Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sneezing

Sneezing

The other evening I noticed a discharge from Edwina's eye. This morning she sneezed a couple of times. My husband said he awoke to her sneezing during the night.

I searched on here and found a thread from 2000 about "cat flu" which described these syptoms but it was inconclusive. Edwina is not exposed to any other cats.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I take her to the vet?

Yes, get her to the vet, it could be an upper respiratory infection. It could also be just allergies, but she may need some type of medication, especially for the eyes.

http://www.oregonhumane.com/petownered_uri.htm

Poor Edwina.

Yes, I would take her to the vet. A sneeze here or there isn't uncommon in our house, but if you noticed it, and your husband noticed it, and it's all within the last day or two *and* she has discharge from her eyes, she might have a caught a cold, or allergies. Better to be safe than sorry.

Oh, and it sounds like you better get her in today if possible because tomorrow we'll all be trapped in our houses here in the Chicago area.

Tubby doesn't like snow or I'd take him out on his leash for a walk tomorrow.

Hope Edwina feels better!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Fortunately our cat clinic is within walking distance, although I don't know how Edwina would feel about walking there -- particularly with the snow that is predicted. She doesn't seem to be behaving any different -- I don't know if she is sleeping more or if my imagination is runing away with me. How do you tell when a cat is "sleeping more"?????

Well now, that's a tough one! I guess it all depends on her normal schedule. Is she really sleeping more, or are you just paying closer attention to her to see if she's ok? Fortunately my two have never really been sick (quick, where's some wood to knock on!) so I can't give any other clues beside not eating, drinking or acting normal. I'll guess you'll have to wait for some more experienced advice.

Sounds like Edwina and Tubby concur on their dislike of snow. "Oh, it's sooo cold." as he flips his paws to get the dreaded snow off.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

I agree a vet call or visit may be in order. My cat Leonardo, has allergies that always start with his eyes watering and nose running. His vet did some tests to rule out feline leukemia and stuff. He had the feline leukemia shot when I first got him but had a bad reaction to it and almost died so I won't let them give it to him any more. He's an indoor only cat. Leonardo now has an anithistimine he takes when ever his allergies act up. Even doing that he once in a while needs an antibiotic. Hope your sweetie gets to feeling better soon.

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    (quick, where's some wood to knock on!)
    I offer to knock my head

Edwina's secretary, indeed try to remember her daily routines, if she has her specific times to sleep. C & K have a schedule for that, maybe she does too?

I sure hope nothing's wrong with pretty Edwina!

Of course we are at work most days so we aren't really sure of her activities but when I read about cats with regular routines I wonder about Edwina. She seems to have a VERY short attention span (I hope Marius doesn't read that!)and is not terribly "routine." For example -- Mondays she is "hung over" from all the activity on the weekend and sleeps extra. Some mornings she gets up with my husband and has coffee, other mornings she stays in bed with me.

I think I will go home and see how she is! I'm worried.

Edwina seems much better. Her eye has cleared, she hasn't sneezed all evening and she is absolutely bouncing off the walls. She is out on the screened porch right now watching for the snow.

I think I'll just keep a real close eye on her for now.

Glad to hear Edwina's feeling better.

Terry was in Rockford earlier this afternoon and it was already snowing there. Not heavy, but it's definitely on its way! Does Edwina have little booties?
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Glad the little one is doing better. Maybe she just got into some dust or something. Please, keep us posted.

Awww! How is Edwina doing? It sounds like she may have just had a small cold, but definitely keep observing her eye.

Yeah, I always wondered how one could tell if their cat was more lazy than normal...and if my cats were any more lazy...they would be comotose!!! My vet said a good way to see if a cat is 'lethargic' or more lazy than normal is to interact with the cat while it's resting. If you say its name or make a noise and its ear twitches (like it probably does on a normal basis), then everything's normal. But if the cat is unresponsive, that's when to look into it.

Let us know how cutie Edwina is doin!
    **hugs**

Former User Guest
    Edwina, how are you doing now, back to normal?

14. Edwina is doing much better. There is no drainage from her eye. She still has these sneezing attack particularly when she gets into bed (maybe she is allergic to me?? After all I am allergic to her. But the thought of kitty Claritan$!$)

She was unusually playful this weekend. Don't know if it was the cold weather or her romance.

She has her annual physical next month so unless her eye acts up again or I see other symtoms I'll discuss it with the vet then.

Thanks for all your concern!

Mocha does the sneezing and one weepy eye thing about this time every year... about twice a year she does it... usually coincides with the "tree pollen"... occaisionally she gets some catnip in her eye when she's flinging it everywhere, too. Mommy and Daddy panic every time, but we just watch her to make sure it's nothing serious..... Hope Miss Edwina is doing much better, perhaps it was just a tear from missing her new "Love"? Anyhoo, hope she's on the mend.