Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: movies you watched today

I watched the Wizard of OZ and part of how they made it. I love the classics!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by furrykidsmother
    I watched the Wizard of OZ and part of how they made it. I love the classics!
    So, do I! That movie is amazing, it was probably one of the scariest movies to me growing up. The witch on the bike and changing into the broom at the very beginning still creeps me out! And, the flying monkeys! Scary!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

3. LOL! FINDING NEMO!

*Living with the Hillbillies* Southern West Virginia
    We watched

Navy Seals and Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again
    ~Tina~

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
    FINDING NEMO!
    That movie is so good! I cry every time!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

We went to the drive-in with my nieces and saw the Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl...Ok for a kid a guess but I didn't care for it. The movie after that was the Longest Yard (Adam Sandler & Chris Rock). Thank one was funny

I watched Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within this weekend. I absolutely LOVE the computer imagery and can watch it a thousand times for that alone! The plot kind of irrtates me just because it portrays another Squaresoft (or Square Enix as they like to be called now ) game, Secret of Mana, a lot more than it portrays Final Fantasy, but most people don't catch that.

I also watched Joe's Apartment (one of the funniest movies ever I think) and part of Segourney Weavers (sp?) Snow White (Creepy to the max!)

Usually I love a good thriller or comedy. I don't think I've seen a thriller for a while, at least not that I can think of...

We went and saw "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" yesterday. I was majorily disappointed. Everything I'd read, claimed that finally Lucas had come close to recapturing the magic of "Empire Strikes Back". Not even close. I should have known better, seeings how it was still pretty much the same actors as the previous 2 Star Wars.

Blah actors with no charisma. Sci Fi needs actors with bigger then life personalities. Pretty bad when a puppet and 2 machines have more screen presence then their human counterparts and envoke more emotion and caring from the viewer.

Course the dialogue didn't help'em any. No memorable quotes. Too much standing around and just talking about what's happening and going to happening. Show us, don't tell us.

Female character that is pointless to the story. Her only value add to the story was being pregnant. Major step back from Leia, who could hold her own in any action sequence and was a very integral part of the story.

Forced Love story. I could care less if Skywalker and what's her name (heck she's so blah, I can't even remember what her name is) are together. Never found myself rooting for them, like Han and Leia. Now there's a romance.

Anywho, there's 2+ hours of my life I won't get back, so it gets 2 thumbs down from me.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I kind of expected Revenge of the Sith to be cruddy, Par, as the entire story was sort of explained in episodes 4-6...

Thats why I absolutely refuse to watch it until it comes out for rental...and even then I'll make sure I have a free rental cupon for it!

I actually liked Ewen McGregor as the younger Obi Wan, and I felt like this is the first time that character had convincing emotions of the three. I felt a stirring in his emotional farewell after he had defeated Anakin. The guy who plays Palpatine (forget his name) does a good job portraying a creepy emperor, of course he was in the original movies.

I don't really blame the actors that much, I blame more the script and Lucas's directing.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
    I kind of expected Revenge of the Sith to be cruddy
    I didn't expect a whole lot out of any of the newest three (1-3), either, but, I liked them all. I did get emotionally involved in the third one because of Obi-Wan and Anakin, there at the end. Just seeing them fighting each other was heartbreaking to me. And, it wasn't so much that I'd been drawn in by the new actors, because I wasn't. Just drawing the feelings I have for the older movies and those characters. I thought Ewan Magregor was the only actor in any of the newest three that was any good, really. Well, and Liam Neeson as Quai-Gon (sorry, I think I spelled that incorrectly), I thought he did well. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were a joke, though. And, that's disappointing, as I think Portman is a great actress. I've not seen anything else with Christensen, though. But, George Lucas has always been terrible at dialogue, they don't have a lot to work with. I've enjoyed all of the new ones, but, only because I've avoided comparing them to the ones I grew up with and also because I didn't listen to the hype. I'm glad I saw them all in the theaters, though, because they lose something on the small screen. Especially movies like that, as the largeness of it, is really the only thing it's got going for it.

Originally posted by K9soul
    I actually liked Ewen McGregor as the younger Obi Wan, and I felt like this is the first time that character had convincing emotions of the three. I felt a stirring in his emotional farewell after he had defeated Anakin. The guy who plays Palpatine (forget his name) does a good job portraying a creepy emperor, of course he was in the original movies.

I don't really blame the actors that much, I blame more the script and Lucas's directing.
    We posted at the same time. I agree with mostly everything you said, except for Palpatine. He actually made me laugh a little in the third one, I don't know why. It just came across as hokey to me when he was electrocuted and got Anakin to join him. That whole scene didn't get to me like I'd kinda thought it would. He was, for the most part, though, really creepy. I can't believe it's the same actor as in the original ones, and, I still don't remember his name, either!

I keep trying to analyze why the first 3 worked so well and the last 3 Star Wars haven't. There was a sense of fun and adventure. They really do harken back to the B westerns and swashbuckling movies of the past. Maybe he's taking himself too serious in these last 3, hence why he chose the actors he did and why the scripts are lacking.

Most of these actors I really like. They're quality actors that have been quite good in other venues. But that's the thing, the kind of campy sci fi stuff I like, doesn't necessarily work with the best actor. It needs someone with awesome on screen presence. As an example, Lucy Lawless is a so-so actress at best, but she was incredible as Xena. She really shines in campy material.

I dunno, I think George really lost focus on what made the first three so good.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Kari, your post really expressed how I saw it too. I did actually enjoy Ewen McGregor in the third particularly, somehow his portrayal of Obi-Wan really seemed to fit more this time, that bit of light playfulness to his style, and I did feel touched at the final battle there, like you said not in particular because of the actors but because of the tragedy of the story line, but Obi-Wan's emotions were convincing to me in that scene. I loved Qui-Gon in the first one! Liam Neeson's charisma is so strong, it's too bad he had to die in the first one! I can see how the lightning scene could have struck you as a bit funny/hokey. It didn't really hit me that way at the time but that's because I was so immersed in the story at the time and kind of on the edge of my seat waiting for the carnage to begin, but looking back I can definitely see how it could be almost humorous. I found him most creepy on the sidelines when he was being so sly and playing both sides, slowly gaining power and biding his time.

I actually enjoyed the story line to the whole thing overall, but I was disappointed in the cliche and wooden script. There is only so much actors can do with some of that tripe LOL. From what I understand Lucas does not allow actors to improvise much, he's very stubborn with how he wants things done.

edit: LOL, just reread my post and saw my wording "lightning scene struck you..." I never even thought about the play on words there
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge