Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leika is infected:(

Leika is infected:(

The other day I saw something on Leika's chest. It was something underneath her hair it was kind of a lump and it was red. It got worse so i decided to take her to the vet. When we got there he took a look at her and pulled out a few hairs from her chest were the lump was. He looked at them in the microscope and then told us it is an infection. She has fungus under her skin which makes shed hair which does not grow back again if this is not treated quickly. Fortunately we catched it right on time so we still can save her. He gave us this human cream and i have to put it 2 times a day in the lump with a cotton. The worse is that this is contagious so I must not touch that lump. I hope she gets well.
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

Try not to worry too much, you took Leika immediately to the vet and you said you caught the infection in its early stages so I'm sure she'll get better soon. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

I am so glad you were a diligent mom and got Leika to the vet right away. That fungus sounds much worse than the one Lilly had recently. Lilly's was treated with an oral medication that she took twice per day. We went through two courses to make sure she got rid of it. Lilly's fungus was widespread and she lost much of the hair on her back and tail, but it is slowly coming back. I don't know if she'll ever get back to her normal, curly self, but I'm glad she's not losing anymore. It came off by the handfuls everytime we touched her.
    We will keep a prayer going for Leika. And you, Mary, should definitely wear latex gloves when you are cleaning that spot. You don't need to be getting the fungus too!
    Be careful and love Leika for me.
    Logan

Thank you both. The best thing that this hasn't affected her character. She is still as bouncy and playful as before. i rather not touch her too much, this could get me infected. Don't want to be a bad mum just that I'd be better safe than sorry. Don't worry I always wash my hands after touching her.

I'm so glad you caught it early!! Good luck! I'm sure she's will be back to her normal self shortly!!!

This is scarey stuff - how did Leika get this?

She scratched herself with what don't know, then the fungus got inside her skin. I know it's scary but don't worry they can't die by this, at least my case. It can be very sad to see your dog losing it's hair but when the problem is over it starts to grow back

Fungi usually needs moisture to grow - is this partly because of a moist climate???

don't think so.

Good luck! I hope it clears up soon!

Hope it clears up quickly!!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Oh no, this is getting worse I found one in between her toes. She licks it and then licks something else in her body and then that part gets infected. She has in her chest, mouth, toes, and back! Don't know what to do! No point taking her to the vet again 'cause it's the same problem.

I think you are wrong, Mary. There is a HUGE reason to take her back to the vet, or at least call them. I feel certain that there are oral medications that could help to stop the spread of the fungus. I think you should do anything possible to take care of that problem. Good luck!
    Logan

Hope you can get everything cleared up!

So sorry to hear about your fungus problem! I would go back to the vet again now that you know it is worse, maybe there is a pill that can help? I know for humans with ringworm topical treatment is tried first but pills exist for persistent ringworm.

Perhaps you can ask if there is food that might assist in recovery like yogurt - the l. acidophilus might help the body fight the fungus but I'm totally just guessing. In the meantime you'll just have to be very diligent with the cream and I can imagine that's not easy, how do you tell a dog not to lick certain spots?

Best of luck.