Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with training a dog

I'm not a trainer, but my chow/pointer mix is an extremely hyper dog. In fact it's why her previous owners got rid of her! She pulled on the leash, had absolutely no manners, just looked at you when you told her sit or stay then continued what she was doing. She even took out our screen once when she saw something in the yard. She's also not toy or dog treat motivated. Anyway it took awhile and a lot of patience. I started slowly, training only a couple of minutes initially (she had absolutely no attention span). I found she liked cooked chicken so I picked up some and at random I'd tell her to sit, throughout the day when I was home (this is where you aunt has to help). Alex gets training but it doesn't seem like a chore, more like periodic treat time. Running out the door we stopped by training her to "wait" different than stay because wait meant she could still move around just couldn't go past the point I told her to wait. Initially I knew she'd still bolt, so I was always ready, this way I could grab her and correct her w/o having to chase her down. I'd take her back to the spot she was when I told her wait and tell her no very firmly, and repeated what I did initially. I started initially by just opening the door slightly and for very short periods of time, eventually working my way up to the point where I can leave it open and she won't budge if I tell her to wait. Stay worked the same way. Never give a command twice, if you tell her to stay and she doesn't firmly tell her no and put her back in the same spot. On the other side if she does it well lots of praise and treats. Jumping was dealt with in a couple of ways...if I saw her start to jump I'd tell her no, if she didn't then she got praise and treats. If she jumped I'd tell her no and walk toward her which forced her down. I've even grabbed her front paws and held them for a couple of seconds as I told her no. It didn't hurt her, but she didn't like the restraint in that position. Leash training was harder for her. I could get her to stop everthing except pulling, finally I gave up and took her to a good trainer. We tried everything, halties, chokes, even treats while you walk, but ended up finding out that the pinch collar was the only thing that would work on her. When used correctly it doesn't hurt her and she won't take my arm off anymore. Truthfully I know they look horrible, and they are definately not for all dogs, but Nikka caused more damage to herself when I tried a choke collar than with a pinch. She'd pull so hard she'd choke herself. I kept having to switch back to her normal collar so she wouldn't hurt herself, which meant she pulled. She has no problem with other dogs or people, but has an EXTREMLY HIGH prey drive and we live in an area with lots of bunnies and gophers. It's the one thing I'm still working on with her, but instead of bolting to try to get it and therefore yanking me she now just whines and stomps her feet a lot. So that was my longwinded way of agreeing with some of the others. I wouldn't take her to the park until you have full control, there's just to much going on and if she can slip her collar definately not a good idea. Training dogs like Nikka and it sounds like Alex needs to be done when there are as few distractions around as possible intially. Once she's doing really well without distractions, then you can slowly start moving her into different areas with more distractions, but be prepared that even though she was doing everything perfectly w/o distractions, you'll probably have to do a few reminders once you start adding those in. I was lucky in that as hyper as Nikka is she also loves to be praised and be told she's a good girl. I think that worked better than the treats for her. So I'd recommend finding what Alex absolutely loves whether it's toys, treats or praise and use that as your primary training tool, with the others as just nice reinforcers.

Thanks! I think that she is more praise drive than anything! I don't think she gets it that much because she does so much wrong I compliment her with EVERYTHING she does right. For example, when I walk to her and she doesn't jump. I tell her good girl and give her a rub down. That was only one training session though, I have many more yet to come!
    I have been taking notes, and I think that I will give these to my aunt as well. They will be handy and help me a lot with training too!

if she can slip her collar definately not a good idea.
    We didn't know that she could until she did! Otherwise I would not have taken her. I wasn't using good judgement that day though...

Steph and Jes

I think you are doing a great job, keep up the good work.
    Did you ask your aunt and parents about more training sessions?

I was thinking about what you said about Alex not really being food motivated, don't feed her before your training session that way she will be good and hungry and will pay more attention to your treats. When you are all finished training then go ahead and give her, her dinner. Be sure she sits until you(or whoever) places the food dish on the floor. To practice this say sit, and start to lower the bowl, if she gets up say "oops" and pull the bowl back up, try again start to put the food down, if she gets up say oops and pull the bowl back up ( standup). It won't take long for her to figure out the program. You gradually work up to having her wait after you set the food down before she eats it.

Also you might want to keep a journal of her progress so you can see how far you two have come and so you know where to start on your next training session.
    Good luck, can't wait to hear how the next session goes.
    Gina

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

Sure, I hope it helped a little. Hyper dogs can take a lot of patience to train, smart ones I think are even worse sometimes, but it definately can be done! Have your aunt help by taking a couple minutes during the day to reinforce whatever you worked on when you were working with her. Make it part of her normal routine for her to sit for anything they're giving her that she wants, treats, toys, etc. It really helps, and will also help with the jumping and teaching restraint. All mine automatically sit now whenever I have something for them, since there are 4 of them and all large it makes my life much easier. Just make sure along with whatever your giving her, praise her, especially if she's praise driven. Let us know how it goes.

Gina,
    I will ask my aunt not to feed her before I come! I know she does, and I hadn't really thought about the whole thing about not wanting food. She is too full!

The journal is a good idea too! I'll be sure to keep one of her progress. Sadly, I have not asked my parents about extra time with her...I haven't been very, umm, good lately. They think that I am doing this for me, and I will ask tonight, because they and I are all in good moods today.

Steph and Jes

Hyper dogs can take a lot of patience to train, smart ones I think are even worse sometimes, but it definately can be done!
    Completely agreed! She is one of the most intelligent, and hyper, dogs I have ever known. Thanks!-Every bit of info is helpful!

Steph and Jes

OMG!!!!! The session went GREAT tonight! She knows sit, and does it before anything by habit all ready!
    Her youngest master (Andy) was there and I should him how to reinforce the training and keep her feet on the ground. He did very well, with me there.

Her walking has all ready improved! I am so proud of her! She hadn't been fed supper before I came (as I had asked) and she has no interest in chicken, beef, dog treats, etc.??? First dog I have ever met who doesn't like food. She has an AMAZING praise drive! I think that it is excellent!

She has tug-of-war breaks every 3 minutes and sits as I am getting her toy!-When she sees it she is still sitting until I say GET IT!!! Then she and I have excellent games Even Andy played tug-of-war! It was amazing to watch them. They are going to quickly become best buds (their dog probably won't live through the winter That is a WHOLE different story though.)

So, what do you think of her speedy progress? I know that I am proud! No chokes (which don't work well) no prongs, gentle leads, etc! Just praise and toys! I am so excited!

Thanks everyone!-Steph and Jes

Congrats, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Sounds like you are making progress already, congrats!!!

Since she is not food motivated but is toy motivated you can use that as your reward for a job well done. Keep trying with the food though, she may just not be in the mood for treats.

Good luck! Keep up the good work.
    Gina

Thanks Gina!

I was sort of wondering where you had been, you didn't post

I guess that Alex gets quite a bit of human food (chicken and such) soooo, that is what is causing my problems..She is so skinny (healthy) and I can't understand how?? She must not be getting as much human food as I thought then.

Steph and Jes

hey stephanie -- any more lucks? tell us an update!

I think you did great!!! probably more patience than I have.. I'm really glad this is going well and am proud of you! I use martingale because my crayola is a service dog and trainings never finishes!

gina, I'm curious..

do you only use martingale for walking or you do use it for general training sessions too?

..gina
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Well, last Wednesday, I missed her, I was at church I have bought a cheap walking harness that works pretty good!

She knows sit and does it every time I tell her to, so, we will work on lay down now. Tomorrow is the next session, SO, I will see how much she has remembered...

Steph and Jes

Gina, I only use the Martingale for walking, Jasmine is a Golden mix and I don't want her fur to get caught up in the chain on the Martingale collar. I have both collars on her when we walk and then clip it her regular collar when we are finished and take both leash and Martingale collar off.

Stehphanie, what are you going to work on with Alex tomorrow?

can't wait to hear new news tomorrow! good luck, stephanie.

interesting, gina.. I have a golden, and never had a problem with that. I too, take off once we get into house so he can sleep, snuggle all he want!

---------------------------------------------------
    posted by ginagt
    Stehphanie, what are you going to work on with Alex tomorrow?
    posted by jesse_3
    ..so, we will work oon lay down now.
    [/color]
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..