Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The vet and declawing?

The vet and declawing?

Today we took Barclay to the vet to have his new, hot pink Soft Claws put on. (we weren't going to attempt it. )

The vet actually told us he recommends declawing! I couldn't believe it. I don't think I've ever heard a vet try to talk us into doing it before. Most, especially if the cat goes outside, will recommend just the opposite.

My question is have any of you ever had your vet recommend declawing before? Is this rare?

I have had some recommend it if you at at your witts end and the cat is either going back to the kill shelter (even SPCA kills here) or let go outside or get declawed... Declawed is actually better in some peoples mind then the other alternatives. I've even thought seriously about it with my baby (2 years old) Meka as she has been in the past very violent with hubby and me. The furniture is one thing and I don't think that is a reason to declaw but when they are violent to humans it is another. So far the new cat we got and the punishment of putting her in her carrier has been working slowly and declawing is not an option but if we can't cure her of violence we would have to declaw - there is another proceedure I'd check first though and that cuts the tendon in the paw so the cats can't extend their claws so much so not as much damage. Who knows - but with so many cats getting killed here if the cat had to choose between life and declawing in a good home I bet they'd choose declawing.... I dont' like it but as a last resort I can't say I wouldn't do it, who knows. Debbie

i can't imagine any vet recommending declawing....its not natural

Here, declawing is forbidden - so there is one of many nations that has to protect it's furniture and skin without this option.

The first vet I took my kitties to here stated that it was okay to declaw the kitties because "you provide them food, a roof over their heads and the least they can do is give up their claws."
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Uggggh, a lot of them recommend it because its more money for them. It SICKENS me that they would just throw it out there to someone who isn't even complaining of a problem (I assume?) and is already using Soft Paws.

The clinic where I work will NOT do it and will highly discourage it if asked. I did a search once, and found a site that listed places that would not declaw - we were the only place in Austin on there (at least on that site anyway, and that could be outdated or wrong of course).... Ah, I just looked up the site again and they added one in Round Rock. Looks like a cat-only hospital, cool!

If anyone's interested: http://community-2.webtv.net/zuzu22/Vets/

Lists all states.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Unbelievable! I can't imagine a vet recommending that! I am sick. Declawing is forbidden here and considered as a mutilation. But what was the reason the vet gave for Barclay?

Get rid of that vet, and take a new one!! This one $!(x% !!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Here in Michigan, if you look in the yellow pages under Veterinarians, MOST if not all of the vets advertise declawing!! I SO wish the United States would ban that barbaric practice.

Most vets see it as a money maker. Disgusting!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Years ago before I was enlightened I mentioned it to my vet about my rb gigi. She said only if you can guarantee me 100 percent that she will never go outside. I said I can't do that, she may sneak out. I am glad she didn't let me do it....(3 sofas later at least I know I didn't mutilate her )
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

The vet and declawing

When I first got Groucho, I talked to our vet about declawing. She answered all my questions and explained the procedure as well as the after effects. She explained that the claws are their first line of defense should they accidently get out. It was very clear that she does not approve this practice.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I agree with the others here - find a new vet! Declawing is against the law here in California and there's an extra-enforcement local ordinance banning it in San Francisco.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I didn't even know it was illegal in California...
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Mina had to be declawed

The only reason our vet recommended Mina be declawed was because of her paw condition. Her claws were growing back into her front paws causing her a lot of pain and suffering. Otherwise he won't do it because its cruel. For the first six months of her life we were having to dig her claws out of her paws before we could even clip them.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by caseysmom
    I didn't even know it was illegal in California...
    Hmm ... maybe I misspoke .... I DO know it's illegal in San Francisco and Hollywood ... isn't that all of California?

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10