Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Old Cats

In Praise of Old Cats

I just lost my best boy at 16 and now I'm left with four sweet old boys ranging from 14-15, two sets of tabby brothers. I have to say they are so loving and so sweet I wouldn't trade them at this point for kittens. This is a wonderful stage in their life and I'm so glad I can appreciate it and certainly hope others do to.

Enjoy every moment that you have with them! Life is to short!! Glad that you enjoyed many years with your 16 year old and hope that you have many more healthy, happy years with the rest!!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

There's nothing like the love from an older kitty. My Speckles turned 18 this year and she gets sweeter all the time. Embrace every moment and treasure every purr.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I am so sorry for you loss, Kathy.

I have a 16 year old girl, Mimi, who shows no sign of slowing down at all, thank goodness. Actually, she will turn 16 on the 18th of this month. She has been with me since she was 6 weeks old. She is precious and still very active, thank goodness!!!

I hope your remaining 4 have long lives ahead of them.

Logan

In Praise of Old Cats
    Hear, hear!

Sorry to hear about your 16 year old, but glad you've got the quartet to still keep you company.

As most people know here, I recently lost my best boy, Tubby. He was 18 1/2. He left behind his "sister" Peanut who is 16 1/2 now. She is as sweet as ever and has tolerated her new "brother", CJ (who is 7 years old), better than expected and has even seemed to become more playful and energetic since his arrival. They don't exactly play, but he does lope after her in a mock game of chase now and then. Everyone knows he could bowl her over in a heart beat and whoop the tar out of her, but he is a gentle little brother and he abides her mock snootiness.

Long live the oldsters!

Oh, and hopefully Tubby's sweetheart, Samantha, will chime in here. I believe she is to turn 17 any day now.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

MOST,OF THE FOUND CATS,ARE GETTING A LITTLE LONG,IN THE TOOTH,AND I LOVE THEM MORE,ANDMORE,EVERY YEAR,AS THAT IS ANOTHER YEAR,OF LOVE,THAT WE HAVE SHARED.

WE ARE SORRY,TO HEAR,ABOUT YOUR CAT.WHAT WAS YOUR CATS NAME,AND IS THERE A PHOTO,THAT YOU CAN SHARE,IT HELPS,TO TALK,ABOUT YOUR BABY,BECAYUSE WE AT PET TALK,HAVE ALL DONE,THROUGH,THE LOSS,OF A BELOVED COMPANION.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Old cats

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry companion. While Groucho is only 4, I do look forward to many more happy years with him. Elder cats can be so loveable, sweet, and very devoted companions.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Older and lovable - hummmmmmm. Why did I get them at a year old???? LOL

I feel sorry for one 12 year old cat - a kill shelter has her in Baytown - she was owner released because an elderly lady couldn't care for her anymore - doesn't she know they will kill her in less than a week? What to do what to do???? I can't save them all but I'd sure like too!

Debbie

Five years ago we had 4 senior citizens and all of them made it to the ripe old ages of 17...all of them. One by one, they passed over to the RB; when Buzzy, our last old guy started failing, we adopted 2 kittens from Animal Rescue and they perked him up for a while.

There is much to be said for older cats. I miss each and every one of them.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Thank you all so much for your sweet thoughts. Chuck will always be with me for several reasons. First, he was very connected to me mentally and second, because I was with him when he took his last breath on my bed.

He had a great life and I just feel very blessed to have been 'owned' by such a smart little orange tabby who never had a sick day in his life until the very end. In all honesty, I haven't shed a tear for him since I really do feel that by being with him when he died, he's somehow still with me. And my boys wouldn't let me grieve, they were so attentiveand wouldn't let me be alone for one second.

And now my other old tabbies will get their fair share of unending affection.
    Last edited by kathy; 06-02-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Kathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss! I absolutely LOVE my senior, Mollie Rose, who turned 11 on Mother's Day. Nothing bothers her. No matter how many fosters I take in. She the most laid back, mellow cat I've ever had.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

THAT IS THE ONE THING,THAT KEEPS ME GOING,IS HAVING NICE LUNCHES,WITH MY CAT ANGELS,AND THIER FRIENDS,AND KNOWING,THAT MY FOUND CATS,ARE WAITING,FOR ME,AS ARE MY FRIENDS,ON PET TALK.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh my gosh Kathy! My kitty is also named Chuck and he just turned 11. I am soooooooooo sorry for your loss. I do know when my Chuckie goes to Jesus, I will be a basket case for a long time.
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

I was very fortunate to find out that he had liver cancer with a diagnosis of 2-3 months so he got all the fresh chicken he wanted and we had lots of one on one talks. And since he never stopped eating, which I was told would be the sign that it was time to take him to the vet, he was with me when the end came.

I knew it was his last few hours so I put him on the bed, wrapped in a towel and we just stared at each other. I had his total attention which was not something he gave to me normally.

It's why I haven't really greived. I just feel soo blessed to have had an animal who subtly taught me so much. It may not happen again and that's o.k.

Simple pet love is enough.....but when they're teachers, it's really amazing.

My bottle baby, Leonardo turns 15 in August. And Luke is now 13. Grandma, is around 10, I think. Chester is my baby and he is now 5.

I don't let a day go by without telling them I love them. I really can't stand to think of the time when they will leave me.

They are the only reason I bother to get out of bed any more.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~