Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raining cats and dogs - your part of the country?

Raining cats and dogs - your part of the country?

I was just chuckling over Donna "moosmom" thread about underwear in a snit and the fact that the expression has different versions depending on where we live. (panties in a knot, knickers in a twist)

So, do you have a version of the expression "raining cats and dogs" - meaning raining really hard.. in your area? Is it any different?

John told me that in Arizona they used to call heavy rains Frog Stranglers because the flash flooding would hit so quick it would kill frogs!

In Nevada if it rains heavy, most of us just stand around looking confused going "What the H**L?" lol

And at least my variant of Knickers in a knot (Mom loves that phrase lol) is "Panties in a twitch"

I know the phrase "raining cats and dogs" but I don't know that I've ever heard anyone actually say it in conversation outside of my elementary school teachers! LOL Usually someone just exclaims "Holy $hit, look at the rain!" or "Damn, that's comin' down hard isn't it?"

As for the 'underwear in a snit' variation for my area - it's "panties in a bunch", as in " Geez, don't get your panties in a bunch!"

Nope same expression here raining cats and dogs, and that is exactly what it is doing here today,
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I have never heard of "underwear in a snit" LOL like SamanthaPuppy said, it's underwear in a bunch, here.

It's raining cats and dogs here!!! I love it!!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

It's just "raining cats and dogs" around here. "Panties in a wad" is more the saying here or sometimes it's "drawers in a wad" (said like doors with an r after the d). I guess that is more the redneck saying.

From Decker with Love

raining cats and dogs...well in newfoundland I always heard my grandmother use...it's "pelting out of the heavens" and another one I have heard recently here in Ontario is "the heaven's have opened up".

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

We say: it is raining pipe-stems!!!

n Dutch: Het regent pijpestelen!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I don't know if they use this in the rest of Texas, but down here in Houston, where we have Gullys and Bayous vs Creeks and Rivers, we'll say a big rain is a "Gully Washer".

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Yeah - we call it "Summer" (eh Killearn Kitties?)
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

We do indeed. Not much point getting your knickers in a twist when the heavens open and it rains cats and dogs!

LOL!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Twisted Knickers and more :D

We have several PT'ers who are in the family way, with child - you know, they have a bun in the oven. Sometimes we all have to be excused to follow the call of nature and visit the ladies room (or mens room). Sometimes we may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, feel under the weather and might even have to run like the dickens to the ladies room to toss our cookies or lose our lunch

I hope ya'll keep talking about language, silly and interesting phrases and the whole nine yards

Yep, I done got knocked up.

ROFL

For the rain, we say "it's raining ropes", or cords, I don't know what's the best word to translate. But more commonly in the North of France and Belgium, we just say: oh, no! Week-end has started!!! Isn't it Lut?