Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should it be this HARD to make friends?!?!

Should it be this HARD to make friends?!?!

I started work two and a half weeks ago and have yet to make a friend. Everyone is really nice, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth here trying to get to know these people. They'll go out to lunch and not invite me so on Monday I asked about lunch. I went with two guys from work and they didn't ask me the rest of the week. I don't know what to do...I've never struggled this much to meet people. My last lab was so nice I loved it the first day.

I NEED HELP MAKING FRIENDS.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure it'll get better. How about you asking another co-worker if they'd like to go to lunch with you. Then maybe you'll be able to get to know them better. At my work there are many people that have to go to lunch with someone. I've always prefered to just go by myself. Good luck.

Be patient, and freindly, and people will come around. They may still be getting used to having you there, or maybe they liked the person who had the job before you and are missing that person through no fault of your own, or theirs. I know over the last two years in my office, we had - let's see, 8 or 9 people in and out for one positon. And after a while, we sort of all stopped trying to make friends with new folks, as we ever knew if they'd last 2 1/2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months or what! Thankfully the person who is there now appears to want to stay.

*Hugs* sorry you are having a rough time! I hate starting a new job. Hopefully things will get better with a little time. Maybe the people you work with are shy? Good luck!

I hope things start looking up really soon. Dont let it bother you though, it should come in time. {{{hugs}}}
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

I hope things work out for you. You seem like a really nice person so just keep being and nice. Those people maybe shy to new people. You will find your place soon.

Boy do I know what you mean! Its hard to start a new job and try to get to know everyone. You just moved to a new area, right? Maybe things are different here. When I lived in my old town (a whole 60 miles away) people were VERY different than here. It was extremely hard to make friends. People are much more stand-offish, and if you aren't from here, they treat you like a transplant. My neighbor was the first friend I made here.... where is she from? She grew up down the street from my sister in law... so she herself is a transplant too! LOL

My point is to just sit back and watch how the others interact. Are they chummy or distant? Are they easy going with each other or does it feel phoney? Who's the "leader" do they HAVE a "leader"? All this stuff is important info that will help you make friends!

Good luck!

Try putting out a candy dish on your desk When people stop by, starting chatting them up. I've seen it work! Good luck.

I know this problem too well, I work in a really competitive job, and when I came back to Spain, some people were flat out hostile and mean.

The best thing is just to keep a smile on your face and wait it out. Before long, it will be like you were always there! BTW I like the candy dish idea, LOL.

Two or three weeks is not a lot of time to get to know folks
    at work. Please give it more time & like someone said, be friendly
    and patient. Give yourself time to check out who you really chose
    to buddy around with.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think I know how you feel. Sorry to hear that though I hope things will get better soon..

Its can seem hard to make friends sometimes when you're at a new place, since everyone there have known each other for longer and are already friends. But just try to talk to them more and maybe ask them out for lunch one at a time. But be patient and take it slowly, and I'm sure you'll be fine
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

Hope it gets better soon. Im sorry to that is so hard on you.
    I know how you feel.

Thanks guys. It just has never taken me this long to make friends..so it gets kind of depressing.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Put some pictures of your kitties on your desk. That should attract the type of people who would make the best friends. Who needs the other ones anyway!
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Originally posted by Rachel
    Put some pictures of your kitties on your desk. That should attract the type of people who would make the best friends. Who needs the other ones anyway!
    I agree But don't come off as an animal freak...yet, LOL. Personal obsessions can come later, after people get a good grasp of your personality. Actually, here's an idea. Buy a PT calender and put it on the wall. That'll be a greyt conversation starter!