Thread: Betta Questions?

Betta Questions?

Yes, I know, I know...I have jumped on the Betta bandwagon!! Collin and I got a male last week from the pet store near our new apartment. It was Collin's idea but of course, I am the one taking care of him!! (That's OK, he loves me best )
    Anyway, I was wondering if I could get a quick instruction course from some of you experienced betta owners...? I quick read a book on their basic care at the store but it didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know..
    He is living in a fishbowl with some rocks and a little plant. It said to clean their tank once a week and use neutralizer if I put tap water in his tank. (I have been using bottled spring water for the spoiled guy!) I am in the process of cleaning his tank now. I transferred him and some of his old water to a big bowl (I used our good Corningware bowl because it's the only thing I could find! Ssshh, don't tell Collin! ) He is swimming around right now and looks like he's having a grand ole time in the big bowl so I haven't put him back yet. I think I will go get him a bigger fishbowl tomorrow since he seems to like it. Do I need to get him a real tank with a filter and all or can he live happily in the bowl?
    It also said to feed him 2 or 3 times a day..is that right? He seems very happy. I picked him because when I picked up his sad little plastic cup that they keep him in at the store, he turned and looked right at me and flared instead of trying to hide like the other ones did. I thought he showed alot of spunk! Every morning when I come into the kitchen where he lives, he comes out from his "sleeping" area under the plant and flares and looks right at me!! In fact whenever I'm in the kitchen with him, he is out in the open showing off. Maybe that means he's not happy though...? That he's scared? Or angry? I don't know...I've never had a fish in my life unless you count the goldfish I won at the NYS Fair when I was 8 that only lived a few days tragically...
    So does anyone have any advice? Am I missing something? Should I be doing something else...? Oh one more thing, his water was nice and clean for a day or two, then it got kind of dirty for a day or two and then it was clean again? What is that all about? At first, I thought I had a slob on my hands but he keeps his tank clean now.
    Oh and he doesn't have a name yet...? Collin and I can't agree on one. He wanted to call him Gill but I thought that was lame. We were going to name him Kingston after the name of the store we got him from but that is queer too...
    OK, thanks everyone for the help!!!

Congrats!

No you don't need a filter and all. Just change his water often (I usually do all 6 of mine every five days) and he'll be fine. I have most of mine in 2 gal bowls.

Feeding that many times a day isn't something I do. I usually feed 3-4 small pellets (TertaMin Granules), twice a day. Or 1-2 larger pellets twice a day. Occasionally they get bloodworms. I also fast my Bettas one day a week and feed them either flakes or a green pea the day after the fasting. If you overfeed you'll have dirty water sooner, so I try to only feed what they'll eat very quickly. If I can, I remove any uneaten food, though my guys are pigs and rarely have uneaten food!

If you have a plant in with him, make sure it's either silk or live. Plastic can damage fins allowing serious illnesses to set in.

I use tap water and water conditioner, as well as aquarium salt in their water.

Nope, he's flaring and swimming around crazily because he's happy to see you! To exercise him, you may want to sit a mirror or colorful object by his tank for 5 mins or so each day.

HTH. Good luck with him!

Edited because I can't spell!
    Last edited by micki76; 07-11-2005 at 09:59 PM.

3. Micki pretty much summed it up! I'm sure you'll do a fine job!

Just one more thing! PICTURES!

WARNING Bettas, can be and are addictive!

a betta can live happily in a bowl with no filter. i have three in that living condition. i find that bettas are happier in a larger tank with a filter, BUT they often wont eat in a larger invironment.

i feed mine once a day. they get dried blood worms, and three pellets each. mine are piggies... three times a day is way to much for a betta... most bettas dont even eat once a day.

bettas flare their gills when they are stressed, want to impress their mate, are angry, or when they are about to attack.

it is normal.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
    WARNING Bettas, can be and are addictive!
    HIGHLY addictive!! I have six and spotted another this past weekend that I wanted. Michael flared his nostrils and said - NO more! LOL!

Honestly, I don't have another bare surface to put one on at this point anyway.

Thanks for the help ladies!!

He seems like a very happy fish! I put him back in his bowl tonight and I swear he swam right into the net,eager to get back in his "home!!!"
    The plant in with him is silk. He seems to like it because it gives him a hiding place when he wants/needs one. But it takes up alot of swimming room so I think he needs a bigger bowl. Do bettas like to swim around alot or do they prefer to "chill?"
    He's a funny little guy, very "cool", never wants to get caught sleeping or resting or not looking his best...at least that is how I interpret his behavior!!
    I will stop feeding him so much!!! I have been giving him Hikari brand Betta Bio-Gold, probably 6 pellets a day...? (that sounds like a lot when I write it out!! LOL!! I hope not. But I have a whole jar of Tetra brand BettaMin...can I switch him, no big deal? Or is it like the dogs and I need to do it gradually?
    He really cracks me up because Collin will SWEAR that he doesn't know the difference but I'm telling you, when I walk in, he's happy!! When Collin walks in, he hides!!! Look at me, I'm preaching to the choir here, you guys know exactly what I mean!!
    Micki76, why do you "fast" your fish? Is it good for them? Are bettas like goldfish where they wil grow as big as the tank they are in? If I feed him more and put him in a bigger tank, will he get bigger??? Not that I want him to, unless he should naturally of course....
    Who knew that fish were so complicated!!!???

7. Originally posted by micki76
    Honestly, I don't have another bare surface to put one on at this point anyway.
    Well, theres always room for ONE more! I mean, run over to Wal-Mart and tell Michael that you need a new desk!

Mine do swim around a lot if I’m in the room, but usually when I walk in, I find them nestled in their plants or on the marbles in the bowl, sleeping I assume. I have one on the table nearest my end of the couch and he’s always putting on a swim show for me.

I fast mine because they can easily become constipated. Constipation is also the reason I switch up their foods a lot (you don’t have to do it like dogs). The green pea helps their digestive tract and, I’m sure, acts as a source of fiber to “keep things moving”. I also limit bloodworms for this reason.

6 pellets may be a lot depending on the size of the pellets. One thing to remember is that their stomach is about the size of their eye, so I keep that in mind when feeding. Bettas don’t grow to fit their surroundings, but wouldn’t they be huge beauties if they did?

Here's a good site with lots of betta info, it helped me a lot at first:
    http://www.nazarenenexus.com/betta_ed/

Congrats on your new addition.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June