Thread: RIP, Prism

RIP, Prism

Prism died on Wednesday morning, 8/24/2005, sometime around 7:30 AM. On Sunday, 8/21/2005 I went out and purchased a large frozen rat for him from All Pets Club in Wallingford, CT. It was the first time I'd ever gotten food from them - and I got three other rats for my other snakes. I've been keeping an eye on them, and they are all ok, active and healthy.

He ate the rat with gusto, and it was 3/4 of the way down his digestive tract by Monday. Sometime on monday night I noticed a rancid smell in that room, and I thought it was just the containers that I fed my snakes in, so I cleaned them out and put on the ionic breeze, hoping that would clear out the remaining smell.

On tuesday, when I got home from work, the smell had gotten worse. It was permiating the entire third floor, and drifting down to the second. I finally found the cause. Prism had regurgitated that rat - the same one that was 3/4 of the way down - well beyond his stomach.

I disposed of the rat and checked on him - he was EXTREMELY weak, could barely raise his head, he was very listless, and when I picked up his tail gently and let it go, it just flopped back down to the ground. I freaked out and RUSHED him to the vet, and they kept him in intensive care overnight, giving him fluids, etc. The next morning, they were about to get him out to start his treatments, but, alas, he was gone.

I called them early yesterday, and as soon as I heard the vet's tone of voice, I just KNEW. I cried most of the day, and I still break down into tears when I think about it.

I called the vet back yesterday, and I asked them to cremate him. I also purchased a little rock urn from www.4everinmyheart.com with a nice little quote on it, his name, the year he was born, and the year he died.

Today, I have to go to the vet office to sign a release form so that they can have him cremated.

I'm SO devastated. I’ve been beating myself up, thinking what if I had done this, or what if I had done that, but the Vet was convinced that it was a blockage in his digestive tract, so I know there’s nothing I could’ve done about it.

*CRYING*

RIP, Prism.
    Last edited by ILoveReptiles; 08-25-2005 at 07:45 AM.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree

I'm so sorry RIP Prism

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I am soooo sorry. Prism was gorgeous. My brother had the same thing happen to one of his snakes and he too was devasted. The urn is just gorgeous. A perfect place for Prism's ashes to rest.

((((HUGS TO YOU))))

R.I.P. Prism

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

So terribly sorry for your loss.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so sorry, he was such a handsome boy!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

again, I'm deeply so sorry!

no, stop it. don't beat yourself up! we all feel that way, blaming ourselves just beause creatures couldn't talk! I know that miserable feeling...not greeeaat. but remember, you gave prism so much, those days, warm home, great food and loved him. I guess he just wanted to go now. (((holding you)))

sulk hard up there, prism!! rest in peace afterall.

..gina
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

What a stunning creature, it must be horrible to see him go. My deepest sympathies, I'm sorry this had to happen to him! Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of seeing him until today. *Do not* blame yourself. Just reading this thread made me see what a loving mother to him you were! There was nothing you could do. RIP, beautiful Prism!

Lots of hugs for you!

If you'd like a sig, PM me.

So sorry to hear about Prism.
    He was beautiful ......

{{{hugs}}} to you ...
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I'm so sorry for ur loss

I got the call on Tuesday evening, that Prism's ashes were ready. So I went to pick them up last night. I'm still waiting for the urn, and as soon as it arrives I will transfer his ashes from the tin they came in to the urn.

Naturally, I wanted to see what they looked like, and I noticed a few flecks of color - pearlescent pinks. The last remnants of my beautiful Prism.

I know I'm being dramatic, but I couldn't help shedding a tear or two this morning. He will be greatly missed.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree