Thread: Advise please.

Advise please.

Hi to you all, this is my first post, what a great site lots of interesting reading. I am the owner of a 11 month old male cavalier king charles, who has a beautifull nature, very laid back, When charlie was 4 months old my hubby was out walking him and near buy where we live there are some houses that have steps leading to a basement and as my hubby and dog was walking passed one of these houses, the next minute my dogs head was inside a german shepards mouth,so this shepard was hiding in steps, so hubby kicked this shepard to release charlie picked up my dog and ran home, we took charlie straight to the vets diagnosis broken jaw, now this was 7 months ago, my dog today is very friendly towards other dogs runs over to them on the park sniffs them and of cause wants to play, now charlie did this the other day to a dog called lucky and lucky wasnt having any of this and went for him around the neck, owner replied to me lucky was just defending himself, this has left me very upset but allso confused, do I now let charlie be so friendly, as i dont want to keep him on a lead because he is so sociable, but i allso dont want him to be attacked again.

Thanks juju.

What you described is the classic pit fall to dog parks. You don't have control of other peoples dogs and can only hope that they do. Unfortunately, a lot of people going to dop parks don't have control of their dogs and a lot of dogs that shouldn't go to parks are.

You need to determine your willingness to allow Charlie to play and socialize but possibly come across another dogs that may not be friendly or well socialized. The best advice I can offer is to know your dogs body language and that of the other dogs around and leash Charlie if you suspect things aren't quite right. I would rather leash the dog just incase than worry about my dog being attacked. I am personally on guard everytime I go to the dog park. I don't let my guard down for a minute and always keep an eye on my dogs when other dogs are around. It only takes a split second for a dog fight to break out.

BTW... Welcome to Pet Talk!

Aww...poor guy!
    I would defenitly always keep your guard up as the last post recommended.
    And hopefully that there are people that are out there that have control of their pup!

I would also be aware of the dogs body language.

I only take my dogs to a dog park where all dogs must be up to date on shots, spayed/neutered, and have been examined by a dog trainer and acertained to be friendly. While this is no guarantee that no fights will occur, it sure beats an anyone-can-come park where no one knows names of owners or temperment of the dogs.

Mary

Thankyou all for your replys,Unfortunately in England were we live there are no rules as it seems you have, which to me is brilliant,so anyone and any dog can rome around.

Originally posted by juju
    Thankyou all for your replys,Unfortunately in England were we live there are no rules as it seems you have, which to me is brilliant,so anyone and any dog can rome around.
    I'm with you on that!

I thought us English were the nation of dog lovers but having read the posts here I think I have a lot to learn from you guys about raising a happy and well trained pooch! Thank you

First of all, welcome to PT! I agree with everyone, watch the other dogs, and keep Charlie CLOSE to you! That way if any dog acts "defensive" or anything, you can grab Charlie and walk away. Charlie will probably learn more as he gets older too!

Wow, I hope charlie is doing ok. Understand what you are feeling. My sparky was attacked in his own fenced in yard once. A pit bull jumped in the yard and attacked both my 'kids'. Made me wary of pits and i am careful of what dog i expose Sparky too. Of course, My Sparky says...Mom, i won that fight. I will win the next one too. Oh dear, a jack russell has no fear.
    Just be on your guard and watch and see....about all you can do
    Take care and God Bless