Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random cat outbursts

Random cat outbursts

You are walking down your stairs late at night its kind of dark and you think you hear something down the stairs.You brush it off never suspecting it to be your 6 month old kitten or anything at all. You continue down the staris not noticeing the wide glowing eyes carefully watching your every move.You finally reach the bottem of the staris and out of nowere this small shadowey figure charges your position jumps up to your hips then after hearing you scream bloody murder runs away. If this or any thing like it has ever happend to you you are a victum of randam cat outbursts(RCO)as I call it. For no reason at all your cats image of you has changed from kind hearted provider of food and shealter to prey on his hunt to kill (ok maybe just to scare) The truth is or so I've read that incedents like this are quite common expically in kittens rather then older cats who are less active. I found it to be true considering my cat is now two years old and hasent done anything like that in awhile.(thank God) I gusse all it is is playfulness and the wrong time of the night to be walking down the stairs
    Last edited by topaz; 02-03-2002 at 04:30 PM.

Topaz welcome to Pet Talk! I hope you stick around. You have stumbled across the friendliest most fun site on the internet! Yes I think anyone who has had a kitten has experienced what you so accurately describe as a Randon Cat Outburst! My big orange tabby in particular used to love doing RCOs when my son would be coming out of the bathroom after his shower at night. He just loved those ankles without socks! My daughter also used to be hesitant to go downstairs at night since the stairs were often the setting for an attack. Fortunately now my furry boys are grown and it's been years since they have had a RCO!

RCO's are why I love cats so much! The energy and unpredictability of the pussycat is too fun! Ritz is almost two, and, ummm.. quite a bit larger now...her RCO's sound like a herd of elephants rumbling through the house...wheeeee
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Hello Topaz - and welcome to the bestest pet site around - everyone is equally pet crazy

Your brought back lots of lovely (and painful!!) memories of various furkids in the past who as babies had the RCO attack down to a fine art!!
    The best was Kisi (RB) a Siamese with a wicked sense of humour and thought that legs encased in tights (er... do you call 'em pantyhose?) looked much better with a sweet kitten dangling from them! OUCH!!!!
    Luckily the three who allow us to live with them at the moment have grown out doing it to us - they just do it to each other!

Lynne

I haven't had a kitten in a long, long time, but my Butter is the exception to the RCA theory. He's an adult and still takes great pleasure in hiding around the corner and leaping out on our ankles, bare or not. And just to prove he's not so smart , he will crouch in the broad daylight, convinced I can't see him (when I surely do see him) and leap on me then too! And he doesn't do it just once, but over and over again, getting a few steps ahead, crouching down and leaping again! LOL!!! What a silly fellow he is!!

Welcome to Pet Talk! I think you have started off with a "bang"!

Garbonzo Bean and Mocha Bean (6&7yrs) still do this to our dog Louie. It's a game for them. Bonzo does it to me every once in a while after "Catnip" or while I'm making the bed.

So funny! Only one of my cats still does this, to us and ESPECIALLY the dog!
    And this (was) a dog that had never been around cats until we brought her home in July or 2001- what a introduction for her!

Welcome to Pet Talk!

Yes, welcome Topaz, this is the BEST site!!

Noah does this more than Noel does, usually in the kitchen while I am making something involving turkey....or when I get up during the night to turn the heater off. WHAT are they doing awake at the hour is beyond me, (I know, they are nocturnal...)but to be THAT awake.... , I think it adds to why I love them so much, they are always full of surprises...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Hi Topaz,

That has not happened to us yet, thank goodness!! BUT Yum Yum will run back and forth REALLY FAST for some odd reason. She will do this about 2 or 3 times and then stop. It is so funny watching her.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

yum yum, I call that "crazy kitty time". Ours do that in the morning a lot. It is too funny to watch them!!

Yes, very funny!!! And I don't seem to have a camera around when they are doing these things!!! Like when I was trying to take a photo of Yum Yum eating with her hands. She sees the camera and stops!!!

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

That's what Noel used to do, she'd see the camera and walk over to me. I have so many pictures of her walking...

She has finally started to ignore me...she's becoming quite the model...hee hee

I don't have a cat who does RCO's but I do have a LOS (lazy ole stinker or another word that starts with "S") Braydee is BIG and fills up a whole step on my staircase and when he's there, HE's THERE and will not move so I can go up or down for nothin. Even if I try and brush him away with my foot - no way this big fur ball will budge an inch and he's always there when I taking a loadful of laundry downstairs or upstairs or when I have two full cat litter boxes I'm taking downstairs or upstairs He's gorgeous though - I put up with it

LOL LOL I laughed so hard at the topic of this thread!! Oh, how true it is!!! I've experienced many RCO's in my day. I have to wonder what it is that causes my cat to spaz out out of the blue every now and then. My parent's cat is especially active in RCO's. He's a lazy cat too, which makes it all that much more humerous. He'll get up and start scratching at the couch or the floor with his back arched up really high...then Wham!!! He takes off tearing through the house! It's really funny, and he makes funny sounds too.
    Marius will do RCO's...and they usually involve our upstairs banister that looks out over our living room below. Sometimes he'll lay on his side and pull himself along the rails with his front paws. Kinda hard to describe...but oh so funny to see!

Originally posted by Pam
    My daughter also used to be hesitant to go downstairs at night since the stairs were often the setting for an attack.
    Finally ... a plausible explanation for the "boogieman" under the stairs!