Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Hometown Known For?

Austin is known as the "live music capital of the world" (don't remember if the "of the world" part is really part of the title, but I think it is). Lots of great live music all the time.

We have 2 of the BEEEEST grocery stores here. I'm not really sure if you could even call them a grocery store, they are that darn good - Whole Foods and Central Market. Central Market is an upscale, pricier place with organic and health foods, very fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of imported things that you wouldn't find at a normal grocery store. It also has a cafe in it. Whole Foods is pretty similar. It wasn't as impressive until it just opened up a new store (national headquarters) that is AMAZING. It has an underground parking garage (multiple levels) with escalators leading up into this HUGE store. They've got stations all around the store with different unique fresh food items. They always have chili and soups out, roasted nuts, chocolate fountains with the highest quality chocolates, and much more. Whole Foods is international, but since it is headquartered in Austin and they built this esquisite headquarter store, I thought I'd mention it. Schlotsky's Deli was also founded in Austin.

I think we're also known for our BBQ. I've seen places from around here on Food Network shows a lot.

Oh yes, and there is a place an hour and a half away that makes Blue Bell ice cream... yuuum.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Oakland? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure we're famous for our high crime rate

Other than that...I'd say we're known for the Raiders annnnd, well, now we have an Inn-N-Out! Mmmm, love that place.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by jennifert9
    LOL!! That is funny! What is the Okra Strut, I wonder? Some kind of dancing vegetable?

So I thought of you and thought it would be a good song for Ben to dedicate to you...didn't you meet him when you lived in Texas?!
    And, I've heard of Turkey struts before.....but, never an okra strut. I guess maybe it's just an organized walk or something (Strutting), but, I could be wrong......I'll have to ask!

And, that would be a good song for Ben! Yeah, we met in Texas. He doesn't like country music, though, so, he might have issues with the song. Ha. Thanks for thinkin of me, though!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

columbus ohio-FOOTBALL!! the civic religion of columbus ohio, any stranger can chat up another by talking about the buckeyes, columbus is the fast food testing center of america, almost every chain restaurant tries it out here first...we had the mcrib sandwich first from mcdonalds(OY!) and of course, political corruption in the statehouse.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I was born in Philadelphia, although now I live right across the river in New Jersey. The only thing I think you guys left out about Philadelphia is the Mummers Parade. It's really something to see, especially if you get to see it in person rather than on TV. What costumes! Oh, I almost forgot - Rocky movies too and Patty LaBelle and Bill Cosby are all Philly natives not to mention Fabian, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell (some of you younger PTers may have never heard of them. They were popular when I was in high school back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. )

Kim, I never heard of Icy Tea. Where do you get it? Is it a "Reading thing?"

My hometown Lochristi is wellknown for its flowers. In fact it is the centre of the flower-region!

Lots of flower-fields everywhere you look! Mostly begonia and azalea. Lochristi's flowers are always used in the flowercarpet on the Grand Place in Brussels.

it is breathtaking!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by jennifert9
    Audrey, isn't PEI the smallest Canadian province? Or am I crazy and have no idea what I am talking about?
    Yup, you're crazy.

hehe, no, I'm kidding. As far as I know, it is the smallest province but also has the highest population density. We're crazy little buggers over here.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Deer Park is the "birthplace" of Texas...has the monument dedicated for the Battle of San Jacinto..where Sam Houston fought

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Hmmm... Anchorage, Alaska
    I guess it's known for being a meeting place for Alaskan Natives and for being mapped by Captain James Cook? (Before he wisely sailed for Hawaii to warm up).
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The town I live in now is famous for it's annual Shrimp Festival.
    Last edited by beeniesmom; 07-21-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Obviously, Kentucky is known for its awesome thoroughbred racing and horses, as well as Kentucky basketball! And what about those white picket fences and rolling hills...and bluegrass too! We are also home of the longest cave system in the world: Mammoth Caves! I love it!!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

Carson City is known for being one of Nevadas RUDEST towns lol!
    I'm not kidding, most people really don't like staying in Carson for that reason.

We are just a little ways from Lake Tahoe, one of the prettiest places there is. The lake is wonderful to swim in in the summer and the skiing is world famous.

Originally posted by aly
    Austin is known as the "live music capital of the world" (don't remember if the "of the world" part is really part of the title, but I think it is). Lots of great live music all the time.
    It is.

Oh yes, and there is a place an hour and a half away that makes Blue Bell ice cream... yuuum.
    That's worth looking into.

San Angelo Texas is home of tornados, dust storms, Angelo State University, Goodfellow AFB and the rattle snake roundup

Well, my birthplace was Pittsburgh, PA so just reference David's post (ketchup, steel, etc)

But my small little town now...

Calabash, NC - Seafood Capital of the World!

><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day