Thread: movies you watched today

Jesus Christ Superstar w/Ted Neeley, Yvonne Elliman and Carl Anderson. I saw Neeley's performance this past Saturday in Cleveland for his farewell tour. The man is more powerful now than he was when the movie was made in '72. Not too many singers move me but he did and he brought me to tears. His scene in the temple when Jesus threw out the money changers brought down the house, also his scene in the Garden of Gethsemane. He's 67 now and he still sings as though he's 28. Powerful, powerful man.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    please don't think I'm trying to be a smarta**, but what made you think it would be so horrible? Are you not a Tim Burton fan? Not an Alice in Wonderland fan? And, again, I'm genuinely curious, why would you go to a movie if you expected it to suck?!

with all that being said, I'm glad it didn't live up to your expectations! I loved it!
    Well, considering what I had heard from some friends who saw it the first night said it royally sucked, I was expecting it to. I was a fan of the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland when I was little, and although I haven't seen it in YEARS and know it was based off completely different books, I didn't think it would live up to that one. I wanted to see it for myself, and get to judge it on my own rather then listen to people. Why did I go? Well, I just wanted to see if it was as good as the disney version, 'cause to me that was a great movie. But I generally see movies which I expect to suck, because

1.) I loved the first one and it's a sequel. [like POTC for example, the 3rd one SUCKED and lthough I expected it to, I ws excited to see it since I loved the first 2]
    2.) Good Actors/Actresses are in it.
    3.) Maybe it won't be as bad as I think lol

Tim Burton, well he definitely is not my favorite director. I didn't like some of his movies - especially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I also thought Corpse Bride was really dumb, and Batman forever sucked. James and the Giant peach, well no comment. I loved Sweeney Todd and Edward Scissorhands to. Alice in Wonderland was good as well, and so was Batman (original) and Batman returns. It seems weird how I love all his films that star Johnny Depp, that's the only reason I watch tb movies mostly. So, I guess you could say I don't 'love' Tim Burton either. I have never seen his "masterpiece" as a lot of people call it - The Nightmare Before Christmas. I think I would like it though.

Sorry, I made this explaination waayyyyyyy too long xD

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I wanted to see Valentine's Day. That's more my speed, and it wasn't Rated R, so the kids could have seen it too (the one girl did want to see it, but wanted to watch Alice more... and her dad didn't want them in the theatre all by themselves, so we all went to the same movie).
    I LOVED Valentine's Day, I saw it on Friday. I thought it was so cute. It was unessicarily long though. Bradely Cooper was so cute in it, especially at the end. But overall, a very cute movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawsitive Thinking View Post
    How long was it until Helena Bonham Carter appeared on the screen? always a fun game with a Tim Burton film......
    Meow.

I went to see Alice last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Loved the Cheshire Cat, and the March Hare who made me giggle a lot.

Johnny plays the Mad Hatter magnificently. I did notice a couple traces of Jack and one of Sweeney in there but other than that he has made a wonderful new characterisation for us.

I thought Mia Wasikowska (Alice), Helena Bonham Carter(Red Queen) and Crispin Glover (Knave of Hearts) played their roles with equal excellence but was a little disappointed with Anne Hathaway's performance as the White Queen.

It was the first time I had viewed a film in 3D and that part wasn't quite as good as I had expected, but, having said that, it still added to the enjoyment for me. Will I go to see it again? Oh, yes, if I get the chance and can afford it.

For anyone who didn't quite understand some of the language used and would like to there is a glossary here and a link to the complete Jabberwocky poem here

My Melissa saw it in 3D too and really enjoyed it, she thought J Depp was fantastic in his role, but then he always is really isn't he? well for the most part anyhow.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysser
    Tim Burton, well he definitely is not my favorite director. I didn't like some of his movies - especially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I also thought Corpse Bride was really dumb, and Batman forever sucked. James and the Giant peach, well no comment. I loved Sweeney Todd and Edward Scissorhands to. Alice in Wonderland was good as well, and so was Batman (original) and Batman returns.

Sorry, I made this explaination waayyyyyyy too long xD
    No, not to long at all! I agree with you on Batman Forever, but Tim Burton didn't direct it. Just the first two. I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it was much truer to the the book than the original Gene Wilder version, although I like that one, too. I read James...Peach, too and really enjoyed the movie. I don't remember tons about Corpse Bride, but I remember liking it. I don't think I've ever watched one of his films and hated it although some I like more than others. Edward scissorhands may always remain my favorite.

I love the Alice Kingsleigh books and have liked the four or five different versions that I've seen, although I know there are several more! It's hard to compare them, even though I have my favorites. The books are all about imagination and the impossible, so there are really no boundaries to what can be done with the characters!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Towelhead-
    I came across this movie and didn't bother because of the title. I was flipping thru the channels and saw that Aaron Eckhart was in it...I like him in the Batman flick and began to watch this movie.

I had to go back and watch it from the beginning. WOW, it wasn't a run-of-the-mill movie about 'teens', it had a bunch of "-isms" that were worked into the script. A well done, thought provoking movie.

LOL, I wanted to beat the crap out of most of the males in the flick.

Not a kiddie movie....A++++.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    It was the first time I had viewed a film in 3D and that part wasn't quite as good as I had expected, but, having said that, it still added to the enjoyment for me.
    Loved "Alice"!! Saw it last weekend. But I love this sort of thing anyway. And I usually like what Tim Burton does. "Nightmare Before Christmas" is one of my favorites.

Anyways, "Alice" wasn't the best example of a film to watch in 3-D. I think it would be just fine without it. I saw it in 3-D, i-Max on that huge screen and that was fun, but it would work on my little TV screen as well. I think movies need to be filmed with a 3-D camera for it to really work well.

Helena B-C was freakin' hysterical in her role as the Red Queen! Loved the giant head!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Catherinedana View Post
    ... "Alice" wasn't the best example of a film to watch in 3-D. I think it would be just fine without it. I saw it in 3-D, i-Max on that huge screen and that was fun, but it would work on my little TV screen as well.
    Yes, I'm really looking forward to the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Towelhead-
    I came across this movie and didn't bother because of the title. I was flipping thru the channels and saw that Aaron Eckhart was in it...I like him in the Batman flick and began to watch this movie.

I had to go back and watch it from the beginning. WOW, it wasn't a run-of-the-mill movie about 'teens', it had a bunch of "-isms" that were worked into the script. A well done, thought provoking movie.

LOL, I wanted to beat the crap out of most of the males in the flick.

Not a kiddie movie....A++++.
    I really like Aaron Echkhart, good actor, so I'll keep a sharp eye out for that film, thanks Richard.

I finally got my hands on Withnail & I. It was slightly different to what I expected, but an instant favourite anyway!

Niño & Eliza

Going to watch my sisters Keeper on DVD tonight ,have read the book and loved it, and also scored some free tickets to see Law Abiding Citizens, will review both when i have seen them.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I really like Aaron Echkhart, good actor, so I'll keep a sharp eye out for that film, thanks Richard.
    Most of the BEST movies that I have seen lately are small productions that 'supporting' actors star in-all the actors in this movie gave slam-bang performances.

The gal that played the lead was so young looking that I GOT CREEPED out about her doing the movie!

AE's character made me yell at the screen-LOL, A good thing for an actor?

I love it when I get immersed in a flick and end up talking/yelling/cursing at the characters...I hate them until the movie ends, then I love them for getting me mad and entertaining me...

You really have to be there.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Anyone seen Green Zone yet, with Matt Damon? My brother is in it, or at least I think he is - unless his part wound up on the cutting room floor. I only want to see it if he's in it, otherwise it's just not my type of movie. He played a soldier, and all he says is "I don't know, sir". hehe, let me know if you happen to see it..

Green Zone
    Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, United 93) Their latest electrifying thriller does not measure up to the last two Bourne Movies. There is action from start to finish but the action got blurred and was not believable in spots. Although I agree with the idea behind the movie it did not ring true, as it seems all Iraqi themed movies miss their mark.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown