Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Male or Female which do you prefer?

We always had male pets. The one female we had was very tempermental, independent. not very affectionate (only to my mom?) and seemed to have perpetual PMS! Then again, like Rottie, I chose a male dog cause I wanted a big, tough guardian who could take a tussle. How chauvanistic of me! To think a female couldn't be that way! I really think it's how you train it, the personality. On the goofy side, my mom and I enjoy astrology and coincidently, all the male pets have been December babies so now (silly mom) only wants a December born dog!!!!! when we get another! Humor her, my friends!! It makes her happy!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

I have a male and a female boxer. I found with boxers your better off with a male. My female thinks she owns the place. She won't listen to any one else but me. She won't even listen to my boyfriend (who I've been dating for 2 and a half years)!I can't speak for other dogs, just boxers....that's all I have....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I DEFINITELY say MALES...I have one of each. I don't know about you all, but my dogs act like children! They are both about 2 years old. My female has mood swings...she is happy one second,and mad the next. She pouts when she is scolded, and gets over it only when you apologize to her and over indulge her with affection. Spoilt dog huh? My male is so carefree. He knows when to stear clear of his grumpy sister, and how to push her buttons...typical male! He is so straight forward!

pyrlab,
    Do you have a Great Pyrenees?

I have three sons and 1 daughter.

Realized one day I had 2 male goldens
    1 male cat
    1 female rescue dog
    Again 3 boys and 1 girl.

I did not pick the sex of my first golden, he was just there to rescue. I wanted a female for my second golden, for one of each. But he picked me. I don't think the sex has made a lot of difference. But males who squat and do it all one time is a trait I really like.

The count is off now. My female rescue has a loving new home, my male kitty is missing, but... with 2 male dogs and 1 rescue male kitty, there must be 1 female somewhere on the way to my house. It's always that way. If my Jasper could just come home, I would rejoice in the "all male" family.

Speaking of boxers, there are two that we see quite often at the beach near my house. The owner tells me to keep my distance. Her male is sweet but her female is dominant and aggressive. I am sure there must be sweet female boxers too. Depends on the individual dog, except in cases where the female guards her young.

ALL my dogs and cats are ALWAYS spayed or neutered.

SUDILAR,
    She is a Pyreneese/Golden Retriever. She is such a beautiful dog, but quite the handful

[This message has been edited by pyrlab (edited May 11, 2001).]

I didn't care when I got my dog (female weimaraner spayed)but now I prefer females. There are no territorial issues for her with other dogs at all, she actually ignores most other dogs and only wants our attention.
    In Israel, where neutering is very rare (macho-ego thing) It is difficult having a male you have to be on the look out all the time.
    I think that raising several dogs in one household can also influence their personality development. If there is a dominant older dog, the younger may be less likely to be dominant. He learns its safer not to be and accepts the older's dominance. This may not necessarily be age related.
    I know a wiemaraner father and daughter who live together and she is very submissive. She doesn't exhibit typical weim hyperactivity and aloofness (when outside playing) but approaches strangers to be pet like a golden retriever something my dog would never do.
    When we rescued a male german shepard my female was very dominant over him even though he was literally twice her size. (it was her house first). He humbly let her have her way.

i never really had a pref growing up. though as a kid i thought it was cool that females could have puppies. now after meeting many dogs, i am defently more sided towards males. i don't know how to explain it, but the females are just like human females...so annoying in their own way. (i am female too, so don't try to get me for being a male pig.) and you don't have to worry about males getting all weird when they go into heat.

I've always preferred males. They seem to be more friendly and eager to learn, and please.

I like both, so I have one of each!!

------------------

I like both, they can both be sweet, both can be wild. I just like them both.
    Picture of my dog Watson coming soon...
    to a Pet talk near u

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
    <STRONG>Besides the obvious, do you find much difference between a male or female dog. For many years friends would tell us don't ever get a male dog you will be sorry and he will lift his leg on everything. We had always had female dogs, I think for at least 25 years, then two years ago my husband decided he wanted a male Schnauzer and I was not happy but Perry came into our lives. I have completely changed my mind about males. He is the sweetest, most loving dog, if he sees you are sad he will come sit with you. Before Kona crossed the Rainbow bridge, he would lick her eyes and face and outside he would drag out a pillow for her to lay on.
    On the other hand our little female Daisy is very independent, maybe will come if you call her or maybe not, she is loving in a differnt way. We love our dogs more than life itself, both of them, but I would never hesitate to get a male again.
    By the way Perry only lifts his leg on a tree or our backyard fence!

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 17, 2001).]</STRONG>
    Hi, i also have a male schnauzer. well i like both. males are more playful. on the other handd females can have baby puppies. if i had to dicide i would get both!
    "Looking into a dogs eyes to me is like looking into life it'self"
    From Tiger and Chelsea
    (e-mail me at [email protected])

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
    <STRONG>Besides the obvious, do you find much difference between a male or female dog. For many years friends would tell us don't ever get a male dog you will be sorry and he will lift his leg on everything. We had always had female dogs, I think for at least 25 years, then two years ago my husband decided he wanted a male Schnauzer and I was not happy but Perry came into our lives. I have completely changed my mind about males. He is the sweetest, most loving dog, if he sees you are sad he will come sit with you. Before Kona crossed the Rainbow bridge, he would lick her eyes and face and outside he would drag out a pillow for her to lay on.
    On the other hand our little female Daisy is very independent, maybe will come if you call her or maybe not, she is loving in a differnt way. We love our dogs more than life itself, both of them, but I would never hesitate to get a male again.
    By the way Perry only lifts his leg on a tree or our backyard fence!

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 17, 2001).]</STRONG>
    Hi, i also have a male schnauzer. well i like both. males are more playful. on the other hand females can have baby puppies. if i had to dicide i would get both!
    "Looking into a dogs eyes to me is like looking into life it'self"
    From Tiger and Chelsea
    (e-mail me at [email protected])

I did not choose Ricky but when my daughter handed him to me, all I saw was a beautiful little pup. It never dawned on me that people had sex preferences until I was walking Ricky one day and an older Hispanic woman in a car asked me to bring him over so she could see him better. When she saw he was a boy, she stated "I thought he was a girl, ugh! I would never have a boy" All I could think was how rude and who asked you?

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: MHMama ]

Well...I've always had male pets. Never, in my life, have I ever had a female pet...unless you want to include my goose! I guess this is from being around guys all my life (I play on a boys' Lacrosse team).

As to date, I've got:

Chevy, bull terrier, male.
    Java, cockatiel, male.
    Stormy, hedgehog, male.
    Blizzie, goose, female.
    Lucky, gander, male.

But more or less, the reason I got a female goose is because I wanted one that adapted to you easier...and I adopted Lucky when Blizzie fell in love with him at the farm where she stays when I go on holidays.

A bird is worth a thousand words.