Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping arrangements

When we first got Drake, I was terrified of dogs. I do not know if you have heard the story, but pm me and I will tell it if you are interested. He had his own little area outside with a sturdy fence, dog house, and a shelter over his head. The weather wasn't cold and he got plenty of room to play and he got lots of attention from us. That only last one month. Andrew slowly convinced me to bring Drake in. It started as only a few minutes to a few hours to always. He was house broken in less than a week. The bedroom was offlimits, but that soon changed too. Andrew convinced me to let him come in a sleep on the floor. Yeah, like that worked! Drake would get on the bed and he would sleep with us. Till this very day he does. When Andrew is at home, he will lay with us for a while and then get on the floor. When Andrew is away, Drake does not leave my side. He is a bed hog, but I'm OK with that.

Looks like I'm joining the trend, after all. Seems most don't have a problem with canine and feline pets sharing the bed.

Mm, I don't really want Mario to be the bed hog like he was the first night, but I think he'll get better with that pillow there.
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness forgot about dogs."

Iggy, you can always push him or move him over if he is in your way. It will be much easier than pushing Drake! He's 90 some lbs.

Iggylove this is a critical time for you, if you decide now to let the dog on the bed you can only be mad at yourself later on if you're not getting sleep. If you keep the dog off the bed the dog will be fine, he just wants to see how spoiled he can be.

I let my dog sleep with me, and I'll take a few sleepless nights in exchange. If you do let Mario on the bed make sure he realizes that you get to pick your spot. Do you put him under the covers? My dog sleeps under her own blanket on my bed, that way she doesn't steal mine and it seems to keep her in one spot on the bed. She's part whippet and they love being under covers!!

My boyfriend lives with us now so I'm looking forward to the day I get a bigger bed. As far as I'm concerned Sadie has more rights to the bed then my boyfriend since he came into the picture 7 years later - fortunately he's very understanding and not a restless sleeper!

Everybody who has been around for awhile knows where I stand on this subject, which is sleeping with my dogs is sheer bliss. I have one who is a *spooner* and sleeps under the covers and one who sleeps on top of the covers. I can't think of anything that makes me happier than the snuggling and night-time and morning routines we share. Sleeping together is an art and generally it takes a while for everybody to get into sinc. At first I couldn't stand Tucker being so close as I could never fall asleep with even my husband touching me, but eventually it all seemed to come together. If I wanted to toss and turn a bit before I fall asleep, Tucker will pop into his dog bed for awhile. As soon as I drift off, back up and under the covers he will come. If I wake up, it doesn't bother me having him slapped up against me, in fact I then enjoy it. Hannah, the bed hog, can get herself into a position that takes up a bit too much space, but all I have to say is *Hannah move* and give her a nudge and she will reposition herself.

awww!!!zoey doesn't like to sleep on the bed with me.i think the weather here is too warm and she feels cooler on the flooor

I've had Ghost for about 2 months now and she loves the bed...and next month we're getting another husky so we need a bigger bed...I've always since I was a kid had my dog sleep in bed with me...it's just a wonderful feeling...and very comforting...I have to admit though...when she's warm Ghost goes and sleeps on her pillow on the floor but she sneaks up every now and then during the night...she's so adorable

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made us all."
    ~Cecil Frances Alexander

Iggylove, Just one look at Mario in your avatar tells me that he would definitely be in my bed! What a sweetie! Then again I am, and have always been, a softie for dogs (and cats) in my bed. Bella has been sleeping in my bed since she was housebroken. Most nights we spend are totally peaceful, but every now and then I wake up to find that she is hogging more than her share of space! I try to tell her to move, but when she's asleep she goes really DEEP (or maybe she is just pretending ). Anyway, after a gentle shove, we are back to normal again. I say, move over and make room for Mario!

Don't look, Carrie ~ More Kritterz-in-bed Tails...

My FurKids have ALL been in/on the bed Kritters ...

Shadow, my beautiful 60# Shepherd/Husky (RB in '99) learned the art of sleeping on the bed her night of adoption at 9 months. She needed a pillow to be comfortable - If she wasn't able to push my head over to make room for both of us, she'd drape herself over my body to make do. I often awoke and discovered a limb or two numb from serving as her pillow overnight! Another favorite position was with her head draped over my neck - I would awaken to a faceful of fur and unable to raise my head. After Boots, the Kat, arrived, he slept in the bookcase headboard till he outgrew the book cubby-holes; then the two of them would share their bed with me.

Cinder arrived at 6 months of age and immediately adapted to our bed her first night. The Kat was stressed with the frisky newcomer and retreated to the top of the headboard for a few weeks, but slowly returned to sharing the bed. Cinder enjoys spooning beside me for tummy and neck rubs till I drift off... If it's cold enough, she'll submit to sleeping beside me under the covers till we warm up; then she'll slip out and cuddle above the covers.

Smokey arrived abused and abandoned without a clue of house and sleeping manners . After one night in the basement, he graduated to sleeping in the bunkroom leashed to the bed. Next, he experimented with jumping up to join Cinder ON the bed - but panicked every time I moved. After sleeping under the bed for a week or so, he adjusted to my tossing and turning and began demanding his place on the bed!

Currently, the Kat has relinquished his claim to a spot on the bed - too many big feet to contend with... He sleeps on the couch or sometimes the headboard. Smokey has adopted one of Shadow's old mannerisms - he wants a piece of the pillow! Being less fuzzy than Cinder ~ He likes sleeping under the covers! And...He's like an instant-on hot water bottle - a welcome bed-mate on chilly nights. Cinder curls on or around my feet, keeping them toasty from above the covers.

Positions sometimes change during the night, but nobody puts a paw on the floor till long after I crawl out in the morning and they're sure I'm not going to jump back in for more sleep.
    /s/ Phred, the "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

the Rescued & Adopted FurKids of *Phred*

One big high-five for our Phred! You've got sleeping with the dogs down pat!

My fondest childhood memories are those centered around my pets. The warmth of their furry bodies against mine, the comforting cadence of their rhythmic breathing in the quiet are memories I wouldn't trade for the world. And now, a zillion years later, they are still in the bed, and still giving me such comfort, it's indescribable!! Everyone, including the kitties Mr. B and Oliver, jockey for position. The signal that it's bedtime......??? When the toothbrush comes out! Yes, one swipe of the pearly whites and they RUN for the bed! Cody is usually at the foot of the bed; she's a Husky x and likes it cooler. Star loves to sleep between my legs strrrrrrrrrrretched out with Oliver curled in her stomach, and Mr. B is on my head. Thankfully, I a sleeper who curls into a ball and doesn't move. How could I anyway??

And of course, it was as a child, laying beside my doggie in bed, that I first discovered Frito Feet!!! Now what would life be without that heavenly scent!! And you GO Mario!!!

Loved all of your stories. Phred...your's was especially touching....

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Wow, I don't know how you guys do it! Such cute bedtime stories! I use to think my bed was crowded with me and 1 35lb dog, now I realize that's nothing!

I wish I could sleep with my dogs, but 2 100+ lb St. Bernards and me and my hubby is too much for one bed to handle. Ususally Cleo and Sterling come up for about 10 minutes of cuddle time and then they hop down to their beds on the floor. When the alarm goes off in the morning tho watch out!! They are right there with a sloppy good morning kiss and nuzzle.

LOL! I can just imagaine trying to get 2 100 pounds St. Bernards in bed with you and hubby and those kisses must be
    like a bath.

Sheba had bed rights for a winter a few years ago
    till she started to blow coat.
    Pepper is the only dog allowed to sleep on the bed,
    and at 13 pounds, she can take over a bed. (she likes to
    cuddle next to my hubby)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Originally posted by cleo the st. bernard [/i]
    [B]I wish I could sleep with my dogs, but 2 100+ lb St. Bernards and me and my hubby is too much for one bed to handle.

----<---<--<{(@