Thread: Dog licking my urine? What's up??

Dog licking my urine? What's up??

Okay, I live out in the sticks and end up going pee outside often at night. One time about two years ago I'm peeing and looking up at the stars (I'm out there so the stars are very clear) and I hear a lapping sound. I look down and see my one male alpha dog licking my pee up as I'm going. Freaked me out a little honestly, made me think twice about those kisses anyway! It's happend about 6 times since without me paying attention and if I let him he would do it every time!!!

What gives here? It's a strong dog breed (American Bulldog) so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. He is cut as well??

Please help me understand this...

Hi Desertdog,

I used to witness my mother-in-law's sheltie lick the urine of my dogs when I visited sometimes. From what I understand, wolves, and of course dogs too, lick urine to determine if the other dog who urinated is a female in heat or not. The sheltie when he did this was an unneutered male, and from what I understand it is much more common behavior in unaltered males. It's just an instinctual, mate seeking response. It's not really something you can stop him from doing as he is just following an instinct, but you can simply try to call him away when he's sniffing at it and distract him to try to break the habit.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I also found this old thread with a similar question and a more detailed explanation: http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...?threadid=1018

And another little piece about it: http://www.labridge.com/chow/site/pa...kingurine.html
    Last edited by K9soul; 06-30-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be that and he only does it with me. It's not a tasting kinda thing, he will sit there and lick as long as I would let him. Come off more to me like a submissive thing as in he's saying he knows I'm the alpha.. I don't know though.. There's a dog in heat 10 feet from him right now and he just did it the other day..

>_< sorry, but this just grossed me out. a LOT.

maybe try restraining/leashing or keeping the dogs inside while you use the facilities? xP it does not sound sanitary at all...

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Originally posted by bckrazy
    >_< sorry, but this just grossed me out. a LOT.

Same...

sorry, but this just grossed me out. a LOT.
    ditto....

Q: You have a computer but you don't have a toilet?

S/He said it happened while hiking out in the sticks I believe. Whatever the cause, I highly doubt this is a submissive behavior. I have never heard of this type of thing associated with submission, but often more associated with an increased sex drive. (sorry to be so graphic )
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by bckrazy
    maybe try restraining/leashing or keeping the dogs inside while you use the facilities? xP it does not sound sanitary at all...
    I would suggest this and having him neutered. If the female that's 10 feet away from him and in heat is yours, she should be spayed also to prevent any accidental litters, territorial aggression and sexual frustration in the male. If the female isn't yours, then maybe you could suggest to her owner to have her spayed. Both dogs will be a lot happier, healthier, less frustrated, less dangerous, and a lot of annoying behaviors will be eliminated.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.