Thread: declawing???

declawing???

I have to move back in with my mom while my fiance is getting his job transfer to another state, he can't take elle with him b/c of his roommate for the first two months, my mom won't let me bring her with me to her house unless she is declawed, i don't want to get rid of her she is the sweetest! Are there any alternatives?
    Jes

Please....look into some websites and direct your mom to them about declawing. It is a horrible thing. Declawing you cat would be like having your fingers cut off to the first joint. They remove bone and tissue not just the nail. And besides that they can't stretch properly, climb properly, or defend themselves if they get outside. Declawing also causes behavioural problems such as biting. There is an alternative. It's called soft paws. They are caps that go over the cats claws and they cannot scratch thing and do damage. They are not expensive and it save your cat an extremely painful and deforming surgery.

Please kep us posted and I am sure other members will be glad to offer their opinions and advise.

Michelle & the girls

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

One of the Vet Techs at our vet's has a new cute,cute,cute baby kitty she brings to the office with her and she had soft paws on. It was the first time I had ever seen them in use. They seemed to be working (staying on ) pretty well and the kitty was walking and behaving like kitties do. I hope you are able to find a way to keep your furr baby without declawing.

Re: declawing???

Originally posted by newowner
    I have to move back in with my mom while my fiance is getting his job transfer to another state, he can't take elle with him b/c of his roommate for the first two months, my mom won't let me bring her with me to her house unless she is declawed, i don't want to get rid of her she is the sweetest! Are there any alternatives?
    Jes
    Declawing is awful. That is the only way cats have to defend themselves. Get a straching post for your cat and get some reading material on the evils of declawing. GOOS LUCK!
    SandyFrost

There are a few alternatives. First off make sure that your kitty has a proper scratching post. Soft Paws are an excelent alternative, they are plastic caps that fit over the nail. The cat can still use their claws as they normally would for play and stretching but since it's capped they are unable to actually claw into things like furniture. You can also make sure to keep your cats nails trimmed so that they are dull instead of sharp.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!