Thread: Question about cell phones

Question about cell phones

I need to get a new phone because I managed to flush mine down the toilet! I was wondering if I buy a used cell phone that is the same model as my carrier sells would I be able to transfer my service onto that phone? Or do I have to buy a phone directly from the company?
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

When hubby lost his, we called the cell provider and explained we lost the phone. They offered us a cool new phone for CHEAP compared to what you'd find in the mall. A plus is that we didn't have to sign a new two year contract like the guys in the mall tried to get us to do too.

PS: I'm not sure if I want to know how you managed to flush a cell phone down the toilet!

I don't know the answer to your question, BUT........

Just HOW did you manage to flush your poor phone down the toilet?

I'm not sure if I want to know how you managed to flush a cell phone down the toilet! [/B]
    LOL it's not that scary of a story. The phone fell out of my pocket while I was reaching over to flush!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I'm with Cingular and I think that my phone has to be compatible with my plan . . . you might just want to look around, if you find something used, get the model number and call your cell service and see if that phone is compatible.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

I kind of did the same thing with my cell, only not the toilet, the washer. I'm with Sprint and I called them, to ask about another phone, they offered to send me a new one, for a few bucks. Till they saw that my contract time was up by 8 months and I had been doing month to month sense then.

Then it was, did you take the replacement ins. out on it, etc etc. So to get a new phone and not have to pay the full price, plus the re-connection fees etc. I had to get a new #, new contract etc, but I got a camera phone, with everything for $20. So I guess it was worth it in the long run. It's not like I can leave Sprint, it the only company that get good service at the house, I'm so far out here.

my dad lost his cell recently, so he called the company, it turned out he was allowed an upgrade and they sent him a cool brand new phone for free, much better too lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

This isn't an answer to your question, but I did LOL at your flushing your phone down the toilet because one of our church members did the same thing about a month or so ago.

Laura,
    I think you'll have to get one from your service provider...they're real wierd about that stuff. When I got my new one last week, I was unable to keep the phone I purchased in December because I switched companies. Kind of sucks...it was a $300 phone.

A good thing is you may be able to get a newer, nicer phone for less money if you extend your contract.

Good luck with that.

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

oiii
    you should have put a warning on this b/c I almost spit my milk on the monitor.
    was it in your shirt pocket? oii

Definately definately definately get a NEW phone from your provider the reconditioned phones are not worth the time and money. My dad had a nice new phone and wanted a flip phone and had to pay out the ying yang and break the contract to get one. It had only been a year they sold him a reconditioned phone and it lasted from December to March - the next one lasted from March to May, the next one was from like May to November when I MADE them go in and upgrade b/c their contract was up.
    He bought at least 2 batteries at $50 a pop. Plus had to pay about $175 b/c the broke the original contract - and about $150 for the additional 2 phones - then they got insurance and the next phone was covered. In addition they drove to 3 different towns to get the same phone duplicated.

They have Verizon - so do I and LOVE the service. They haven't had any other problems. The other problem was they weren't dealing with an actual Verizon store originally. The place they went to b/c it was local to them was a place that dealt with mostly reconditioned phones.

Also not sure who your provider is but think about insurance - it is worth it in cases like this. I pay about $4 extra per month. I know a guy who lost his in the lake and it was replaced no questions asked.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..