Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping arrangements

Sleeping arrangements

Well, Mario's doing pretty well-- all except for the nights.

At night, I've been unable to keep him from jumping up on my bed at night. We have a bed that he often lays in during the day upstairs and no matter how many times we tell him "No." and put him back down on the bed, he continues to jump up.

We've been having to put him a crate, which we'd rather not do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Iggylove
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness forgot about dogs."

From what I know of Italian Greyhounds and whippets, they LOVE beds. You say he has a bed he sleeps in during the day? Are you saying he won't sleep there at night but wants to sleep in your bed instead?

Yes, in fact he's playing with a toy on that bed right now.

We bring it upstairs at night and yes, he still wants to sleep in my bed.

I just want to know what the big deal is? Just let the little sweetheart sleep with you. That's all he wants!!!! To be near his human!!!!!

This comes from someone who absolutely loves to sleep with nice soft fur by my side and at my feet. I even plan on getting a bigger bed to make my sweethearts more comfy! LOL

Sorry if this makes anyone cring.

Once Sadie was able to sleep all night we let her sleep in our bed as an "occasional" thing. Then she starting sleeping with us everynight, but had to get down and sleep on her bed when we told her (of course she always snakes back into bed after we fall asleep). When we got Cincy, we decided that when she was old enough, she and Sadie could sleep together on the floor in our room. After all, Sadie just wanted to be close to another living thing, right? ( Sadie slept on the florr just fine at my sister-in-laws house with her two dogs)

Anyway, long story short, both girls sleep in bed, under the covers with us, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

He slept in my bed the first night we brought him home.
    I actually didn't mind it all that much, except the fact he had the rule of the bed. Eh!

I have a waterbed, and I think most of them do have these, but I ended up laying against the wooden panel at the side of the bed. When I did wake up there, I would push him over, but somehow, he'd always manage to slide back down and I ended up against that panel.

..then at 4:00 AM, I couldn't get back to sleep.. so I stayed awake and watched TV. ..Mario slept like a rock. LOL

Finally, got up, walked around on my bed, and made himself comfortable on top of the covers and by my feet.

..maybe I'll have him another try and see how well I sleep tonight. Ehheh! That was the only problem: that I couldn't get much sleep.

-Iggylove

I agree that this is a problem (suprise!). If you don't want the dog to rule the bed then he shouldn't.
    A supportive bed is a must for this type of dog - a quilt or foam or bean bag type.
    Make sure he can snuggle down into it and that he is warm enough and leave the bed downstairs at night. Happy dog, happy person - no problem.

Give in, give in!!! Resistance is futile! Go Mario go!!!!!!!

Hehe, sorry. I just know the best feeling in the world is sleeping with Reece on my legs, Shiloh on my chest, and Lolly curled up in between my arm and side.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Louie started out in his playpen (we got him at 7weeks) I was bound and determined to teach him to sleep in his own bed... He slept in his playpen for about a week ... My Husband turned to me one night and said, " Please, can he sleep in the bed. He's so small." To which I said, "Once he is up here He will be here for life, and he will only get BIGGER"... Louie is a Corgi and now 3yrs. and sleeps with us EVERY night even tho he and Daddy fight for "Bed Space" my Husband will pick him up and carry him to bed if he doesn't come willingly.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    We've got Cookie in bed too. I'm not very happy but so far we've tolerated it. She snuggles up next to me, head on my tummy and sleeps many happy hours with us. She has her own basket next to daddy, but she won't sleep long there.

It's okay now that it's cold and I can tuck my feet under her warm body. I hope she has some common sense and stops when it gets warmer. She goes off the bed herself now if she's too hot and sleeps on the floor (no mom, there's no way you get me in that basket of mine! go and sleep in it yourself, or better, get dad in it!).

It's very crowded in bed, with mom and dad, Cookie and 2 cats.

My dogschool teacher is very much agains Cookie sleeping in bed because it gives her too much freedom and she doesn't see us as top dogs. So, we're now trying to get her at least of the couch... Not that this works, she's still there.

Guess I'm no help here. One look at the happy smile on my dogs face and than I know she's happy. If she's happy, I'm happy.

I am laughing at this post!

I can't help myself. Everyone tries to determine that the dog will sleep on the floor but they always end up in bed!

Carrie,
    You know we all love you immensley and respect your advice but when it comes to Smelling our dogs Frito Feet and Sleeping in bed with them, we are all just hopeless! LOL

I have actually come to love smelling Dusty's feet (Dixie's don't smell quite as strong) as we cuddle in bed together. Although my husband likes to cuddle with the pups, he still won't smell their feet. I keep telling him they smell like Frito's but he says that is just a little further than he is will to go! I told him Carrie would be proud of you, but you don't know what your missing!

Oh guys you are so lucky! You can get your dogs to walk all around your house following you everywhere, but I can't. My mum hates dog smell even though Leika doesn't smell bad! You can sleep with your dogs and snuggle against them. I can't either. Same problem. Well at least I have won some territory for Leika on the kitchen. She can get easily very cold so we let her sleep in the kitchen in the night. She has her very own basket and blanket. She snuggles and falls asleep and doesn't even wake up with the shatering my mum makes with the pans and stuff. Sometime (I'm so bad) when she is sleeping I open the kitchen door and she wakes then closes her eyes. Then I pick her up and she snuggles in my arms. It's so cute!
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

I hope Carrie doesn't read this, I sleep with Daisy every night.
    However I don't have the problem of her taking over the bed. She has her own pillow and prefers her own spot. I will have to say that I must play with her first before we go to sleep it is a routine that we have got into, then she crawls up on her pillow, then later I pull her down into the bed, covers up to her neck and she sleeps like a rock the rest of the night and wakes up at 6:30
    Perry on the other hand will not sleep on the bed, he is up and down and up and down, he prefers to sleep in his crate. He brings in three of his stuffed rabbits and is very content. We never hear a peep from him until morning.
    I guess it's just an individual thing between dog and the person.
    Jackie

Well, looks like the canine side won this time.

Last night I decided to give the "Mario in bed" sleeping arrangement another try. This time, I put a long pillow up against me, and then put Mario on the other side of that pillow. (This is my side, this is your side.
    It worked out pretty well. He could still see me over the pillow, so he wouldn't be walking around the bed looking for me. And he had a pillow right there to sleep against.

I woke up once at night- probably because I fell asleep with the TV on (..wait, I don't remember seeing the end of that movie.. ) and he was all curled up against the pillow on the other side of me. I turned the TV off and fell back to sleep.

And finally, this morning, I woke up and found him against me.. not on the pillow. How he got there without waking me up is anyone's guess, but it didn't seem to be so bad, since I didn't wake up. If things keep going like that, Mario gets to sleep in my bed.

Candy, you think thats bad? You should see me at the shelter. I pick up every dog's feet that I'm with and push it straight against my nose
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya