Thread: Senior, spoiled, smart or a combo

Senior, spoiled, smart or a combo

Have you ever had people comment you on you're senior pets? Like saying that they don't listen well or are lazy or are too spoiled etc... when in fact it is mostly you're fault for letting them get away with more when they are older?

Nanook is pretty lame in his rear end therefore I try not to make him do anything unnecassary when it comes to moving. He used to readily be able & willing to sit pretty, lay down, high five, stand up, spin, dance, grab items, etc.. etc.. all on the drop of a dime. I haven't even asked him to do any of the high-performance tricks in years. Some people that knew him back then say he's too spoiled or dumb to listen anymore. When actually it's a combination of my fault for not making him obey certain comands & the fact that he is too smart, he knows what to do & what not to do, if it involves moving he doesn't do it unless I really need him to, then it is not tricks just the sit & down etc...

Sometimes it back fires though, like when I have to have him to sit or lay down I have to repeat the command a few times, like he's saying "do I really have to mom?". But when I ask him to speak or shake he does it on the first command still. That is as long as he can hear you clearly.

Obviously these types of people I don't see often or are not that smart. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Simba is considered "senior" at the age of 7 (8 in December) but I don't let him get away with anything, so I haven't gotten any comments. I do cut him some slack (I don't work with him as often as I do the girls) but if I tell him to do something I make sure he does it. He can sometimes get snappy with Kiara or other dogs, and if he does he's corrected right away, every time.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Shadow is now 10 and I think she does get away with things, I don't work her as hard as the younguns and I think she deserves a break. But she is still very mobile and will readily do a trick if I ask her, some of them she has gotten a bit sloppy or lazy on but I let her slack a little.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I have to admit Rocky is cut a lot of slack. He does what he wants when he wants. He is just a good dog and he never barks(unless he feels like he needs to) I think that is a protective thing. He is 8 and will be 9 in November. He is just a sweetheart and very loyal. He has to put up with Buster's crap sometimes though We correct Buster on it though. Everyone is a big fan of Rocky. He sure is a puppy at heart
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..