Thread: Road Rescue Fatal for Elderly Woman & Dog

Road Rescue Fatal for Elderly Woman & Dog

So sad.....

Road Rescue Fatal for Elderly Woman & Dog

OWINGS -(July 27, 2005) -- Calvert Sheriff's spokesman Dep. Theodore Allen reports that a woman's attempt to save her dog from highway traffic turned out real bad for her and the dog when she rushed onto the highway and was struck and killed.

On July 27th, 2005 at 10:23 pm, Deputies from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office responded to the intersection of Maryland Rt. 4 and Mt. Harmony Road, Owings, for a report of a pedestrian that was struck by a car. Preliminary investigation revealed that Jean Wright Linehan, 88, of Owings, was attempting to remove her dog from the northbound lanes of Maryland Rt. 4 when she was struck and killed by a vehicle operated by Erik Scott Glassman, 24, of Arlington, Va. Linehan’s dog was also struck and killed. Glassman was transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. He was treated and released. The crash is still under investigation by the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Crash Reconstruction Team.

Oh my God...that is sooooooooo sad. It sounds like something I would do...run out in traffic to say an animal. That poor woman (and dog). May the both rest in peace.

I would have done the same thing too.
    Actually.... I did, when Beenie was very little, she jumped in the road when a car was coming. I ran right in front of the car (thinking he'll be more likley to see me than a 5 pound puppy). Fortunaltely, he was going slow so he stopped before hitting anyone.

How sad.

Yes, it is a terrible tragedy. RIP mom and baby. The road they are talking about, northbound route 4, is a dual lane road. Both north and south bound lanes have hills at Mt. Harmony Road. The intersection trying to cross in either direction has terrible blind spots due to this. The road doesn't plane out until you pop over the hills. I know the driver couldn't have seen them until the last second, especially at night. I, too, am guilty of going into traffic to save dogs, once for my own that got out the door and ran down the road and into traffic when I first started fostering her, and two other times chasing strays that were dodging traffic.

oh...... thats so sad.
    I, too, have went into traffic to save a dog. When my sister accidentily let our neighbor's basset hound out while letting the other dog(an escape artist) back in, we had to chase that girl soo far, and across two highways with oncoming traffic. I'm just so glad that she wasn't harmed.

And if my dogs headed for traffic (I doubt Frisk would ever, but Ethan would), I wouldn't hesitate to go after him.

At least the lady and her dog will get to venture on together and be with other loved ones.

That is so tragic, for the lady, the dog, and the man, who must be feeling like just about the worst human being on the planet right now.

Thank you Wolf_Q!