Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a second dog?

Question Should I get a second dog?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to this forum but excited to have a resource!

I have a 3 year old lab mix who is very sweet and a bit sensitive, but likes other dogs. My husband and I are thinking of getting a second dog.

I've heard that this is not always good for the dog and it's not always correct to assume the original dog WANTS a friend, and that a second dog can cause more problems than it solves (playtime friend for my current pooch). I'm also concerned that my current dog's great behavior may change.

Any comments, suggestions? I'd love to get another dog, but worry about my current dog being depressed or sad instead of excited to have a playmate.

Help!

Thanks.

Welcome to PT!
    Adding a second dog (or any pet) does require some serious thought. Like you said sometimes it could be the best decision made, sometimes the worst.

You say your dog likes other dogs, that is about the best start you can have. But there are other factors that you have to consider.

Fist of all can YOU afford/handle it? You'll now have to spend twice as much money & time.

Although your dog likes other dogs, does he get jealous easily?

Are you prepared & can you handle keeping them seperated at first if needed, until they adjust to each other?

Has he always been an only dog? Have you ever had other dogs in your home or on your property? If so how does he handle it?

Do you have any idea what breed &/or age of dog you would like to add to your family?
    A younger puppy or one that has been around other dogs would be best. A shelter or rescue organization should be able to help you make your decision and will allow your dog to meet the future dog to see if they get along. Some will even allow to foster the dog or even allow you a trial period. If things don't work out they will take the dog back.

Should you decide to get a new dog you want to make sure your previous dog still has "his" time and make sure (at first anyways) your dog comes first so he knows he's still loved.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Second Dog

Welcome to PT & enjoy all the talks..

I have to agree with what Lv4dogs wrote & could not have said it better myself.. I have 3 dogs..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thanks! We're looking at a dog similar in size, age, and temprament to our current pooch.

Yes, we are prepared to deal with the time and cost. I'm more worried about Smudge (our current dog).

Our dog was a rescue dog who we adopted a couple of years ago.

He has a crate (we leave open but it's his den) in our bedroom. We don't have room for another crate in the bedroom but can put a bed in there. We can separate the dogs by keeping them in separate rooms if necessary (Smudge lives in our bedroom during the day when we're not home).

I'm not sure if he is the "jealous" type - hard to say, but he loves his mini-daschund playmate across the street.

So the 2-crate thing would be difficult but if it was the only way, we'd have to find space. My hope is we can keep them both in our bedroom during the day (loose hopefully) where Smudge has his crate and doggy #2 would have her bed.

I just want Smudge to be a happy dog. I hope this will help. He always lays around the house looking bored, but is extremely attached to us. He's very protective of his terrirtory with people he doesn't know. Not sure how this might impact another dog in the house.

thanks!

I'd keep them seperated at first when you are not home to supervise no matter how well they seem to get along.

You seem to be going about this the right way, Kudos to you!

I'd say to go ahead & give it a try. If you are really worried about your dog & are not prepared or can not handle a dog if they do not get along I would make sure you make that clear to whomever you get the dog from. Make sure that the shelter/rescue organization will allow you a trial period or allow you to return the dog.

The only other thing you may want to consider, if you do get another dog that is very close in age & breed, to be prepared to loose 2 dogs at about the same time. That may too much for some to handle.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

An outgoing female or a male with a pushover attitude would probably be a good match. You don't want an overbearing dominant dog since Smudge is so sensitive, but one that establishes it's dominance in a mild way should be ok. A second dog with a lot of confidence could actually be beneficial to Smudge because he could consider them a mentor and bond easily. My RB Rottie was very sensitive while my Pit is very outgoing and confident and they made the best pair. They were glued at the hip until Ziggy passed.

Do you have any pics of Smudge?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Originally posted by Pit Chick
    An outgoing female or a male with a pushover attitude would probably be a good match. You don't want an overbearing dominant dog since Smudge is so sensitive, but one that establishes it's dominance in a mild way should be ok. A second dog with a lot of confidence could actually be beneficial to Smudge because he could consider them a mentor and bond easily. My RB Rottie was very sensitive while my Pit is very outgoing and confident and they made the best pair. They were glued at the hip until Ziggy passed.

Do you have any pics of Smudge?
    Duh, that is a very importnat factor! Thank you for bringing it up. *usually* alternating sexes is the best thing to do, but if you get the right dog with the right attitude even if they are the same sex it can work out.

Thanks so much to all of you!

I've attempted to insert a picture of Smudge here:

[hmmm, didn't work - technically challenged]

My biggest concern is that I want to do this for Smudge, and I hope that he will be happy to have a buddy. I've heard that an "only dog" who has lived with a family for a while actually is happier on his own and may not like a companion. That's my biggest fear.

Is it a fact that in general, a dog (with the appropriate temprament, etc.) who has lived alone for a while will generally like a companion? Or is it true that most dogs after being alone for a while, prefer to stay alone?

I care about Smudge so much that I'd rather not get a second dog if it would upset him, but I hope that he would welcome the companionship during the day.
    Last edited by ifl; 08-18-2005 at 11:25 AM.

I really think it all depends on the individual dog.
    Of course now a dog that is an only dog, doesn't even visit other dogs & is older would probably have a harder time adjusting to a second dog.

You're dog is still pretty young and plays with other dogs. I think you should be alright.

Great thread! I'm seriously thinking about a buddy for Mika, she needs to play 90% of the day and the cats really aren't obliging, other than nuzzling her! She shared a "cell" with another dog in the shelter 9 months ago before I adopted her, so I know she can get on with other dogs. She loves the dog park, although has a definite attitude with certain breeds and shapes and sizes. I was planning to visit the shelter this afternoon on my way home to see what they have.

Mika is lab/boxer/Rhodie/maybepit and I was thinking of a male dog, perhaps a little smaller. Right now hubby and the kids are on holiday so I have another month where there'll be someone at home most of the day to make sure they settle in ok.

The advice you gave is much appreciated!

Originally posted by Thandi
    although has a definite attitude with certain breeds and shapes and sizes.

Mika is lab/boxer/Rhodie/maybepit
    Ginger is the same way, she loves most other dogs and people, but for some reason she gets an attitude with big fluffy dogs.

Is that Mika in your avatar? All I see is Rhodie in her face. Does she have a Ridge?

It's not Mika, it's exactly what Thandi (my rainbow Rhodie) looked like. Mika is almost the same, just shorter ears. She almost has a ridge, more like a really cool zig-zag down her back! I chose her over a few hundred I saw on petfinder and various shelter sites because she looked so much like a Rhodie. We brought our old Rhodie with us from South Africa to California 8 years ago, and lost her September 2004.

Thandi had the most amazingly perfect ridge, with 2 beautiful curls at the top. I haven't seen such a perfect ridge on any Rhodies here in the US (but of course, I'm just biaised!)

Originally posted by Thandi
    I haven't seen such a perfect ridge on any Rhodies here in the US (but of course, I'm just biaised!)
    Welcome to America, land of the free....to breed however you want.

Could you maybe ask a friend to let you keep their dog at your place for a couple of days as a "try-out?" If Smaudge doesn't do well there, than I would probably not.

Make sure that this is a total stranger to Smudge, then you will know how he will most likely act!

Good luck, and welcome to PT!
    Steph, Jes, and Splinter

Question new comer

I have had a dog for a yaer and it is still very hiper it is a lellow lab and also she likes to go swimming but claws you up tring to get to you when you are in the pool to with her i need help[
    Colton Singletary