Thread: Allergy Question

Allergy Question

We are getting a Dachshund in the next couple of weeks (they're almost ready!)! My husband is allergic to just about every dog we have come in contact with, even a shih-tzu bothers him. I was told by the breeder and some other people that as long as we brush and bathe a dog regularly, we shouldn't have any problems with this dog. Does anyone know if this really works?

My husband's doctor told him this also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll say the same thing I say to everybody who has allergy questions. Spend time with the breed or even the dog before buying one or it may end up in heartache. See if you could foster a homeless doxie from a nearby shelter or see if a breeder wil allow you to spend time with their dogs. Allergies can take a while to surface so don't think that one allergy-free day means that they won't surface after a few weeks. I hope you are able to keep the dog you get but I wouldn't want you to find out that you have to give it up after the dog's become one of the family.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I second IRescue452. Have your husband spend time at the breeders first before you decide to take the pup home. It would be worth it to prevent the heartbrake of having to rehome your dog if your husband ends up allergic.

Brushing and bathing do improve allergies though (only if the non allergic person brushes and bathes the dog of course). Also, keeping the dog out of the bedroom would be a good rule to set down.

But definitely spend times with doxies first before bringing home a new family member that you might have to give up.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I'm not sure how you'd prevent it really but Dachshunds can't have too many baths because they develop skin problems. Also, a Dachshund isn't really a great breed for allergy sufferers. One of my Uncles is allergic to dogs and even 'hypo-allergenic breeds' bother him. When he comes over to visit and happens to get a little too close to Tia (my Dachshund) he gets an allergic reaction. If I were you Id re-think about getting a Doxie unless maybe you could get a wirehaired one....

Spending time at the breeders house with the adult Dachshunds would probably be the best choice before you bring your pup home and see how your husband reacts to them, if he gets a bad reaction it's probably wisest not to get a pup. Good luck to you and your husband!

Here's a pic of Tia:
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 08-10-2005 at 02:20 AM.

I agree with Orangutango. She has doxie's and know what she is talking about.

Good luck!-
    Steph and Jes

I recently read an article that de-bunked the myths surrounding "hypo-allergenic" breeds. Basically, all dogs can cause allergic reactions doubtless of their coat texture. It all depends on the individual. However, once you find the *individual dog right for the individual human*, there are steps you can take to improve the situation. For example, if you have carpeted floors, it'd be a good idea to get rid of them or vaccuum daily. The reason is quite obvious as the carpets catch dog dander (cause of allergy). You're also right in the sense that you must be vigilant with grooming sessions. You DO need to bathe/dry bathe and brush daily/weekly. However, most dog breeds cannot tolerate more than twice-a-month baths as they dry the skin and fur out. If you're going to bathe more than twice a month, you should look for a coat conditioner. Remember, the vacuum is your best friend! Vacuum everything that might catch your dog's fur. This will include the sofa, fabric chairs, curtains, carpets, dog bed, dog crate, etc. etc. I hope this helps you and I agree with all the above posters. Good Luck!