Petland boycott by your group. Poor Blackie may be too
    emotionaly scarred to ever adjust completely with anyone
    but his foster mom. But she did say he had a home with her
    no matter what, didn't she? It's a miracle he can trust any
    human being at all after what he's lived through. Bless his
    heart. There should be no handcuffs needed, if nobody loses
    their cool, and sticks to the program.( It's hard not to be
    emotional about these issues), but like Puppymill Fighters
    says "Be kind, you too were ignorant once".

Zippy,

Check out http://puppymillfighters.com it's one site with
    a lot of info about Petland in particular, but there are other
    Pet Stores that sell puppymill dogs. Liz.

Thanks guys--goin' to check out the links now.

I can not believe these (Petland) creeps actually colaborate with the puppymill owners!

Just to clarify , I (unfortunately) do know the horrors of puppymills. I understand, supporate, and congratulate those who work hard to stop the pain, suffering, and abuse of pet store critters, but the question that weighs heavily on my mind...

Who saves the Pet Store Puppies, Kitties, Bunnies?

The root of the problem lies in greed (more bang for the buck--more pups per litter) and a general lack of concern for the animals' wellbeing (no spay/neuter operation, no shots, no LOVE). There seems to be alot of attention at the beginning (puppymill) and the end (shelter) of the cycle....but at what point do we focus on the pets who are presently *IN* the pet store? (Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing but applause and well wishes for rescue/shelter pets placed in good homes.)

I'll readily admit that Sophie came from a pet store and by doin' so, I'll also admit to being part of the problem. I knew the "pet store" game of buying from bad breeders (*though at the time, I did not know that they bought bunnies WAY BEFORE 6wks of age). However, Sophie was soo tiny and soo sick that I just could not leave her there. (eek! here come the tears...) I know I was/am a part of the problem by purchasing her from a pet store. I can't explain the spark that happened between us, but I knew I couldn't leave her there to die or become snake food.

...I apologize...I can't finish this post right now... gotta go get tissues 'n dry my eyes

I'll also admit to being part of the problem
    I actually don't think you are part of the problem. You saved her. If you didn't buy her she would not be here with us. I don't think many people would have bothered with her if she was sick. It's another form of rescue.

Over here cats and dogs are usually in a store only if someone ordered them. You can get cats and dogs from shelters but if you want other pets, like ferrets rabbits and birds you can only get from a pet store.

Every time I pass in front of a petstore and I see rabbits birds and other small animals I just ask myself "What happens if noone buys them?" It's so upsetting I've never had the courage to go in and ask.

Yes, the whole cycle really stinks when it comes to dogs and cats in Pet stores. It's really a no-win situation. The poor animals are in there because of the greed of puppymills relying on the cuteness factor of the animals to sell them. Most of the time they are under 8wks of age and unhealthy.
    The sad thing is that if nobody buys the animals, most will be sent to laboritories for experimentation!

Exactly WL!! And the cycles continues. Businesses like Petland count on all of us animal lovers out there, our big hearts, to keep the vicious cycle going. Seeing a sick, homeless puppy in a cramped cage, one that we fear will be euthanized, makes all of us want to "rescue" them. And as soon as that puppy is purchased, they replace it with another I believe that legislation, banning the breeding of ALL dogs in puppymills, is the only way to stop this once and for all. The AKC does have a LOT to do with this as they issue AKC Pedigree papers to these puppymill owners and their puppies! I constantly email/write my legislators, and those in states where puppymills flourish, imploring them to support legislation to shut them down. Sudilar has a great thread running with an email "chain" to muster support from notables and celebrities. I'll find and post the link to the thread soon.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by tatsxxx11
    I'll find and post the link to the thread soon.
    That would be great! Yes, I agree...the whole puppymill industry needs to be shut down! I don't think the USDA should even be regulating...let alone allowing such a thing to go on. It would be so much better if petstores got in league with rescue orginazations, so we could adopt out all the homeless animals instead of letting puppymills take over the show. I would think that if ALL petstores worldwide did this...what would be the purpose of puppymills?? Stores wouldn't 'SELL' dogs and cats, but would 'ADOPT' rescued animals into homes. Let's help stamp out those puppymills and puppy brokers!!!