Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sasha Begins Chemotherapy On Monday!

Blog Entries

Sasha Begins Chemotherapy On Monday!

This is KatMa AKA Susan who is the human Mom of Sasha the Cat. Her Paw-Paw AKA Murray and I are beside ourselves with worry as our little darling begins chemotherapy on Monday. Sasha has Feline Lymphoma.

Sasha was an abandoned kitty who cried all of the long, cold Montreal Winter of 1995. I searched and called but could not find her. Then in May of 1995 she heard me talking to a neighbour and came bounding across the street! I was so frightened--she could have been hit by a car.

Sasha jumped on my lap, gave me her lovely pussycat smile and started to purr. I was in love. July 18th that year Sasha had five beautiful kittens. We, with a neighbour, took care of her. She "boarded" with her babies at the neighbour's home. The neighbour built a safe place under the balcony for them and I fed her and got medical attention for Sasha & her babies. Later I found forever homes for her five kittens; when they were 8 weeks old, they went to forever homes. The neighbour and I shared Sasha; I had a key to her garage where Sasha slept at night in the laundy room. The Winter of 1995-96 she stayed indoors in the laundry room.

That January I had pneumonia and Murray went over every morning and night to feed her and spend time with her. He fell in love. These living arrangements worked fine right up until June 1996 when some bratty boys tried to steal her. That was when I realized my husband, Murray was 'in love' with her. He brought her into the house and said "that's it; she's an inside kitty now"

Although Murray and I lived with my dog and my three cats -- he never had a cat and was afraid of them. When Murray and I began seeing each other in 1984, he had his dog, Chuckie and I had my dog, Bobby. On September 21st 1985 my kitten Tiggy [whom I call The Best Cat in the Universe] came into my home. Tiggy was the birthday gift to my son, Mark who wanted a cat. Tiggy arrived exactly one week before Mark's 11th birthday. Later Princess joined us and then Paddy Paws, a lost cat found by Bobby the Dog. Paddy was about 4 when Bobby found him Labour Day 1986--now Mark and I had one dog and three cats! Murray and I were 'an item' and we knew it was just a matter of time before all of us would be a 'blended' family.

Sadly, Paddy Paws had acute renal failure in January 1996 and it was so quick that he died two days later on January 16th. I was stunned and could not function. That very same year on September 9th, Bobby the Dog who was 17-1/2 years old went to Rainbow's Bridge to be with Chucky and Paddy-Paws. It was so, so hard that year.

Sasha was a big, bright ray of sunshine in our lives. Tiggy didn't think so. Princess wasn't sure of this interloper either. Tiggy and Sasha never became friends. She had known hard times as an abandoned cat -- dogs and other cats were enemies. Bobby tried no end to win her over but Sasha just could not trust another cat let alone a DOG! Princess liked to stay away from the cats but she loved Bobby the Dog. Princess loved her people too...but not her cat siblings!

My darling Tiggy went to Rainbow's Bridge on September 5, 2000 -- shortly after his 15th birthday which was on August 17th 2000. I still mourn him -- the cat who absolutely stole my heart. He was a wee five-week old kitten when he captured me; he thought I was his Mommy. To our great sorrow Princess [who was one year younger than Tiggy] went to find Tiggy, Bobby, Chuckie and Paddy-Paws on October 4th 2001.

Our Sasha, whom we just adore, will begin taking the drug Chlorambucil AKA Leukeran® GlaxoSmithKline. She will have one dosage beginning Monday every second day for a total of 12 doses. According to her doctor and the consulting oncologist cats tolerate chemo very well [apparently better than humans] and this particular course of chemo is well tolerated by domestic felines. We hope they are right and that our little girl will go into remission.

Pet Lovers in this Forum -- please focus or pray for our darling Sasha and for Murray and I to be strong for her. Thank you.

Sasha, February 2005 taken by my sister, Carol

Susan, Sasha's KatMa
    Last edited by sasha the cat; 06-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Felix (Maine Coon Cat) & Norman (Marbled Bengal Tabby Cat)

KatMa says:
    "Angels are sent to purrsons, dressed up as Cats" and
    ~Life without Cats is NOT a life at all!~
    Original cat quotations(c)Susan Elizabeth Dykhuis

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit -Kahlil Gibran

Sasha the Queen Calico
    b. 8 May 1994 - d. 29 August 2005

Our most purrecious little girl, we love you fur~ever.

Bobby the Dog, cats Tiggy [TBCU], Princess and Paddy-Paws, and Chucky the Dog are showing you the ropes at RB. Kisses and hugs to all of our darlings from your KatMa & Paw-Paw.

Calico Cat Atavar by: Glenda Moore

Sasha has such sad eyes. lots and lots of prayers, positive thoughts and healing vibes coming from Ontario. We have all fingers, toes, whiskers and paws crossed for you Sasha to go into remission and begin to get well.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Mon Dieu, aide s'il vous plais Sasha, le chat de reine du Québec.

Sasha is in our prayers, God understands all languages, sa petite Sasha, bon chance de vous!

Ask your Vet about

incorporating Doxorubicin, Elspar, and Vincristine into the protocol, rather than relying on Leukeran alone.

Be on the look out for secondary bacterial infections after the treatments begin. Also inquire as to supportive drugs that can be used such as acid blockers and anti-nausea drugs.

I hope Sasha does extremely well with her treatment, and suffers no side effects, and that she will indeed go into remission and have many wonderful years left with you, thank you for sharing such a beautiful story, I was saddened to read about Sasha's condition, but wish her well and hugs to you both, this is a tough time ahead for you all, but the power of PT is with you and hopefully can work yet another miracle, along with a little help from you know who.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm so sorry to hear about Sasha. I hope that the chemo will work for her and put her in remission so she'll have many more happy and healthy years ahead of her. Please keep us updated.

I am so sorry to hear about Sasha. You must be heartbroken.

I hope the chemo helps her to go in remission and to stay with you for many years.

I'm sorry about Sasha. I have had two cats with cancer. Smokey the Elder's chemo was doxorubicin and thalidomide(!). This bought her almost a year with a very aggressive cancer which would have killed her in six weeks.

Pink Nose recently finished four rounds of mitoxantrone, for a tumor in his ear canal. In August he goes for a follow-up ultrasound.

Sasha's therapy must be quite mild, since it is so frequent.

My sample of two supports the idea that cats tolerate chemo quite well. Pink Nose didn't even lose his whiskers!

Pink Nose sends head bumpies and purrs and tells Sasha to be good for the doctor. He was such a good patient he has a fan club at the oncologists'!

This pic is Pink Nose after his last chemo, showing off his stylish green bandage and full set of whiskers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Oh, and tell Sasha I know several cancer survivors, albeit human ones, so to keep her spirits up, as this is not always a death sentance even though that's what people think.

Bonjour Sasha!

Hi pretty Sasha! Lots and lots of good thoughts and prayers being sent to you and your KatMa and PawPaw! We hope that the chemo is succesful and that you will go into remission and have many, many more healthy and happy years ahead of you. Please keep us posted.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Sasha is such a pretty cat. She & you will be in my prayers
    for a remission of this illness. She certainly deserves a long
    and happy life.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm sorry to hear that Sasha needs this treatment, but I have heard that animals tolerate it better then we do. I hope that proves to be the case for Sasha. She is such a lovely girl and we don't see enough of her. Please let us know how she is getting on.

The girls will be keeping their paws crossed.

Blog Entries

our little girl, SASHA

SASHA had her first chemo treatment this morning at 9:15 a.m. ET today. We have all of our fingers and toes crossed as do all of our family and friends and all the pets in our extended family have their paws crossed too.

Sasha is busy scratching her chair right now. She seems fine but it is only 9:54 a.m. ET and so far, Sasha is having no reaction to the chemo. Thank goodness for that!

Thank you, the people and pets in this Forum, for your kindness and caring -- and for the treatment advice. I printed out those tips and after Sasha's third chemo session we will discuss this with her doctors.

Susan & Murray AKA Katma & Paw-Paw

Felix (Maine Coon Cat) & Norman (Marbled Bengal Tabby Cat)

KatMa says:
    "Angels are sent to purrsons, dressed up as Cats" and
    ~Life without Cats is NOT a life at all!~
    Original cat quotations(c)Susan Elizabeth Dykhuis

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit -Kahlil Gibran

Sasha the Queen Calico
    b. 8 May 1994 - d. 29 August 2005

Our most purrecious little girl, we love you fur~ever.

Bobby the Dog, cats Tiggy [TBCU], Princess and Paddy-Paws, and Chucky the Dog are showing you the ropes at RB. Kisses and hugs to all of our darlings from your KatMa & Paw-Paw.

Calico Cat Atavar by: Glenda Moore

Your mailbox is full.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I missed seeing this BEFORE her first treatment, but the prayers for Sashs are still coming. She is a lovely cat! Please allow this treatment to help this special, little girl.