Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency vet visit

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?

Emergency vet visit

You know I thought that the bond between Winter and myself wasn't as strong as the one that I have with Smudge but I was dead wrong. I found that out last night when at like 1:00 in the morning I was woken up by here coughing and choking, after that she had some small gasps and then she seemed to settle down but I was still freaked so I went and woke up my parents....good thing their really understanding.

My dad said that she sounded all right to him and she seemed to settle down a bit after a drink and a run up the hall, so we went back to bed with Smudge at the foot and Winter curled up next to me. Then this morning when she went ripping down the hall to beat Smudge to the door she started to gasp and it wasn't any better after she came back in so I phoned the vet.

That's where she is now the vet thinks that there is something stuck in her throat because she couldn't hear anything in her chest and she had no temp or anything and Smudge is fine. No there gonna anithes (sp?) her this afternoon and check it out and then decide where to go from there.

I feel so lost having only one dog in the house though and I can't help but worry about her.

Gosh, I sure hope everything turns out ok for Winter. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

Oh no! Winter will be in my thoughts. I hope she's ok. Please let us know!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

So sorry to hear, at least she is at the vet. If something is caught in her throat, it's good that it isn't always in the way of her breathing. I hope she will be ok.

Oh dear! I hope that once under anesthesia, they can find what is ailing Winter Was she chewing on anything recently that might have gotten caught in her throat? Rawhide, bone??? Please let us know as soon as you hear!! We are keeping you and Winter in our hearts and prayers!! Smudge Pot, keep your Mommy company; she's very worried...

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    So the vet phoned twice actually the first time to tell me that they couldn't find anything with the scope and to ask if I wanted her to get the I'm guessing more senior vet (I go to a 24hr emergency clinic that has some of the best vets in the city) to go farther down with the camera.

The second time she phoned to tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the camera which means my baby girl didn't swallow or chew on anything that she wasn't supposed to.

The only thing that they could find wrong with her was that her throat was rather inflammed and her tonsils weren't were they were supposed to be, I guess dogs tonsils are in a little pocket of sorts and Winters wasn't in her pocket, but the doctor thinks that it was most likely due to the coughing.

So basiclly at the moment we are treating it as kennel cough, we got both dogs vaccinated a couple of weeks ago and we figure that Winters didn't have enough time to take effect and she somehow managed to catch it, Smudge is fine at the moment (I'm gonna keep an hawk like eye on him for the next little while) so what's happening is we're goning to be getting some antibiotics and something to help with the inflamation in her throat, and then the vets took a swab of her lungs to make sure that there isn't anything growing in there and they are going to let me decide whether or not we should send it to the lab...which I will definitly okay.

Now all I have to do is wait the 50 minutes or so till we go and get her from the vet (the appointments at 5 to pick her but we live like ten blocks away) and then I'll be happy and Smudge will be happy, and I think Winter will be happy groggy but happy.

Thanks for your thoughts gang I'll keep you updated.

Here's hoping Winter has nothing seriously wrong except a little case of kennel cough! We went through a coughing ordeal with Kobie about three weeks ago that the vets still haven't figured out, so I know how scary and puzzling it can be.

Wishing you luck that those antibiotics do the trick...

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

I'm glad Winter is on the way home. We used to have a dog that coughed like that but his was his tonsils. He'd get tonsilitis when ever the weather got cold and damp. We gave him antibiotics and it cleared right up.

Winter will sure be glad to be home, I'm sure. Lots of luck and hugs to her. Keep us posted, please.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 02-23-2002 at 07:01 PM.

I was so relieved to read your update. Your vet sounds very thorough. Kennel cough can sound very scary!! Hopefully, home again and comfy, surrounded by Smudge and the family, and with the medication, Winter will be well on the way to a full recovery! Hugs and kisses to Winter!! You gave us a scare!! And Smudge, good luck tomorrow!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Please keep us posted on Winter. You have wonderful parents and wonderful vets.

Oh my goodness, I missed this post

I am so sorry that you had to experience this. That coughing is so scary, especially to be woken in the middle of the night with it. I am glad to hear, though, that it's not anything stuck in Winter's throat. Kennel cough is scary, but it's treatable which is good.

Good luck getting Winter all back to 100% now. Let us know how she's doing when you get some time.

When Shiloh was at the shelter, she developed kennel cough. A nice lady volunteer who was particular to GSDs saved Shiloh by taking her into foster (otherwise the kill shelter was going to put her down). Then lucky us found and adopted her. She recovered wonderfully from kennel cough with definitely no ill effects!!! Good luck to your pup!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Re: Emergency vet visit

Originally posted by Crikit
    You know I thought that the bond between Winter and myself wasn't as strong as the one that I have with Smudge but I was dead wrong
    I know exactly what you mean. I remember the first time Hannah got sick when she was a puppy. It was like I went from being just someone who took care of her to her soulmate in an instant. Suddenly I realized all the qualities that I loved in her but which had been overshadowed by her bad puppy attitude. I knew how very much I loved her and needed her and couldn't bear for anything bad to happen to her. The bond was formed that very day. So I guess good things do come from bad situations.

At least the Vet report sounds optimistic that it is not anything serious and Winter seems to be feeling better. Keep us informed on any developments.

Wondering how Winter is today? Hope all is better you and your pup.

Please keep us up to date on Winter's progress. Our paws and tails are crossed here hoping for a speedy recovery. Glad you have such caring parents and such a good vet.