Thread: Feral Tree Squirrels (not flying ones)

Feral Tree Squirrels (not flying ones)

Has anybody got any ideas on how I could treat feral squirrels at a vet hospital or office?

Two of my porch feeders (they come up to our feet for nuts and fruit) are sick. One has a large pea-sized growth on each of her two front paws, on different "fingers", and the other one has puffy and swollen discolored ears and eye rims; we thought he was flea ridden but now are thinking it is "mange" in some shape or form. We know nothing of mange, or what causes it.

I have been wondering if I can trap them at different times and take them in for treatment.

I know they will be comfortable after the initial trapping, if I am there. They know me and know I will not hurt them. But, is this too cruel for me to do? Will they suffer too much, if I try this method of helping them? I can't do much else for them but feed them.

If I could treat them with medicine I could put it in peanut butter, they will eat it in front of me. Too large a nut or fruit, they go hide it and come back for more! (they have US trained).

Please, any ideas??

Thanks so much for any help,

Sarah Bonkers Ears and Sweat Pea (when we see her, she's shy) finally The two Grays
    Snowyowlcat

I wouldn't take them to a vet, I would take them to a wildlife refuge. I would think that they would be more familiar with what type of care and after care a squirrel would need, and may even have a set up that would contain the animal if needed until it recovers, and then gradually release it again.