Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owner v. Vet

Owner v. Vet

Hi everyone! There was a story on our local news last night that I find upsetting. About ten months ago a man rescued two cats that were in pretty bad shape. He took both in, nursed them back to health, and gave them a furever home. One of the kittys, Doyle, fell off a banister and broke her leg. The owner took her right to a vet who did x-rays and casted poor Doyle's leg. When presented a bill for $405 the owner explained that he didn't have the money right then but would have it by the end of the month. The vet REFUSED to return Doyle saying unless the full amount is paid, Doyle will either be given to another family or PUT TO SLEEP! The owner offered to pay half with the balance to be paid when he gets the money later this month. Again they refused, all or nothing. The news crew interviewed the vet about this. The vet said this is their policy. Vet said over the years he has had to absorb over $200,000 in unpaid fees and can't meet his operating expenses. When asked if a payment plan couldn't be worked out, the vet again refused saying when he has done this in the past the fees were never paid. Because the vet won't budge on this, Doyle remains in the vet's office and the owner is beside himself between missing his beloved Doyle and not knowing what Doyle's future may be. It seems to me that the vet is being a bit unreasonable about this and he's also being cruel by not allowing Doyle to return to her furever home to recover.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

That is terrible!!! How very upsetting. That doesn't seem fair at all. Is there anything that can be done. Many times the publicity created will start donations flowing, I certainly hope that is the case. Whatever it takes to get Doyle home to her furrever home where she can be loved and will heal surrounded by the comfort of her family. Please PM me if there is such a fund that is set up, I would be willing to contribute.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

How awful! When my Cally was suffering my vet was amazing. She had to have daily injections and he only charged me for those, never for his consultation time. Surely the welfare of the animal has to come first
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Owner v. Vet

Hi, Furrykidsmother. I'm going to try and find out if there's some way to get Doyle home where she belongs. What makes me so angry is this gentleman rescued Doyle and her sister and brought them back to health. I'm thinking seriously about posting the name of this vet as a warning to any PT folks in that area. If word gets out and the number of patients declines maybe that will result in a change to this unreasonable policy. I'll update as soon as I learn more.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    If it's the vet's policy, it's the vet's policy. The owner should have asked about that prior to dropping the cat off. I realize that it was an emergency, but, still....he had to know it was going to cost a bit of money. I don't blame the vet, especially if he's really had to deal with that much money not being paid in the past. But, if the news did cover it, that vet will probably suffer from people not going to his practice. I wouldn't go to a vet with a policy like that, anyway. Not as my regular vet. I hope that the guy is either able to borrow money to pay for it, or that Doyle stays in the clinic long enough where he can pay for it at the end of the month. I hope they don't euthanize him, that's inappropriate, to say the very least. I wonder why the news people aren't paying for it, man, that would make headlines and talk about making the vet look like a jackass! They should do what news channels have done in the past, and, have a donations thing going.....that's not that much money, they could probably raise it pretty quickly by telling the story of Doyle. I feel badly for the guy and for Doyle, but, I understand the vet being a stickler for his policies. I hope it all works out, one way or another, and, Doyle doesn't get euthanized. Is there a site for the news station or anything?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

It is very sad and although it is difficult you have to understand where they are coming from too.

When I worked at a vets office we had SO MANY people that said they would pay & never did. It all adds up & fast. Within one year we had over 15,000 owed to us that was never paid back. Thats a lot of money, especially for one year. If this were to continue they would have to start paying for everything out of their own pocket & sonner or later there would be no vet left, they would be bankrupt. Would you like to work for free, or actually would you like to pay for others problems?

Its VERY sad that the animals have to suffer due to the owners fault and it is also sad that you can't find help without any money. But its better than having no vets at all.

That is why it is best to find a vet & stick with them. Show that are a caring, trustworthy individual. Pay on time, keep your pets UTD on vaccines etc.... then you build a relationship with your vet & you would probable be allowed to charge in case of an emergancy.

A lot of human hospitals are doing the same too. No money no service. It sucks but it is understandable.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

All the vets around here have the same policy -- its printed a hundred different ways and plastered all over the office. However, I'd think that good sense dictates that if someone is making a big stink over this AND getting the news involved that you'd make a one-time deal.... because the $400 he might loose over this poor cat's broken leg is nothing compared to the thousands he'll lose over people leaving his practice because they see him as an uncaring, money hungry man.

