Thread: great pyrenees

great pyrenees

I have a great pyrenees and I'm wondering about shaving her for the summer. She is an inside dog, but is still so hot and seems so miserable because of the heat. Everything I've read says don't do it, but I can't help wondering if she wouldn't be more comfortable. Does anyone have any comments on shaving a great pyrenees? Thanks!

Some dogs have the double coat that acts like insulation. If you reach under her fur to the skin, is it cool or warm?

To be honest, it doesn't feel warm or cool. She has not lost her undercoat yet. She just seems so miserable, panting all the time. She does stay inside in the air conditioning, lying on the cool floor over the vent. I have had her for one year and take her to the groomers every 6 -8 weeks. I'm pretty sure the next time she goes they'll be able to blow out quite a bit of the undercoat, I just can't help wondering if she'd be more comfortable shaved.

Maybe you could shave her belly? I am afraid that if you shaved her all the way then the guard hairs may not grow back (I really have no idea since I have never owned a long haired dog) or she might get sunburnt.

I LOVE Great pyrs!!! We will definately need pictures of her!!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Originally posted by hobson
    To be honest, it doesn't feel warm or cool. She has not lost her undercoat yet. She just seems so miserable, panting all the time. She does stay inside in the air conditioning, lying on the cool floor over the vent. I have had her for one year and take her to the groomers every 6 -8 weeks. I'm pretty sure the next time she goes they'll be able to blow out quite a bit of the undercoat, I just can't help wondering if she'd be more comfortable shaved.
    I bet a good brushing - do you have what's called a "shedding blade?" will help get rid of the undercoat, and that she's hanging out by the AC is fine. We took our St. Bernard swimming once a day when it was miserably hot out, and if we couldn;t get to the pond, we'd play "attack the hose" in the yard.

Shaving her should not affect the regrowth of the hair. If any dog's hair does not grow back properly after a hair cut the dog should be seen by a vet for an underlying cause. A hair cut does NOT affect growth.

Now, on to the question of should you or shouldn't you...... Personal preference. Since I am a groomer, I have seen many large hairy breeds shaved, and all the owners who have it done continue to have it done because they tell me that their dogs are much more comfortable. The owners tell me that they can see the difference in the activity and comfort level between the hot dog with all the hair (like if you wore your winter coat) and the cool short haired shave down dog. But not all dogs mind the heat.

In order for the "insulation theory of having all that hair" to really WORK as a cooling system, the dog's coat must be THOROUGHLY brushed out. NO shedded hair left in the coat to prevent the air from reaching down to the skin. if you cannot remove all the dead hair then it will form a heat barrier not allowing the skin to breathe properly. This equal HOT!

I warn you though, in order to shave a dog with a coat as thick as a great pyrenese the groomer will need to use a SHORT blade. And a white dog sometimes looks slightly pink. (but fear not, it is not naked, it is just short). So if your white dog spends a whole lot of time outdoors it could sun burn.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I do have her groomed regularly so all of the dead hair is removed when that is done. She just started shedding that huge undercoat so she has a long way to go before it's all gone. Maybe at her next grooming a lot of it will all come out. She just hates going to the groomers soooooo much that I always feel guilty taking her, but it makes such a huge difference. Well, I'm strongly considering having her shaved to at least try it and see if she is much more comfortable. Thanks again everyone for all of your help. It's so nice to get other peoples opinions, especially a groomer!

OMG when u talk about shaving a great perynees (sp?)!! My uncle he has a great pyrneese(sp?) and he shaved her......When he was done she looked like a while lion with a uneven hair cut lol! it was sooo funny he only did her back and not around her neck so it looked like a white lion LOL!!

Perhaps you could consult with your vet. The last thing you want is a sunburnt doggie. And I don't imagine sunscreen would be appreciated.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

do not shave it. it will ruin the hair shaft and the fur will be ruined and bristley. the dog has long hair for a reason, it actually keeps the heat out. shaving it will make the dog hotter because the sun will be able to touch the dogs skin. just because the dog pants doesnt mean its uncomfortable, thats just how they sweat. most groomers wont shave a dog like that.

(personal experence, i work at a groom shop)
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Interesting.....i would of thought that if it was shaved it would be cooler but i guess not.

So dont shave her/him

most groomers wont shave a dog like that.
    Not true. I have groomed for 21 years, and we shave MANY long coated (as well as short coated) dogs down. It is owner preference. And the owners that have it done like the look, the ease of care and the dogs are happy. And the coat should grow back as it had been originally as long as the dog does not have an underlying cause that does not allow for proper regrowth.

You just need to decide what YOU want.

You just need to decide what YOU want.
    I totally agree.