Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had an overnight guest!

I had an overnight guest!*WITH PICS*

my friends golden, Dakota, slept over at my house last night, while he is a sweetheart, I am never letting that dog come over again, I gave him the exersize he needed that he does not get at home, but he is still insane, he is huge, he nearly collapsed my rabbits pen just by sniffing at it, while he has some basic training he does not listen well at all, he wont sit unless you shove his butt down most of the time, he rarly lays down on command, he does NOT stay period, he drags you down the street, he wont play fetch longer then 3 tosses, and he has health problems like you would not believe, his skin is horrid his coat is greasy and brittle, he has chronic ear problems and he breaths heavily ALL the time, like his breathing and his heart rate do not slow when he sleeps. I got almost no sleep as he had NO intention of sleeping last night, I was up a 5AM exersizing him, I tried to give him something to keep him occupied so I could sleep, that was usless he refused a PB filled kong, would not touch his kibble even coverd in gravy(he did eventually, but it took forever) finally I gave him a raw bone which he though was the greatest thing ever but I had to watch him with that as he is so big I was not sure evene the largest bone we had was big enugh as we have them cut small at the butchers for our dogs. he is a sweety and I took good care of him but he drove me up the wall, definatly not a breed I ever want in my house again! lol anyway i took pics asnd i will post em soon
    Last edited by cali; 08-11-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

sorry I just realized that it sounds like I said I will never have a golden because of Dakota behaivoir and health issues obviously not all goldens are like him when trained and fed correctly, its the happy happy, love everybody attitude that turns me off. just so nobody thinks Dakota is the reason I am not a golden fan
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

i was just about to say something about ur first post till i read your second

I would say that dog need some major training.. yeah not all goldens are bad just they need 2 be trained good

I agree, I have worked with him, but there is only so much can do when his owners refuse to give him the exersize or the attention that he requires, I tell them he NEEDS more exersize they just say "ya whatever" and blow me off, I do what I can for him but I cant do much
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Poor dog.

6. Not the dogs fault.. its the owners.

cant wait to see the picture though!

Originally posted by cali
    I agree, I have worked with him, but there is only so much can do when his owners refuse to give him the exersize or the attention that he requires, I tell them he NEEDS more exersize they just say "ya whatever" and blow me off, I do what I can for him but I cant do much
    that is so his owners do need to work with him alot more... I mean there is just so much that you can do for this furbaby... I mean if they are not gonna train him then why in the world do they have him..

Originally posted by Vette
    Not the dogs fault.. its the owners.

cant wait to see the picture though!
    I agree with ya on that.. and i too can't wait to see the pic's

Oh, I hate that. I have to resist the urge to train, walk, and groom all the dogs in my neighborhood!

That's sad that he has health problems. I read somewhere that Goldens have the most health problems of any breed. But they are so smart and sweet. (And active! LOL) Well, at least you got some exercise... ...and no sleep. I'm sorry!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

lol really? I never knew that. having BCs I am not so sure I agree with the bright part lol I would have to say that Dakota is one of the dumbest dogs I have ever met. he is not independtent or not responsive to training, he just does not learn very well at all, it took my dogs 2 reps to realize that click = treat, after doing it every day for a year with Dakota, well he still hasent figerd it out,. well you would have to see him in person to see what I mean by dumb lol now I am sure most golden are smarter then Dakota, I have BC's so my view iof "smart" is a bit skewed lol

I do everything I can with Dakota, I insist we take him for walks or that he come to my house and I will exersize him, I come over there on a regular basis and rather then hang out with my friend and play with Dakota in the back yard, I also do the grooming for both their dogs, and I always work on training when I am with him, and I give them things they can use to relieve his skin problems, while my home "cures" do not rid him of the skin problems perminetnly they do get rid of them as they come, and I help them keep his ears clean and give then reccomdations etc.. as I said I do what I can, but I have my own dogs that need groomed and exersized.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

here are the pics! most the them he is at the rabbit pen or eating just because the rest of the time he was on my lap and well its kinda hard to take pics of a huge dog on your lap lol

you get an idea of his size on thiese ones, the rabbiut pen is about 2 1/2 feet high, and he can walk up on all fours and stick his head in the pen lol

breaky time

Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

I think he's beautiful!! He looks pretty healthy to me.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

he looks healthy to me, too! he's gorgeous! no offense but I got offended when you said he was the dumbest dog you've ever met
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

lol you have to see him and touch him to noyice the problems, while his coat looks shiny its very greasy and brittle, and under the hair his skin is is horrable condtion, full of sores and scabs and flakes and bumps, and well obviously you cant hear his breathing through pictures lol

why were you offended? I was refering to him and him alone.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Every dog is different, of course, but I've found that Goldens are one of the more intelligent breeds when it comes to their eagerness to learn/try new things and please their owners.

Has he ever been to a vet for his skin/coat and ear problems? Goldens are especially prone to these types of conditions. She should definitely get him to a vet if his breathing seems to be of concern, too. That must be completely dreadful for him.. ugh.

That poor boy deserves so much better. How sad.