Originally posted by catnapper
    because the $400 he might loose over this poor cat's broken leg is nothing compared to the thousands he'll lose over people leaving his practice because they see him as an uncaring, money hungry man.
    I know, that's what I was thinking. He's going to lose a lot of future patients and maybe even some of the ones he already has.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Although I can understand the vet's concern about not being paid, I also understand the kitty owner's plight too.

Why the vet didn't type up a promissory note or contract stating this guy would pay the balance on a certain date is beyond me. Some vets are only concerned about money, and it's sad.

When I was in Connecticut, I took my cats to the Colchester Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Berard is a wonderful man who's concern is for the animals, not the money.

My cat Marina Mar (RB, 2001) was very sick and racked up a very big bill. He knew I didn't have it and allowed me to make payments on it. It's too bad more vets weren't like this.

As for the guy, I would've staged a sit-in until I got Doyle back. He was smart though. The media can be a very powerful tool!

BRING DOYLE HOME!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    I also understand the kitty owner's plight too.

Some vets are only concerned about money, and it's sad.

He knew I didn't have it and allowed me to make payments on it. It's too bad more vets weren't like this.
    I see the owner's plight too. I can see both sides of it. I wouldn't say this vet is only concerned about the money, because I don't know his past, or his financial state or the future of his clinic. It seems like in order for him to even stay open, he has to have this policy in place, no exceptions. it sucks for the pet owners, but, hopefully, there are other vets in the area that aren't as strict. My vet in Texas never had a problem with me having a balance. But, as someone mentioned, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that Dr. Ballard knew us well and knew we were "good for the money." When I left Texas, I'd been taking my pets to her for eight years. When I had Bruno put to sleep, I wasn't able to pay for everything up front. I think I owed $50 on his urn or something like that. Again, though, from the sound of it, this vet wouldn't be able to stay open if he kept letting people "pay later." It sounds like his clinic is going to go under, though. Especially if this is all over the local news. I know I wouldn't go to that vet. I still haven't found a vet, yet, for Finn, but, when I do, that whole thing will certainly be a deciding factor. It's too bad that owner wasn't able or didn't do that ahead of time for his kittens.

That is really sad, But I see it like this had it been a child taken to the E.R. the hospital would not have kept the child until payment in full was made. I feel the same should apply here. Accidents do happen and Doyle nor Daddy had any control. When faced with an Emergency like that who takes time to find out if the Dr. will accept payments. All you know is that one of your babies is hurt and needs help. I feel that the Dr. is not very paw friendly and I would definately go public with my pleas. I hope that Doyle comes home quickly where he will recv the love he needs to help him recover. If I knew the Vet's email I would give him a peice of my paw loving mind.

Po'ed in Texas
    Shell's Angels

Don't vets get to count losses like this on their taxes? Isn't there a benefit there??
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

MY VET,TOLD ME,THAT A LOT,OF PEOPLE BRING A VERY ILL PET,IN,AND TELL HIM,TO DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES.
    BUT THEN,IF THE PET PASSES AWAY,THEY WILL NOT PAY,AS THEY ARE NOT GETTING,THIER COMPANION BACK.
    AND IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE,TO GET THE MONEY BACK.
    THATS WHY,I HAVE AN ACCOUNT,FOR EMERGENCIES,SO THERE WILL BE MONEY,FOR THE FOUND CATS HELTH ISSUES,AND I HOPE,AND PRAY,THAT THIS AMTTER CAN BE RESOLVED,AND THAT POOR CAT,CAN GO HOME.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I can see why the vet would want to be paid but I think having poor Doyle PTS if the balance isnt paid is absurd!! How would that pay for the bill? Doesn't euthenasa cost money? If my cat was PTS because I didn't pay I would make sure that the jerk wouldn never see one red cent! Would you have a kid PTS if the parents couldn't pay for the ER bill?

There are collections procedures any place of business can implement to be assured that they are paid. None of them involve taking an innocent life.

I work at a pet boarding facility and we have the same policy. There had been times that the owner would pick up their pet and ask to make payments on it, or pay it on by a certain date. Doing that there were times we didn't get our money. Our policy now is that we have to be paid in full before the pet is returned to it's owner. The difference is most people plan in advance to bring their pets to us, unlike a vet's office that has a lot of emergencies. My avian vet doesn't even accept checks because it's such a hassle for them if they bounce. I've had to deal with that too, believe me it's a pain.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla