Thread: Information on Horses...

Information on Horses...

I'm looking for some information on general care of horses. Such as what to feed them, how much to feed them, when they should be out of the stall and when they should be in one, what kind of brushes you need to buy, how to find tack that will fit you and your horse, etc. Basically everything you need to know about horses, or just some interesting information. I have always thought that when I get older I would get a horse, but recently I realized I don't really know much about how to care for one.

So I have been doing tons of searches on google and yahoo. I have found alot of great information, but I know a lot of people on here own, or love horses. So I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting some sites or information about horse care. I would greatly appreciate it!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Well, first you have to decide if you want to commit to riding them, taking care of them, and paying for feed, vet bills, and shoeing. Think about it: you should ride them/ exercise them at least 4 times a week. Do you have this time, and are you willing to devote it?

A good horse costs at least 4-5 thousand dollars. Do you have this money? You should also keep in mind that the amounts will increase over time, for the reasons I listed above. If you board them at a local barn or riding place, I'm pretty sure you can just pay monthly board, feeding, mucking, and blanketing. For instance, hired grooms there will do this for you, but you have to pay monthly bills. This is not including farrier bills. The farrier will come out every 6 to 8 weeks to trim your horse's feet and give him new shoes. Each time, this costs about 100 dollars. You should also keep vet bills in mind. For feeding, a horse (15 hh and over, sometimes less, but no smaller than 14.2 hh) eats about 10-20 lbs a day, and ponies (14.2 hh and lower) eat about 8- 10 lbs a day of alfalfa, oat, grass, timmothy, 3 way, or 4 way hay. A good bridle costs about 70 dollars, and a good saddle costs about 5 to 7 hundred. Bits, stirrup irons, stirrup pads, helmets, etc. are separate. You will also have to buy a haulter and leadrope, a blanket.... ahh, the expenses are endless, but it all pays off.

As far as housing goes, a good sized horse pipe corral is 12 x 24 feet. (rectangle). You can also see what people house their horses in at boarding barns. Some keep them in box stalls.

For brushes, the main ones you'll need are: A curry comb to get extra hair off their coat, a hard brush to brush the extra hair and dirt off their coat and legs, a hoof pick to get the dirt, mud and manure out of their hooves, a mane and tail comb/brush to get shavings out of their mane, tail and forelock, a soft brush for their face, and a rag to wipe their noses. A few other good things to carry in your tote box are fly spray, show sheen/ cowboy magic, etc. You can ask people at tack stores for other handy equiptment.

Hope that helped. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask... I've been riding for 7 years.

A good horse costs at least 4-5 thousand dollars.

That depends, I know that buying a horse shouldn't cost must.... I have been told from a number of horse people that I should NEVER spend more than a 1000 on a horse, I found some good horses for about 500-600 dollars. But training the horse if it isn't will take a lot of money.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Originally posted by animal_rescue
    That depends, I know that buying a horse shouldn't cost must.... I have been told from a number of horse people that I should NEVER spend more than a 1000 on a horse, I found some good horses for about 500-600 dollars. But training the horse if it isn't will take a lot of money.
    Well, it depends, it might be different for you... (you ride western, right?) Because I ride english, and most of the time you also have to worry about jumping and dressage as well in my category, so the horse has to be completely sound and capable. Horses like this usually cost more. For example, Merlin is a quite valueble pony, since he can do 2nd-3rd level dressage, (he looks like a little lippizzaner in the dressage arena!) is quiet on the trail, and even though he is only 13.3 hh, he can jump 4 feet! We got him for about 7 thousand. And we're not rich either.

At my barn the monthey boarding is $380 and that includes three meals a day, turning out, mucking stalls. The general idea around my barn is that you can usually get a good horse if you are not a serious competitor for about $2000-$5000. Player was free to be saved, but he was an ex-rachorse and needed to be re-trained.

Niņo & Eliza

If you rescue them from a shelter, a good horse can be as low as $500. I've seen shelter horses of all ages and that have a full range of training. I also would like a horse when I get my own place. Of course it would have to be older, a companion not a riding horse for me. My main question is kind of morbid, but since I'm into rescueing older animals its an important question. What do you do with a large animal's body when it dies? I know that my friend's cows go to a mink farm, but I couldn't handle sending a beloved pet there.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Originally posted by IRescue452
    What do you do with a large animal's body when it dies? I know that my friend's cows go to a mink farm, but I couldn't handle sending a beloved pet there.
    Well when Sis died we just buried her in the field.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I think it is pretty comon to burry them in their field.

Niņo & Eliza

flamepony12 - I understand the repsonsibilty of adding a new family member. With any new pet you have to deced if you can spend time with it, care for it etc. I just wanted to know some basic care questions on a horse. From what I have seen, you can adopt a perfectly sound horse for 500 to 900 dollars from a rescue. Of course you have to be careful, as with any horse, that the horse really isn't too good to be true. However, I will pay however much to purchase, house and care for my horse, although I hope it will live on my property so I can watch it graze in the field with it's buddy, but as I said, I know the responsibilty in adding a new family member.

Thanks for the information on brushes and stuff. I know that where I took horse back rideing lessons we would use three diffrent brushes on a horse before and after we tacked them. We also learned to pick out hooves and such, however, I didn't know the names of the brushes, so thanks for this information! Also, thanks for the information on the diffrent types of hay and how much to feed. I defintly want a horse, ponies are too small for me now.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Okay, just make sure they aren't in a grass pasture all day and night, or they'll founder.