Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leaving your pets behind in an emergency..

Leaving your pets behind in an emergency..

With the current hurricane pounding on people's doors, some people have left their animals at home or dropped them at shelters, while they evacuate to safety.

This is just something that doesn't sit right with me. While I understand some places don't allow animals, I just can't fathom leaving them to fend for themselves.

To me, if it came down to where I had nowhere to go with my animals there's no way in heck i'd leave. If they have to stay, i'm staying with them.

Just like i'd never leave a human friend/family member behind, i'd never leave one of my animals behind. My animals are family members to me, and families stick together.

Currently I have a bag for the dogs ready to go just incase it's ever needed.

I was just curious how everyone feels about people leaving their animals during an emergency.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I hope I'm never in that situation. But, I think it depends on the circumstances. It's not something I would like to see happen where pets had to be left behind, but, if it meant death for the human members to stay behind with the pets, that would be understandable. Seemingly unlikely that that would be the only option, but, I guess there are some situations that could occur where that is.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I have been worried about all of you in Florida....hope everything is okay. I don't think I could leave my pets either and hope to god I would never have to even think about that.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I live less than two miles from a nuclear power plant, and since 9/11 I have been gearing up for potential mass evacuation. I have enough carriers for all my cats and fosters and can cram them all in the Matrix if I triple stack. I have crash space arranged upstate, in Sullivan County, with another former rescuer. Unlike forces of nature, terrorism is unpredictable.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Since I live 40 miles from Galveston the threat of a hurricane is always real for us..we watch every one like a hawk when they start up on the weather channel..so far we have never had to evacuate in the 6 years I have lived here..but our plan is to head to Arkansas if a CAT 3 hurricane is coming toward us and Gracie would certainly be with us. I know that a few years ago when we had Hur. Allison and all the flooding there were many many people who were unable to leave til it was too late..and then could not take their pets..they had to stay in neighboring hotels and were told NO PETS...this was not from storms but from flooding and they had water in their homes..we were one of the ONLY subdivisions that did not flood..so we didn't have to leave..but no one could go anywhere for about 3 days. They had boats out on the streets looking for pets and taking them to shelters..

I agree with you Kay thats why when we flooded 14 years ago we had a 8yr boy ,9yr girl, 2 hamsters, 2cats, and a cocker,also a newfy in a ten ft trailer fro a week. Oh yea 2 adults too. Leave pets behind NO WAY!!!!

What a horrible choice to have to make, and a terribly difficult situation to be in.

If at ALL possible, of course I would take my pets ... even if it was difficult or inconvenient. That's part of being a responsible pet owner.

However ... if it became a life or death situation, I would choose my life and the life of my human family over the life of animals. If the only two choices were to either leave my pets behind or to stay with them and probably die ... I would leave them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I understand where you all are coming from and thanks for your input.

I don't think my parents could even think about leaving our dogs behind, so i'm probably safe as to choosing between them.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Kay, My philosophy is; if wherever I would have to go doesn't accept my dogs, then I'm not going. I put Daisy and Delilah in the same category as myself. We will stay together no matter what. It is so heartbreaking to see people fleeing without their pets.

Terry

We don't get emergencies like that in WI but it does disgust me how quickly some people leve them behind. There are a lot of hotels that will take pets and some that don't will make exceptions in an emergency situation. Also, if you are driving to an area out of the emergency zone, why not take yor pet on the drive and drop them off at a kennel in a safe area. That way you don't have to find a hotel that accepts them. There are so many alternatives to leaving them behind that I don't see a person being in such a bind that they must leave them.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I'm with you, Kay. If I couldn't stay in a hotel with the kids, then I guess I'd be staying in a rest area on the highway with them. Or I'd drive until I could find a hotel that would accept them, no matter how many hours I had to drive to find one.

There's NO WAY I could leave them behind, in any circumstance. No way.

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    If the only two choices were to either leave my pets behind or to stay with them and probably die ... I would leave them.

I could never do that. I would die with them before I would leave them. I am responsible for their lives and they trust me to not abandon them and leave them to die. There is no way in this worl would I leave them. I could never live with myself knowing I left them scared and alone to die when they trusted me. NEVER I COULD NOT DO IT !!!!

Would you leave your child behind? Well to me those animals are just as dependent on you and therefore they are your children. Why leave them behind?

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Kayann,

To me, if it came down to where I had nowhere to go with my animals there's no way in heck i'd leave. If they have to stay, i'm staying with them.
    I'm with you!!! If I can't bring my furkids with me, I go NOWHERE!!! They'd have to take me out in handcuffs first!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by micki76
    I'm with you, Kay. If I couldn't stay in a hotel with the kids, then I guess I'd be staying in a rest area on the highway with them. Or I'd drive until I could find a hotel that would accept them, no matter how many hours I had to drive to find one.

There's NO WAY I could leave them behind, in any circumstance. No way.

Ditto that here. I believe their chances would be much better
    with me, than without.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I would never leave my furkids behind. Even if we had to stay in the truck! My biggest fear is evacuation in case of a train derailment (we live between two tracks) And my biggest fear there is not being home if it happens.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla