other pup interact next weekend. I'm coming home with one of them....

Hi Ifl,

First of all, I wish you good luck finding the right dog! I agree that probably either dog will work out, although I think that male/female dogs do tend to get along better than male/male or female/female. It has something to do with pack hierarchy. However, when you bring your new dog home, be prepared for some difference in your dog Smudge. When I decided to get a second dog I was unprepared for my first dog's reaction- she was just telling the new dog (who was a puppy) that she was "boss." For about a week, she would keep toys away from the new puppy and growl at her if she tried to touch any of her things. After she felt that the new dog got the message about who was dominant, they became best friends, and of course they are still friends today. Smudge may seem a little "mean" at first too, because he probably won't understand why there is a strange dog in his house. I'm sure you'll find the right dog.

Pembroke_Corgi

PS- I read your previous post about wanting to get another dog and you asked if it will ruin his good behavior- probably not, but I find that when my dogs are alone together unsupervised they tend to get into more trouble than either of them have ever managed alone...

Well, I do not know which one I would choose. That is such a hard decision! I think that I am leaning more towards the female, just because of the male/male vs. male/female. Honestly, I am sure that Smudge would be good either way! I wish you and your hubby luck with choosing!

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

I honestly kept going to the male/female rather than female/female thing when I was looking for a Mika companion last week, but blew that whole idea out of the water and ended up coming home with this little shepherd mix, she's a bit smaller than Mika (40 lbs but VERY thin to Mika's 55 lbs). Mika NEEDS and LOVES being the alpha dog, basically their play is mostly Mika over Chloe's neck (alpha) and Chloe is the PERFECT submissive dog. I haven't even had one moment of angst with the two of them, they even share the food bowl. The cats are even fine with her.

Mika has a very strong play/attention drive, and since I've had Chloe she take it out on her more than us. They all sleep better, so do we! Chloe is only 2 years old (to Mika's 4.5) but Chloe is the calmer dog when it comes down to it. She's the perfect foil for Mika.

Good luck. I honestly didnt' think I'd come home with a dog like Chloe, but it's great! I don't know how you choose, but based on this experience, I don't hold much stock in the male/female being the only way to go.

I think it really does'nt matter if the other dog you are getting is a puppy they learn as they grow.
    I have Cheyanne 4yrs and i thought the only way to go was a male i got Aspen and then came along Phoenix i thought i might have a problem with the 2 males but they LOVE eachother there always together and Cheyanne jumps in when she feels like it .

good luck i know there all so cute+ cuddly you just want to take all of them home

I'm not sure how much I agree with the male/female belief. I have 4 dogs, 2 males, 2 females, and it's only my 2 females that will sometimes have issues. Personally I think it's very dependent on each dogs personality. I'd just have your dog meet both, and see which one you and he likes best.

Thanks to everyone! We decided to get the peppy boy pup because he and Smudge seemed to enjoy each other and will hopefully grow into each other.

As far as the male-male thing, neither dog seems dominant so I'm not too worried.

I'm picking him up Saturday and I'm so excited and also nervous. Let the adventure begin!

Oh congrats! I'm so happy for you. Wish you the best of luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Enjoy! My two are so happy together I can't believe it. Now, if I can only get the new child to not try and be an escape artist, it would be fantastic. She escaped again last night when hubby opened the front door and we spent 45 minutes driving and running around the neighborhood. Eventually she collapsed in exhaustion on a lawn and we grabbed her. She's still scared and has lived on the streets, so running is all she knows.

Going to get going with the Bach Rescue Remedy and the Vervain today. It worked for Mika!

Congratulations! I can't wait to here more about his arrival!-Are pics included?

I hope that you have a great time with your new puppy, and if you have any questions, come to us!!!!!

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

I brought home Pesto (8 mo old spaniel/lab/retriever mix) to meet Smudge. They played well on the deck, then when in the house, Smudge got a bit agressive (he's usually pretty docile) and was definitely threatened.

After 2 days, Smudge is just about top dog. However, Pesto has more energy and usually I have to separate them because Smudge gets fed up and Pesto shows his teeth.

Now they sometimes play, sometimes fight. I'm trying to teach Pesto that when Smudge goes to his bed, Pesto is not allowed to go near him (so Smudge has a safe place).

So they'll work it out I'm sure.

BUT, I have one issue: Poor Smudge is losing all his toys! Even his favorite squeaky shoe. It makes me so sad. I tried bringing a new toy into the house and even that didn't work. They've been fighting over the toys. Then, I find Pesto laying with ALL of the toys and Smudge with none.

Any ideas? Should I train Pesto to stay away from a couple of Smudge's toys or let them duke it out? It's just so sad because Smudge may end up with nothing

THanks for all the help and support!

Here's a picture. It's not a great one but it's good. This is Pesto the new one. Smudge is my avatar (you can see they look alike)

I got Aspen 1 mth ago and Phoenix 2+half weeks ago and they did the same thing with the toys they still can't have 2 touys they always end up sharing one at the same time there usally pretty good then they end up getting mad and i have to take the toy away after a little while i think once Smudge lays down the rules they'll work it out Cheyanne the little queen is the one that lays down the rules here and they know not to mess with her when she has a toy Just give it alittle more time and it should work it self out