Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FURIOUS!(about pitbulls)

The American Pit Bull Terrier (not recognized by AKC), Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Staffordshire Terrier are all different breeds. However, there is no breed called the Pit Bull. When people say Pit Bull it could be any one of the breeds I listed. It's wierd, because you'd think Pit Bull would refer to only the American Pit Bull Terrier, but in reality it could be any one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyummydog
    PLEASE!!!

Why in the world would you want my dog dead? You don't know him, and
    obviously don't know ANYthing real about the breed. Or am I wrong and you've personally owned a pittie and it killed everyone in site. Or maybe you've been physically damaged by them in some way that makes you hate them. There are several people here on PT that are owned by pit bulls. And I feel safe in saying that all the people here on PT are "true" dog lovers. No matter what the breed is. And there really isn't any sense in upsetting any of these real dog lovers by your comments, when you obviously know the things you are saying are just going to upset us all. Would it be at all possible to keep your hateful opinions to yourself? This is a dog lovers forum.

So, let's be nice shall we?
    A misconception, she never said she wanted them dead.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    Okay then. Let's ban Border Collies, only people that have farms can have them. They have to be muzzled at all times, because they are herding dogs and they nip. They can only be offleash when herding, at all other times they must be in a pen or tied on a heavy chain. They are much too hyper to be a family dog, and they nip at children. So now, are you okay with that? Because you don't have a purpose for your border collie, we're going to let the government go in, take your dog, and throw it in the incinerator. Okay?
    What a wonderful post, and so true.

What I want to say to you, Jess, is that you're not looking at the whole picture. Pit Bulls have the most publisized attacks and this is the only reason people hate this particular breed so much. I cannot tell you the countless numbers of Pit Bulls that I have met at work and have not been bitten, scratched, nor tormented by any of them. Just last Monday I was bitten by a Lab. I've been bitten by TONS of small dogs. I've been bitten by German Shepherds. And, yes, I have been bitten by a Border Collie. It has to do with the owner and breeding that the dog comes from. Besides, Pits that were trained to fight were taught to fight other DOGS, not humans. The dogs had to trust their owners so that the fights could be broken up and not have the people get hurt.

I know this was already posted in this thread, but did you look at this site? It really puts the whole thing into perspective.
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com

She's leaving, remember? So there is no point in debating it with her.

whos leaving?
    [QUOTE]I know this was already posted in this thread, but did you look at this site? It really puts the whole thing into perspective.
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com[QUOTE] thats a really good site i read the whole thing and totally agree with them i just wish every1 could
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    She's leaving, remember? So there is no point in debating it with her.
    You're right. I forgot about that. Thanks!

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    What a wonderful post, and so true.

What I want to say to you, Jess, is that you're not looking at the whole picture. Pit Bulls have the most publisized attacks and this is the only reason people hate this particular breed so much. I cannot tell you the countless numbers of Pit Bulls that I have met at work and have not been bitten, scratched, nor tormented by any of them. Just last Monday I was bitten by a Lab. I've been bitten by TONS of small dogs. I've been bitten by German Shepherds. And, yes, I have been bitten by a Border Collie. It has to do with the owner and breeding that the dog comes from. Besides, Pits that were trained to fight were taught to fight other DOGS, not humans. The dogs had to trust their owners so that the fights could be broken up and not have the people get hurt.

I know this was already posted in this thread, but did you look at this site? It really puts the whole thing into perspective.
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com
    I agree. I worked at the boarding kennel (and I'm going to start working there again this week)...because of their dog aggressive nature, we don't let pits board there, but of course there was enough that slipped through with being called a lab/boxer or something, and some that debated they were AmStaffs..blah blah yeah, I never felt threatened by any of them, whatsoever. Some of the breeds that I specifically remember being nervous around (I'm not discriminating against them, just making a point), was two boxers, a border collie, two chows, a couple shepherd mixes, a couple GSDs, a Rottie Mix, a couple Dachshunds, and a Bichon. Plus some of the labs were quite mouthy, and would push you over in a second, and a lot of goldens are flighty and not all there mentally...they would bite you in a second if you're not careful. The worst was the Bichon, which actually got me, a chow that came after me, and a Boxer that starting lunging and barking at my legs. The pits-absolutely NO problems with. It's not just pit bulls, it's all dogs.

The point is, they are so discriminated against, that a lot of them are only owned by people that have them, just to have a mean pitbull, the dog gets loose, and the news stories happen. You don't hear about the lab that attacked someone, or the Poodle, because it's not eaten up by the media. This is a media based fear. They were NOT bred to fight people, they were bred to fight dogs. When Pit Bull fighting first came out...any dog that turned on a handler, was immediately killed. Not so anymore, but please understand where I'm coming from. It's the good people that own pits that are being punished, the bad people aren't even being touched. They don't care if the dog is taken away, they'll just get another one, or some other breed. Banning pit bulls is NOT the answer. Licenses to own them, fees, spay and neuter contracts, is the answer.
    "When pit bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will own pit bulls. "

This is a very heavy topic of mine.

I just want to make this plain and simple. It has gotten mixed up with the nicknames and confused. American Staffordshire Terriers (Am Staffs) and American Pit Bull Terriers (APBTs) Can be the same breed. If you register your dog with the UKC as an APBT first, the AKC won't reccognise him as an Am staff, but If you register your dog with the AKC as an Am Staff first, the UKC WILL let you register the same dog as an APBT. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffie, Staffie Bull) Used to be the same breed as the Am Staff and were bred together but broke off as a separate breed about 60 (?) years ago and since has been bred as a very different breed.
    Here is so you can see how small staffie bulls are:

and here is a picture of am staffs for size:
    Last edited by Suki Wingy; 11-27-2005 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add pics

Niņo & Eliza

well i would like to bring up the best, most well behaved dog at the shelter I work at. The only dog that walks perfect on a leash, doesn't jump on you, etc. She had puppies and is a wonderful mother. She loves people and other dogs. I am in love with her, what a sweetie. She was a stray, and yet she is such a great dog. Her name is Matilda.

and guess what kind of dog she is? she is 1/2 PIT BULL.

(and forget that a said i have never met a pittie. i have met a pittie mix. lol)

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyummydog
    You're right. I forgot about that. Thanks!
    I wouldn't doubt if she's still reading. She didn't leave right after she said that, either. Either way, I would say that to anyone who talks about Pitties the way she does.

I don't see how we're being biased. You're probably not going to, but would you like to explain?

And, for the record, you're the one who is being arrogant. Most of the people here have been calm. But this is a heated subject.

EDIT: I think she really left this time ... her signature and avatar were just taken out.

EDIT AGAIN: That last sentence is incredibly childish.

The mayor has been notified, I'm sure it will be taken care of.

thank you

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'll edit my thread too so that I don't have her quoted.

I was going to send a message to Karen but Jess has been cursing for a while on this topic so I figured Karen would already have a bunch of messages regarding her.

oh ok.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*