Thread: Average weight for kitten

Average weight for kitten

I'm not sure if it is a goof up on the vets part or what, but Tiki was brought to the vets almost 2 weeks ago for his first check up.
    The vet estimated him to be 11 weeks old & he weighed 1.7lbs. I think she may have said the wrong eight by accident as that does seem awful small but Tiki looks great for his age. The vet did not say anything about him being small for his age, he's not underweight. hmmm

So anyways I was wondering if anyone has any idea an average 12ish week old kitten should weigh?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I just checked the girls vet records and their weight at 12 weeks was: Lilith was 1.9 kgs and Vixen was also 1.9 kgs. I think maybe your vet may have meant Tiki was 1.7 kgs not 1.7 lbs.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I took Angel eyes the other day - she's about 10/11 weeks and weighed 1.5 pounds. At 14 weeks, Flutter weighed exactly 2 pounds.

Both are a little on the thin side because they are picky eaters... unless I put out wet food -- then they eat til their bellies fill up like a balloon! Both are completely healthy and active.

I wouldn't sweat size too much. At the same age, Abby was TINY, and her sibling Harry was HUGE. I'd say he was almost twice her size. As long as he's proportionate, I wouldn't worry.

Yes, and although I heard that about 1 pound per month when they're kittens is "normal", I'm sure that, like human babies, every kitten has a different growth rate, etc.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

My vet told me 1 pound per month when Chester was a baby. At about 12 weeks they are VERY active and work off their calorie intake in no time, that is why it is important to keep them on kitten food during that active time in their life.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Yup, I agree with catnapper and Jayna. Weight varies from kitten to kitten. As long as the kitten is eating properly and bodily functions are all normal, I wouldn't worry.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Thanks everyone!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

SOME KITTENS,LIKE SOME CATS,ARE JUST SMALL,AND I WOULD NOT WORRY,IF YOU VET,WAS NOT CONCERNED.I AM SURE,THAT SOME,OF MY SATS,WERE LIKE THAT,AS THEY ARE BARELY,BIGGER,THAN KITTENS,NOW.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My future kitten Starr is 12 weeks old now and he's only 1 3/4lbs. I also thought that this seemed very little for a male kitten at this age. He eats alot and his foster mom said he's growing longer so this may be the reason. He and a few of the kittens may also have coccidia which they're now being treated for. Would this also cause him not to gain weight?