Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A day at the track!

Originally posted by GreyhoundDaddy
    I live in San Diego, and while greyhound racing for some stupid reason is illegal here in CA, there's a track down in Mexico that's a 10 minute cabride from the border called "Caliente".

Good for California. and the other 33 states that ban racing
    for profit.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have to put my opinion in here. I care about the greyhounds and the heat is hot and I don't think it's fair to the dogs. I am anti-racing because I have strong feelings on this subject and that's all I am going to say.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Originally posted by lizbud
    Good for California. and the other 33 states that ban racing
    for profit.
    I agree.

GD, I realize how hard it is to constantly face the charges of cruelty and other accusations, especially when I know how deeply you love your girl and the breed and seeing them do what they were bred to do, but I still feel blowing up and getting angry won't help people see the other side. I personally learned a lot and thought about it all a lot when Martin (jcsperson) took the time to really give out facts from the other side of the issue and addressed a lot of things directly that organizations like greyhounds.org presents. Until then, I had heard, read, and saw (on television) one side consistently all while I grew up, and I fully admit I was quite biased against the whole thing. There are things I am still against, however it is more specific to those who do things wrong and irresponsibly rather than generalizing and targeting the whole organization.

I guess one of the strongest factors for me is it would break my heart to see the pure line of performance hounds die out, and only leave us with the horribly inbred AKC bred hounds. There are horror stories with anything involving animals and humans. I wouldn't want to see all breeding outlawed because of puppymill breeders, for example. There are people who are campaigning to ban the Iditarod race too, claiming it is inhumane, cruel, that dogs are bred and destroyed if they don't make the cut, etc. But we have mushers here who give us views from the other side too. Just some things to keep in mind.

I think it's unfortunate that this beautiful picture thread was turned into a debate, when it wasn't intended to do so. GD just wanted to share the beauty of the racers.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by luvofallhorses
    I have to put my opinion in here. I care about the greyhounds and the heat is hot and I don't think it's fair to the dogs. I am anti-racing because I have strong feelings on this subject and that's all I am going to say.
    I doubt you've ever been to a track.. so what do you base your 'caring' on?

Do you feel the same about horseracign as well?

Now, how bout you AR zealots back off and admire the pics. Nobody asked for
    1. you to open the thread or
    2. for your opinion

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by GreyhoundDaddy
    How about you anti-racing zealots stick to the subject. You don't know a damn thing about the industry other than what people tell you.
    Ya know, I was about to post how I was disappointed that this thread couldn't stay on track. I knew there was no way this could just be about the nice photos. It's a relatively predictable site when it comes to things like this. But, then I read what you posted in response. Instead of educating people you're claiming to be uneducated, you just basically did the same thing they're doing. Name calling. Some of the people in here that are against racing may be against it because it's what they've been told to be against. But, there are some that have educated themselves, and, have seen the ugly side of racing. It is narrow-minded to only see one side of the coin, you're right about that. But, it's also narrow-minded to assume that just because someone is against something that you love, it's only because of what they've heard through the media.

I was really hoping that this wouldn't go this way, and, I was honestly disappointed to see that it had veered off track. But, the title of the thread is apparent. I was hoping that people would just ignore the thread if they were against racing. But, I was also hoping that the poster would be able to coolly and pleasantly handle the negative posts that were inevitably going to pop up. Anyway, I'm bummed that I didn't get to say exactly what I had planned. C'est la vie.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Very well said, Kari.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Sorry if my opinion offended anyone It wasn't my intention.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

-sigh-

Jessica, Kari.. your posts were very well-said and thank you for keeping your cool. I wish everyone were capable of that.

While I had admired the photos, I stayed away because I knew that someone was going to disagree and in return get lashed at.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Amazing pictures!!! THose dogs are gorgeous!

Be nice, everyone.

This the same stuff Glacier gets when she posts her sled dogs. People these animals were created for their jobs if they don't do it they get bored. I agree there are abuses just as in any thing including owning pets(collectors) . It's fine to say if you agree or disagree but remember it's the bad ones not our family here. Plus before answering please please do home work more than one web site get a balanced veiw.

Originally posted by Corinna
    This the same stuff Glacier gets when she posts her sled dogs. People these animals were created for their jobs if they don't do it they get bored. I agree there are abuses just as in any thing including owning pets(collectors) . It's fine to say if you agree or disagree but remember it's the bad ones not our family here. Plus before answering please please do home work more than one web site get a balanced veiw.
    Thank you. Comments made on photos do not need to reflect *your* personal opinions. If you like the photos and the subject, say you like it- nothing more is needed. A simple "" can and does suffice.

Personally, I love GD's pictures and I think they represent the beauty of Greyhounds. Thank you for sharing (but I have a feeling I'll see this same thread of GT, eh?).

Nah.. this was an old post there that I slapped on here... I dont think they'll be getting anymore more of my money or pics

Originally posted by Giselle
    Thank you. Comments made on photos do not need to reflect *your* personal opinions. If you like the photos and the subject, say you like it- nothing more is needed. A simple "" can and does suffice.

I was not commenting on photos of racing dogs, but wanted
    to put a finer point on the opinion expressed about Cal.
    outlawing professional dog racing. He expressed an opinion and
    stated a fact & so did I. That's when he lost his cool and posted
    something he's since deleted. That's it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt