Thread: The poop saga continues...

The poop saga continues...

I gave the kittens food half an hour ago. Then let them out to run and play a bit before returning them to their room for the night. Walked into the bathroom and someone pooped on the bathmat. It was runny, half solid and sorrounded by a lot of blood. It was bright red and looked like strawberry jelly. On the floor next to the bathmat was a spot of blood mixed in a clear gel-like blob (assuming mucus?). Not sure if it was Angel or Flutter, since they were both playing upstairs. BUT I would lay bet that its Flutter since she's the one who's been caught pooping outside the box and the one who I've noticed blood in stool before. So much for Flutter making solid poop. This poop wasn't solid, but it was close to solid... if that makes any sense.

Just wondering if THIS is something to really worry about, or is the blood normal for such an extended bout of diarreah. Of course I'll describe it to the vet on Wednesday. Angel has a vet appointment Wednesday. I didn't make one for Flutter since she's been making solid poops for two days now... or WAS makign solid poops.

Sigh... I am so tired of poop! I was pooped on THREE times today. I wiped up at leat a dozen spots off the carpet. Anybody else would have given up long ago. I'm not about to - especially at this point! I've come this far, I'm determined to see it through to the end!

In all my experiences with diarreha never have had the blood issue so I'm not much help.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Hugs to you and Angel! I have everything crossed that this situation starts to let up soon!

All the meds may have disrupted kittens' natural intestinal flora. Ask your vet about Acidophilus supplements. These are the bugs in yogurt. They sometimes prescribe this for people on strong antibiotics (if they can't tolerate yogurt.)

Good luck!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I don't know what to say except I hope things will improve and that they will be over this shortly. Probably all the meds have got their systems a bit messed up.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    All the meds may have disrupted kittens' natural intestinal flora. Ask your vet about Acidophilus supplements. These are the bugs in yogurt. They sometimes prescribe this for people on strong antibiotics (if they can't tolerate yogurt.)

Good luck!
    Kim, I totally forgot that when G&G were having problems I used that Acidophilus in with the pecticillin and baby food. You can get this at your local grocery store or pharmacy. It comes in powder form or pill form....it does not matter which type you use. I found the powder easier because you don't have to crush it up.

How did the girls do on the baby food? What I did was once I started getting solid poops I continued with the baby food mixed in with the kitten food.

I did not have to deal with jelly like blood poops though, so I don't have much experience or advice there.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Thanks folks. I am giving them the whatchamacallit stuff. Its in gel form and in a VERY weird dispenser. I wrestle with it nightly to get the #*@% gel out. One night it went FLYING across the feeding table and landed *PLOP* in Angel's fur. Do you know what gel looks like in a long haired kitten? LOL

I was thinking that it was working because Flutter has been giving me solid poops. But she didn't last night. I am just so worried about both girls. I never had to deal with anything like this, so its a big concern for me. I feel like I'm in a Masters program for cat rescue. This class is "Diarreah 304" and the test is a doozy.

PS: Here's the stuff I've been giving them
    Bene-Bac Gel

Originally posted by catnapper
    I feel like I'm in a Masters program for cat rescue. This class is "Diarreah 304" and the test is a doozy.
    I passed Diarrhea 304 with flying colors and now am onto Diarrhea 401 - the advanced class.

Cracker Jack was taking something called Probiacin. It comes in a tube that looks like a hypodermic needle. You dial in the 1 once dosage then push the plunger and just the prescribed amount comes out. This is the probably similar to your gel stuff and the Acidophilus. It puts the good bacteria back in in the intestines.

CJ was getting this for months because the vet said sometimes it really takes awhile for the "balance" to equal out again after an upset. I finally determined this wasn't working with CJ as his poop was the same whether I was giving it to him or not, so he has now graduated to Prednisolone. The vet said if he responds to this, that means he is allergic to something - whether it is food related or environmental - and then we can do allergy testing and either get him the right food or eliminate whatever it is in the environment. There was a suspicious First Class A-One poop on the floor this morning, so I'm thinking it's starting to work (maybe, hopefully). I don't know about giving kittens Pred. but you probably need to give the current meds time to work. Switching all the time just produces more confusion in the intestines and doesn't help anything.

One thing might be to isolate the poopers so in the event that it is something bacterial, they don't keep re-infecting each other.

Poor little girls and poor you! I know exactly what you're going through and according to my vet, CJ's diarrhea is hurting me more than it's hurting him. He is completely healthy - even gained 1/2 pound since his last visit - plays, eats and drinks like normal. He said some cats are just like this and I'm more worried about it than I should be. But then again, CJ is a full grown cat and not a kitten who can get dehyrdated much more quickly.

Anyway, didn't mean to write a novel, but I feel your pain and just wanted to share what I hope is finally working with CJ.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Have they been tested for Ghiardia or however it's spelled? My sis in law's whole family got that from drinking water where they lived and so did their dog. It just dawned on me that what you are describing is very similar to what they went through. It took them almost a year to get rid of it and that even included moving away from the bad water source.

From Decker with Love

Angel's been tested for EVERYTHING - both in house at the vet's and they sent everything to a lab. All results came back negative.

They even did a food sensitivity test... and nothing. So frustrating!
    We'll see what's going on tomorrow.

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that both girls are still having diarrhea problems. How old are they? Sometimes no matter what you do, kittens just have to mature more and out grow this. I think this is what Sirrahbed had to do. I've been informed from Starr's foster mom that his stools are still mushy and that he's very prolific in the litter box. She's now started giving him Albon again. He'll be 5 months old soon so hopefully he'll out grow this soon because it usually takes until they're 6 months old to out grow this. Good luck and please keep us updated.

I am so sorry- I am not sure I could cope with that. (Of course you never know until you are in the situation.) I hope the girls will be better soon .